Suggestions for a 25 mile loop in the Whites?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pammy

Reaction score
Hey All. Can anyone suggest a good loop approximately 20-25 miles long in the Whites? I'd like to get as many 4000 footers in that I haven't hiked yet. I'm about half way through. Any 4000 footer peaks I can add to the Trypyramids to make it a longer hike? Doesn't have to be a 4000 footer added to the Trypyramids, but would be great. I believe Whiteface can be added right?

I've already done the Presi's, the Hancocks, Carters, and the Bonds. Have not done Owls Head, the Twins, Isolation, Trypyramids, Wildcat Peaks, Zealand, Whiteface,
Tecumseh, Passaconaway, Moriah

Thanks!
Pam

Pammy said:
Hey All. Can anyone suggest a good loop approximately 20-25 miles long in the Whites? I'd like to get as many 4000 footers in that I haven't hiked yet. I'm about half way through. Any 4000 footer peaks I can add to the Trypyramids to make it a longer hike? Doesn't have to be a 4000 footer added to the Trypyramids, but would be great. I believe Whiteface can be added right?

I've already done the Presi's, the Hancocks, Carters, and the Bonds. Have not done Owls Head, the Twins, Isolation, Trypyramids, Wildcat Peaks, Zealand, Whiteface,

Thanks!
Pam
You can do Trypyramid-Sleepers-Whiteface-Passaconaway loop with a bit of a road walk, I believe. Or you can use the Firewarden's Trail and go up Hale - Zealand - Guyot - Twins (and you can add Bonds as an out and back), finishing up at the same trailhead (North Twin) so no walking/car spot needed. PM me for details on that last one.

-Dr. Wu

Pammy,

See my question about the Tripyramid>Whiteface>Passaconaway loop. If you start from the Kanc with the Livermore Trail and ascend the North Slide and end with Olivarian Brook Trail, you'll have an 18.4 mile trip with four 4kers. It's a little shorter than 25 miles, but you could walk on the Kance 6.6 miles to get in your 25. ;)

I Teo. I just found that thread a few minutes ago and copied the info down. Do you feel you did it in the best direction? I think 18.4 miles would be good. It's a warm up hike for the 100 mile wilderness in a few weeks. :)

Bye
Pam

TEO said:
Pammy,

See my question about the Tripyramid>Whiteface>Passaconaway loop. If you start from the Kanc with the Livermore Trail and ascend the North Slide and end with Olivarian Brook Trail, you'll have an 18.4 mile trip with four 4kers. It's a little shorter than 25 miles, but you could walk on the Kance 6.6 miles to get in your 25. ;)

Thanks Dr. Wu. How long is the Hale - Zealand - Guyot - Twins loop?
Pam

dr_wu002 said:
You can do Trypyramid-Sleepers-Whiteface-Passaconaway loop with a bit of a road walk, I believe. Or you can use the Firewarden's Trail and go up Hale - Zealand - Guyot - Twins (and you can add Bonds as an out and back), finishing up at the same trailhead (North Twin) so no walking/car spot needed. PM me for details on that last one.

-Dr. Wu

Pammy said:
Thanks Dr. Wu. How long is the Hale - Zealand - Guyot - Twins loop?
Pam
I don't know -- 18 miles or so. But you can add the Bonds to bump it into the 25 mile range if you want. I did this hike a few years ago. It's a lot of fun. The Firewarden's Trail to Hale isn't on any current maps but it's wicked easy to find and you can also print out some older maps that have the trail on it. It's a nice loop. Do a search for the Firewarden's Trail on Hale and you'll get a bunch of hits.

-Dr. Wu

Pammy said:
Have not done Owls Head, the Twins, Isolation, Trypyramids, Wildcat Peaks, Zealand, Whiteface,

Thanks!
Pam

The Hale-Zealand-Twins loop is indeed a wonderful hike. I have it at 18.4 miles and if you add the Bonds you get to 24.7 miles. The Fire Warden’s Trail is one of the nicest forest walks I have been on in the Whites and there are great viewpoints from Zeacliff, Guyot, South Guyot, all of the Bonds and both Twins. On Hale you have to stand on the rock pile and think tall.

