LBT or FBT?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

If you've hiked both, what trail is more enjoyable, Franconia Brook Trail or Lincoln Brook Trail? I'm doing a traverse starting at Lincoln Woods, so I won't be hitting both of them. I'm not in a rush, so I don't care that the LBT is longer (to get to Twin Brook Trail). I'm not a peakbagger, so taking the LBT in order to "bag" Owl's Head doesn't sweeten the deal for me (if anything I'd just head up the slide far enough to get some nice views and then drop back down. HERESY!!!).

Just wanna know which is more enjoyable as far as condition of trail, cascades/waterfalls, views (yeah, yeah, I know ;) ), less treacherous water crossings, general beauty of the trail, etc...

Also, which has better weather?...I don't feel like hiking in the rain.

Thanks.

LBT is a mess in the wet, many more difficult stream crossings, more elevation gain over the height of land, and easy to lose in the swampy area.

Can anyone verify that the beaver swamp/pond that completely covered a portion of the Franconia Brook Trail has caused a rerouting and/or bog bridges built? The latter is the rumor I heard was the result of tales of people having to wade knee-deep through it...

LBT does go by a number of gorgeous cascades in the last half mile before you get to 13 Falls and the Twin Brook trail. It may be easier to just take FBT to the junction, drop your pack, then go up-and-back for 10 minutes or so each way in order to check out the differnt waterfalls and swimming holes.

FBT seemed a bit monotonous and straight, but it was fun getting to the different brook crossings (Hellgate, Red Rock) and checking off the progress on the map.

Franconia Brook Trail is an old RR grade. Interestingly enough, there is another RR grade on the west side of Franconia Brook. If you want interesting, that might be a cool option... at this time of year, crossing and recrossing Franconia Brook (back to the FBT) wouldn't be a problem. I have yet to walk the old RR grade myself but judging from the other unmaintained RR grades in the area that I've been on, I bet it's at least in decent shape. You might find some old artifacts along the way... maybe that old steam engine that is rumored to be in the pemi some where!

It seems like FBT trail beaver ponds are crossable for the most part expecting to get a little wet. I hear LBT gets confusing North of the Owl's Head Slide and there's probably a bunch of old roads thrown in to the mix to make it even worse. When in doubt, head east -- you'll hit the FBT eventually.

-Dr. Wu

David Metsky said:
LBT is a mess in the wet, many more difficult stream crossings, more elevation gain over the height of land, and easy to lose in the swampy area.

But that is what makes it much more interesting than FBT, which I agree is quite boring.

I've done the section between the OH slide and 13 Falls 3 times and never really had any issues following the trail. Sure, you need to pay attention in some areas but never did I 'lose' the trail. The last time I went in there in July '05 I circumnavigated OH and the streams were so high I had to take my boots off 9 times in order to get across the swollen streams. However in the section between OH and 13 Falls, I had no problems staying dry.

Maybe it's me but I have not had any problems navigating this section of trail and I've done it in both directions.

(Edit) Oh yes and I like the more remote feel of LBT and I think it is a much more pleasingly aesthetic trail than FBT.

JohnL

Last edited:
If I wasn't pressed for time, and in the proper condition, I'd go the LBT route. It is much more scenic (the birch glad north of Owl's Head is beautiful). The FBT is such a boring march that I avoid it if possible.

MichaelJ said:
Can anyone verify that the beaver swamp/pond that completely covered a portion of the Franconia Brook Trail has caused a rerouting and/or bog bridges built? The latter is the rumor I heard was the result of tales of people having to wade knee-deep through it...

I hiked to 13 falls last Tuesday on the FBT and the beaver pond was still present. I had no problem crossing it. I didn’t see a re-route of the trail. However, with these recent afternoon downpours we have been receiving as of late, the pond might be a tad more difficult to cross.