Slant Rock leanto?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I'd like to know too. On the way down from the range in July, I thought I would go look for it. I started out along the signed trail to the leanto. The trail is a broadly hacked, muddy swath in the woods, with many trees cut. After a few minutes, I gave up. Didn't see it. I expect it's there, because there is a sign on the trail, but I can't confirm. Opinion: If it's there, it's no longer the Slant Rock leanto, it's more like the "halfway up Point Balk leanto." I don't support the current trend of moving leantos an extraordinarily long distance from water. Having hiked through Slant Rock dozens of times, I always enjoyed the leanto right where it was, and I never saw signs of any particularly bad damage to the rock or the brook that would be alleviated by moving the leanto to Timbuktu, or wherever it is. Seems like the move did more damage than leaving it where it was would have. Same goes for Spruce Lake #2 and Tyrell Pond on the NP. On the other hand, the move of Duck Hole #2 was well done. The leanto is a nice reasonable distance from the water, but not a half mile like the more recent relocations.

yes it is northeast of the rock itself on a bluff one of the best lean-to views in the high peaks. when facing the rock take the unmarked spur trail to the right. cook your food by the brook the underbrush was verry close to the lean-to the last time I was there,this can make for an intimate seting for a scent driven bear ,as he\she will be right on you. bear cans are for people who don,t like the rush of adrenaline "expiriance is nothing more than an engine that drives adaptation" Gonzo

It really exists?

Maybe I'll find that elusive lean-to some day. Last year, on the return loop from hiking the Great Range from Rt. 73, I tried to find it in the dark. I was exhausted, and really wanted to sleep in that lean-to, but I gave up looking after 15 minutes or so of wandering through the woods in the direction that the sign pointed. I slept on the ground again. Maybe some day...

Leanto? What leanto.

Hey Bob, We found the leanto but the path to it was very muddy. I turned around twice thinking that this could not be the path because it was so far and in complete disrepair. The sign on the tree is for sure the start but after several minutes of slogging one begins to wonder. But keep going, and you too can be amazed how far it is off the beaten path. The leanto became available on the second night but it wasn't worth moving to. We came in at night and couldn't find the darn tent sight either. Happy Trails
P.S. Hey Bob my #is 5344 class to 2004. Cool # aye?

Last edited:
Reekee, beat me by 3 months, eh? Did you "save" Allen for last, or put it off until it was the only one remaining?

I'll find that #%@ Slant Rock Regional Lean-to some day... yeah, definitely gonna find that lean-to... :p

Allen

It's funny but I see a lot of people do Allen last. It just sorta ended up being the last one for me. As you know, it's a long way off the beaten path. It was still a great climb with some great friends. Hope to see ya out there. Reekee

Reekee said:
It's funny but I see a lot of people do Allen last. It just sorta ended up being the last one for me. As you know, it's a long way off the beaten path. It was still a great climb with some great friends. Hope to see ya out there. Reekee
Yup, Laurie and I kept saying "We're NOT doing Allen last!" Bzzt! Wrong! :D

The good part though was that we were in shape for it by then! :D

I have slept in the most recent incarnation of the Slant Rock Lean-to and indeed it is a looong way from the brook. Great views though. We did our cooking and eating down near the brook in the clear area in front of Slant Rock. What was a PITA was when you realized you had forgotten something at the LT (like matches) and had to go back and get it.

The clear area right in front of the rock is the site of the former lean-to, hence the convenient logs scattered around to sit on. I found the new lean-to one day when I really needed to find its privy.