Too cold even for the ghosts

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark

Reaction score
From Mount Washington Weather Center:

Observer's Comments:

03:12 AM Wed Jan 14, 2004 EST
Over the years there have been many tales of "The Presence" here on the summit of Mount Washington. Tonight, rather then snickering at these stories, I became a believer. As we were passing food around the dinner table, we heard the tower door open, and then shut. OK, so the winds which are gusting to over 100 MPH generated enough force to open the door that always latches shut. I'll buy it. What I don't buy though, is how thirty seconds later, the "wind" turned the TV on to watch the evening news. At this time we were all stuffing our faces, and it wasn't Nin because he was watching us from the heater, while wishing he was stuffing his face. The only theory is that when the temperature drops lower then forty degrees below zero Celsius or Fahrenheit, it just becomes too much for the presence to handle, so it pays us a visit. We'll accept this though, because the presence is earning its stay. Liz and I both heard someone de-icing the tower for us... yikes!

The weather outside is unreal. Working in temperatures 73 degrees below freezing is one thing, but couple that with the wind, and it has the potential to be a dangerous experience. The wind chill value is approaching 100 degrees below zero. Please don't pay us a visit over the next few days. Conditions do not get much more extreme up here, or anywhere in the world then they are right now.

What I find most amazing about this cold air, is that not only did we break a record low for the date when we hit -41 degrees... we shattered the old record of -28 which has stood since 1941! As Tim mentioned before, you can access your wind speed data by going to this link

Mount Washington / Mount Everest Comparison

To add on another part to Mark's post, I thought I would look up the weather on Mount Everest and see what it is, according to the following site:

http://www.mounteverest.net/smhi/everestforecast.shtml

The forecasted temp on the summit is -39C, while the summit of Mount Washington is -38F. When you convert it, they are almost the same, according to the following website:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/temperature.htm

But the windspeeds on Mt Washington are double that on Everest.

Sooooo... For those who poo-poo Mt Washington, at least as of noontime today, it is colder on the summit there then the summit of Everest.

Brrrrrr.....
Kevin

PS, yes I have too much time on my hands at lunch.

From today's Avalanche Bulletin:
The windchill at the summit is approaching -100F and new daily low temperature records are being set. The wise may want to think about staying indoors and being an armchair mountaineer for the remainder of the week.
Great idea, except that I have to go get some more wood for my stove. Brrrr

mavs00 said:
As a side point, I can't even imagine what a -100 degree wind chill feels like, and I'm pretty sure I don't want to.

Neither do I! I'm sure it's painful ........
If it's too cold for ghosts than it's way too cold for me!