Tabletop and Phelps? Saturday, March 3?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I have about 6 hours trailtime to devote on saturday and I'm wondering if its reasonable to combine Tabletop and Phelps from the Van Hovenburg Trail, shooting for Tabletop first and Phelps on the way back?

Reasonable? Any joiners?

Thx
Sabrina

It's reasonable but 6 hours might not be enough time for both unless your running!
Six hours might get you one or the other but still cutting it close.

una_dogger said:
I have about 6 hours trailtime to devote on saturday and I'm wondering if its reasonable to combine Tabletop and Phelps from the Van Hovenburg Trail, shooting for Tabletop first and Phelps on the way back?

Reasonable?
It's about 12 miles to do both. If the trails stay broken out and you can walk an average of 2 MPH, yes. I can't! If it was me, I'd go for Tabletop first, then see if I had enough time to do Phelps. If you want to play it conservative, do the opposite. Good luck!

Ok, thanks Skyclimber, I had a feeling about that. ;)

I was thinking just that Tom, go for Tabletop, and if I'm feeling strong and have time try to knab Phelps on the return.

Based on what Skyclimber has added, maybe I'll decide at the Phelps junction :)

Thank yee kindleeeeee!

A second thought

It clearly takes longer by almost a factor of two to summit Phelps from the Phelps jct, than it takes to summit Table Top from the Tabletop jct. So I would summit Phelps first since it takes longer and then if you have sufficient time add to that tack on Tabletop.

Just another point of view! :)

Thanks for that suggestion. NY Q&A Forum rocks!! :)

With the weather report, it looks like it will be a trailbreaking mission to get to either and I'll be lucky to tag a summit given my time constraints, but I'm going to try! :p

Thank you, BlackSpruce and IceNSnow for that considerate reminder.

I've never dropped pack before, unless its just to toss it up over some immediate obstacle and then go right back on! I simply don't feel comfortable without all my gear, should I or another need it.

Wise words!

:D

Last edited:
una_dogger said:
I simply don't feel comfortable without all my gear, should I or another need it.
:D

Isn't it funny how that works! There have been many times when I have needed something that someone else brought or visa versa - especially treats! :D

The one time ever that I left my pack was on a Summer hike. I later regretted that decision, as descending Couchsachraga, I rammed my head into a broken branch and cut it pretty good. Fortunately another hiker was just approaching and actually had bandages to wrap up my wound. I learned a valuable lesson and will NEVER LEAVE MY PACK AGAIN!

And once Pat and I dropped our big packs to bushwhack but neglected to mark their location. After 45 minutes of horrified searching, we found them. Can you imagine having to replace tent/bags/pads/packs/stove/etc??

I made the mistake of dropping pack on the Mt. Abraham spur when backpacking along the AT. By the time I summitted I was wet and chilled and not doing well at all.

Now, the only time I'll generally drop pack is when I step off trail to "examine the flora".

I even took my full overnight pack up the West Bond spur...

I pretty much consider it extra conditioning. I take my winter pack, complete with snowshoes and crampons, cross country skiiing. I know I'll probably never need the stuff, but its a good opportunity for endurance and strength training.
Since up to this whole list obsession started, I was primarily a long distance backpacker. I enjoy having wieght on my back! :eek:

I drop my pack sometimes. I think it is situational. A calculated risk. I know I'm taking a risk when I do it and understand the potential consequences. I'm not recommending others do it but sometimes I do.