Other suggestions would be:

Franconia Ridge from the Wilderness and Osseo Trails, from Mt Lafayette backtrack to North Lincoln, head down the Lincoln Slide, turn left (North) into the woods when you get deep into the stream area, turn right (East) and head down through the open woods keeping the runoff stream from the Slide on your right. You will come out crossing Lincoln Brook and immediately hopping onto the Lincoln Brook Trail. Head right (South) and in about a mile you’ll come to the Owl’s Head Slide Trail on your left. Ascend and descend Owl’s Head and head back to the Wilderness Trail via Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook Trails. 25.0 miles.

Franconia Ridge again from the Wilderness Trail but when you get to Mt Lafayette keep going over to Mt Garfield and over the other side. Restock water at the junction of the Garfield Ridge Campsite Trail then head down to 13 Falls via the Franconia Brook Trail. Continue out to Lincoln Woods via the Wilderness Trail. 25.1 miles.

Tripyramids-Whiteface-Passaconaway can be done in 16.8 miles of trails and 3.6 miles of road walk if you use Pine Bend Brook and Oliverian Brook Trails at either end. I’d park at Sabbaday Falls parking area because it will break up your road walk (1.0 miles to Pine Bend and 2.6 miles to Oliverian Brook), it is busier and less isolated than the Oliverian lot and not right on the road like at Pine Bend.

You could also do Tripyramids-Whiteface-Passaconaway from the Waterville Valley side via Livermore, Scaur Ridge, Pine Bend Brook (avoiding the North Slide), over the Tri’s, then the long out and back to Whiteface and Passaconaway. The long out and back may deter you and you still have the tedium of the Livermore Road walk. I’m estimating this to be about 22 to 23 miles.

Mt Isolation can be done on a nice out and back by starting on the Davis Path on Rte 302. This route crosses some non-4000 footers but several of them have unique viewpoints to the surrounding mountains and valleys. 21.4 miles.

Moriah, the Carters (which you’ve done) and the Wildcats can be done together but it is not really a loop. If you have two cars (or a car and a bike) spot one of them near the Wildcat ski area and start up Moriah via either the Stoney Brook Trail or the Carter-Moriah Trail. Cross all the Carters trying not to avoid Mt Hight (great views), down to the Hut from Carter Dome and up and over the Wildcats via the Wildcat Ridge Trail. From Wildcat D’s platform, head down the Polecat ski trails (keep to the right until you see the sign “Easy way down.” 19 to 20 miles depending up your start up Mt Moriah.

JohnL

Last edited:
Hi John. Thank you SO MUCH for all the detailed information! It's been a great help....looks like I have several choices! Thanks again and happy hiking!
Pam

JohnL said:
The Hale-Zealand-Twins loop is indeed a wonderful hike. I have it at 18.4 miles and if you add the Bonds you get to 24.7 miles. The Fire Warden’s Trail is one of the nicest forest walks I have been on in the Whites and there are great viewpoints from Zeacliff, Guyot, South Guyot, all of the Bonds and both Twins. On Hale you have to stand on the rock pile and think tall.

Franconia Ridge from the Wilderness and Osseo Trails, from Mt Lafayette backtrack to North Lincoln, head down the Lincoln Slide, turn left (North) into the woods when you get deep into the stream area, turn right (East) and head down through the open woods keeping the runoff stream from the Slide on your right. You will come out crossing Lincoln Brook and immediately hopping onto the Lincoln Brook Trail. Head right (South) and in about a mile you’ll come to the Owl’s Head Slide Trail on your left. Ascend and descend Owl’s Head and head back to the Wilderness Trail via Lincoln Brook and Franconia Brook Trails. 25.0 miles.

Franconia Ridge again from the Wilderness Trail but when you get to Mt Lafayette keep going over to Mt Garfield and over the other side. Restock water at the junction of the Garfield Ridge Campsite Trail then head down to 13 Falls via the Franconia Brook Trail. Continue out to Lincoln Woods via the Wilderness Trail. 25.1 miles.

