Fall on Mt. Tom

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
I went up Mt. Tom (in Easthampton, not the one in NH or anywhere else for that matter) today. I hadn't been up there in a coupla weeks. I was surprised as to how many trees were changing colors. Could this be due to the low rain levels? We got a deluge today.

There were also many signs and blazes which seemed to advertise the promise of nude hikers along the way. Last time Red Beard and I were up there we noticed this curiosity but now there seems to be more. I have not perceived any nude hikers on Mt. Tom and saw none today, perhaps to my disappointment (depends which hikers are naked, I guess). And, as twisted as it may seem, I did not in fact put up the signs myself.

See For Yerself

Anyway, it was a nice, misty day. Gettin' kinda colorful up there.

-Dr. Wu

All the pictures "about" naked but no pictures "of" anything naked. I just cannot give a green square for that kind of trip report! In all honesty I have been seeing trees turning orange and red for the past three weeks or so here in central NH. I have a burning bush in my yard where several of the leaves are deep dark red and most of the rest are totally green: I find it very pretty. I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow night.

I will make the prediction that it will be a very beautiful Autumn around here!

Whether it is nice around here or not: very nice trip report and pictures.

Paradox said:
All the pictures "about" naked but no pictures "of" anything naked. I just cannot give a green square for that kind of trip report! In all honesty I have been seeing trees turning orange and red for the past three weeks or so here in central NH. I have a burning bush in my yard where several of the leaves are deep dark red and most of the rest are totally green: I find it very pretty. I will try to post a picture of it tomorrow night.

I will make the prediction that it will be a very beautiful Autumn around here!

Whether it is nice around here or not: very nice trip report and pictures.
A coupla things:

1. Webshots doesn't allow nudie posts
2. The mods might have an issue with my post if Webshots did.
3. I didn't see any nudies; the promises proved false!

There's been emerging colors for a bit here but I was surprised to see how much on Mt. Tom.

-Dr. Wu

I'm sad to see that the M-M sign has been defaced. I know from talking with the Berkshire AMC that it took a hefty chunk of change to pay for and install those signs.

Last edited:
Dugan said:
I'm sad to see that the M-M sign has been defaced. I know from talking with the Berkshire AMC, it took a hefty chunk of change to pay for and install those signs.
I betcha it can be cleaned off and the rocks reblazed.

That wasn't the only sign that I saw like that.

-Dr. Wu

Dugan said:
All of which will incur a cost (of both time and money) that didn't need to happen.
I'll bring up some alcohol to wipe off the sign next time I go up.

It's a shame and it sucks but it's not the worst thing that could happen. I don't think this is an isolated incident either because last time I went by I say some of these bizarre signs but not all of them -- these were new. My guess is that if more time and effort is spent cleaning and replacing these signs the weird stuff will just reappear. Best thing, in my opinion, is to ignore it until the weirdo moves on to bigger and better things. In the meantime I bet the sign can be cleaned with some rubbing alcohol.

There's much uglier spray paint and stuff on some of the rocks that looks pretty permanent. That bothers me a whole lot more than someone scribbling "Naked" on the white blazes. Small potatoes in my opinion.

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
DougPaul said:
Me too. Every time I see this thread, my first thought is that it is an accident report...

Doug
is it your first inclination that you have to come and rescue me! :)

Hey!? Why would you so quickly associate my name with an accident report!? :mad:

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
If your first inclination that you have to come and rescue me! :)
By the time I got there, you would have already been rescued or it would be too late...

Hey!? Why would you so quickly associate my name with an accident report!? :mad:
It has nothing to do with your name. Any title of the form "Fall on/at <location>" suggests a possible accident to me. Had the title been "Autumn on Mt. Tom", no one would have become alarmed.

Glad that "fall" meant "autumn" in this case...

Doug

DougPaul said:
By the time I got there, you would have already been rescued or it would be too late...
Wait a minute!? Why the assumptions!? I could still be up there in need of help! Remember when you assume you make me into an ass and you into... something else! :confused: I could be lying in a ditch, somewhere on the top of Mt. Tom and well, it just so happens that I have my laptop with me and I found a wireless hot spot!!

I had better rethink this scenario. I seem to be at home.

Edit: it could have been a "metaphorical" fall such as a "fall from grace" or "the fall of Rome"

Second Edit: I could have put the title because I unconsciously wanted to be rescued!

-Dr. Wu

Last edited:
dr_wu002 said:
Wait a minute!? Why the assumptions!? I could still be up there in need of help! Remember when you assume you make me into an ass and you into... something else! :confused: I could be lying in a ditch, somewhere on the top of Mt. Tom and well, it just so happens that I have my laptop with me and I found a wireless hot spot!!
By the time I read your post, researched how to get to Mt Tom, and drove there, several hours would have elapsed. And once there, it is likely that I would be unable to hike to your location, given the current state of my leg. So I might have to call for rescue myself--I hope my cell phone would work...

But look on the bright side--while they are rescuing me, maybe they will also be able to find and rescue you. :)

Doug

Time to take a fluff-o-meter reading...