Mooning the cog

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAR-EMT40

Reaction score
Anyone here moon the cog last weekend? Saturday (10/14) around noon?

A friend of mine was suprised to see a bunch of people running towards the train and then was suprised when they dropped their pants. :eek:

Having heard of some of the reports on this board I was wondering if anyone here was involved. :D

Keith

24 years ago, Yes! Last weekend? No. My rear's to big a target for an cog employee with a chunk of coal. I wonder what the guys in the oil powered trains are going to throw at the mooners? Watch out for slingshots! :D

Not to be a killjoy but Ive ridden the Cog with my mother and many famlies take it as well. I just dont see the point in mooning a train full of older folks and kids.

sierra said:
Not to be a killjoy but Ive ridden the Cog with my mother and many famlies take it as well. I just dont see the point in mooning a train full of older folks and kids.

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. Whenever I hear about a mooning incident, I'm always more embarrassed for those doing it than those on the "receiving" end. And doing it to a cog full of kids strikes me as a little Michael Jackson-ish. A definite "10" on the cringe factor scale.

Agreed with Sierra and dvbl; childish and thoughtless. We are all ambassadors of the group called "hikers".

Artex said:
A simple solution would be to hike up the moutain instead.

(ducks)

:D

Simple solution indeed...let 'em hike up the mountain. And as some of the brain surgeons over on White Blaze pointed out, the cog riders are just "fat, lazy tourists" anyway. Let 'em get mooned.

The thing is...it's not that simple. Not all the cog riders are "fat, lazy tourists", which by the way is a vile and disgusting slur against people who are on a hard-earned vacation trying to have a nice time with their family and friends. Maybe one of those cog riders is man who used to hike these hills but no longer can because one of his legs is buried in a rice paddy in Vietnam. And maybe he's riding the cog with his 8-year-old grand-daughter, showing her all the mountains he used to climb before he went off to war. And then they see it, and he has to spend the next hour explaining to an 8-year-old why four grown men dropped their pants in front of a train full of strangers.

Life throws some curve balls. Not everyone is able to run marathons and long distance trail runs, and then become overly impressed with themselves, and post their times and distances on the web for everyone to see. Some people, because of unfortunate circumstances, have been reduced to the squalor of having to ride the cog with the fat, lazy tourists.

Once in a blue moon, I'll do it! :)

In all seriousness, I have done it once, and won't do it again. I kind of felt bad. But its not the tourists that I mooned, it was the lovely black carcinogen air that I had to breathe in even before the cog arrived. I mooned the idea of a mountain trying to lead the way in important scientific discovery with global warming also manufactures some pretty serious CO2 from the cog all at the same time. Kind of a double standard. But that's not the tourists fault, and thats why I felt bad. Maybe I should moon whoever makes the decision to keep the cog in business next time? :rolleyes:

Peakbagr said:
Lets see how long this one goes.

Yeah. I thought I asked a simple question. Instead I get a morality lecture. :rolleyes:

Aparently no one in the forum did it. That was all I was really trying to find out.

Keith

Nobody here would admit it if they did :eek: esp now

I would be willing to bet 95% of the people on the cog get a laugh at this tradition that has been going on forever. :)

Those 5% - well they just don't have sense of humor.............

I doubt anyone is going to be emotionally wounded from seeing a bare bum. ;) ;)

It just some goofing around - nothing more nothing less....

artex - last time we chatted, you didn't seem overly impressed with yourself. :p :p :p

Last edited:
giggy said:
Nobody here would admit it if they did :eek: esp now

I would be willing to bet 95% of the people on the cog get a laugh at this tradition that has been going on forever. :)

Those 5% - well they just don't have sense of humor.............

I doubt anyone is going to be emotionally wounded from seeing a bare bum. ;) ;)

It just some goofing around - nothing more nothing less....

artex - last time we chatted, you didn't seem overly impressed with yourself. :p :p :p

No 95% don't laugh. I worked as a certified Brakeman for a summer there. Some comment and laugh some miss it but they don't go crazy for it.

Before I worked there I thought the hikers that moon were childish and still do. Some of these guys grow up to become leaders,town fathers,etc. They never grow up as well. :eek:

I think the hiking oommunity should show the Cog some respect and it would be good to offer them some kind of plaque etc. as they have helped many hikers in all kinds of ways ,stranded ill prepared,tired,injured hikers with little thanks. Just lot's of bad rap about the train.

Remember the train only burns fuel up the mountain not down. :D

Thanks for the civil, well-informed post, CaptCaper. I still think mooning the cog is pretty funny, but you make a good point.

-Jamie

Hopefully mooning is a political statment on the environmental effects of coal burning rather than sillyness which may offend some train riders. Someone mentioned oil powered engines up there. Is that true? Are they cleaner?

the cog

A while ago an enviro-type told me that probably hikers driving their cars to the trailhead cause more pollution than the cog. ...

The Cog and the Road have been there a lot longer than the hikers.
Back in the 1860s and maybe today, more people think it makes more sense to ride up than hike up. We hikers are probably a small minority....and need to be reminded of that once in a while..
but maybe we like it that way..
And some of us ardent hikers got our first view of the mts from the cog.

Status
Not open for further replies.