Tripyramids-Whiteface-Passaconaway can be done in 16.8 miles of trails and 3.6 miles of road walk if you use Pine Bend Brook and Oliverian Brook Trails at either end. I’d park at Sabbaday Falls parking area because it will break up your road walk (1.0 miles to Pine Bend and 2.6 miles to Oliverian Brook), it is busier and less isolated than the Oliverian lot and not right on the road like at Pine Bend.

You could also do Tripyramids-Whiteface-Passaconaway from the Waterville Valley side via Livermore, Scaur Ridge, Pine Bend Brook (avoiding the North Slide), over the Tri’s, then the long out and back to Whiteface and Passaconaway. The long out and back may deter you and you still have the tedium of the Livermore Road walk. I’m estimating this to be about 22 to 23 miles.

Mt Isolation can be done on a nice out and back by starting on the Davis Path on Rte 302. This route crosses some non-4000 footers but several of them have unique viewpoints to the surrounding mountains and valleys. 21.4 miles.

Moriah, the Carters (which you’ve done) and the Wildcats can be done together but it is not really a loop. If you have two cars (or a car and a bike) spot one of them near the Wildcat ski area and start up Moriah via either the Stoney Brook Trail or the Carter-Moriah Trail. Cross all the Carters trying not to avoid Mt Hight (great views), down to the Hut from Carter Dome and up and over the Wildcats via the Wildcat Ridge Trail. From Wildcat D’s platform, head down the Polecat ski trails (keep to the right until you see the sign “Easy way down.” 19 to 20 miles depending up your start up Mt Moriah.

JohnL

JohnL said:

I'd recommend against this particular loop since it will be a long mileage day and adding in a time-consuming bushwhack during the latter part of the hike can really be asking for trouble. It is also difficult to estimate time and length on a trip like this since the bushwhack would take an undetermined amount of time and distance, and the distance to the true Owl's Head summit is a bit off since the herd path now extends at least 0.3 miles further along the ridge than the length that has been published in guidebooks. Climbing and descending those slides will also add a lot more time than your standard ridge-run type hike. A 25 mile day with the Lincoln and Owl's Head slides (and a bushwhack) probably takes about as much time and effort as a 29 or 30 mile hike normally would.

I think your TriPassaWhiteface loop or the Hale-Zealand-Twins loop would be excellent choices.

Glad I posted a note here. You've been a GREAT help!
I've decided it will be one of these two loops. TriPassaWhiteface loop or the Hale-Zealand-Twins loop
Pam

albee said:
I'd recommend against this particular loop since it will be a long mileage day and adding in a time-consuming bushwhack during the latter part of the hike can really be asking for trouble. It is also difficult to estimate time and length on a trip like this since the bushwhack would take an undetermined amount of time and distance, and the distance to the true Owl's Head summit is a bit off since the herd path now extends at least 0.3 miles further along the ridge than the length that has been published in guidebooks. Climbing and descending those slides will also add a lot more time than your standard ridge-run type hike. A 25 mile day with the Lincoln and Owl's Head slides (and a bushwhack) probably takes about as much time and effort as a 29 or 30 mile hike normally would.

I think your TriPassaWhiteface loop or the Hale-Zealand-Twins loop would be excellent choices.

Another that highly recommend Zealand>Twins. Also for a true loop Zealand>Bonds from Zealand is great. BUT, your best hike IMHO would not be a true loop but an overnight w/ a car spot, starting up Bondcliff from Lincoln Woods then camping at Guyot for the night and hitting South and North Twin from the Guyot side then backtrack and head out via Zealand and Hale...

JohnL said:
Mt Isolation can be done on a nice out and back by starting on the Davis Path on Rte 302. This route crosses some non-4000 footers but several of them have unique viewpoints to the surrounding mountains and valleys. 21.4 miles.JohnL

Pammy,

You might also look for a recent Mount Isolation thread where most of the options are posted, except for the loop going up southern Rocky Branch from Jericho Road and back out via the Davis Path and Stairs Col Trail, which I hiked with friend in the heat and humidity this past Tuesday (posted under NH Trail Conditions). This 19-mile route only retraces the first two miles of flat logging road at the start, but with over 4000 ft of vertical gain, it still kicked out butts. You could add side trips to the summits of Slide Peak, Mt. Davis, Resolution lean-to, etc., to up the mileage.