Carter Ledge/Middle Sister Trs on Chocorua

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocksnrolls

Reaction score
Phillipston, MA - Avatar: bushwacking off the top
Planning a trip to Chocorua and the Sisters next week. I've seen a trip report from back in May saying the Carter Ledge Tr can be hard to follow. Has anyone been on it lately? Would the ledge be particularly dangerous if it's wet? I'm thinking an ascent of Carter Ledge Tr and descent via M.Sister Tr would be the way to go...Or since it'll be midweek, maybe I should use the Piper Tr since it should be a good opportunity to hike that without major crowds. Maybe up Piper to Nickerson Ledge to Carter Ledge, bag the peaks and then descend Piper?

Piper Carter Ledge loop

The Piper, Carter Ledge and Nickerson Ledge trails make a great loop in either direction. The Carter Ledge trail has great views and none of the crowds of Piper. There is one traverse on a ledge that is somewhat exposed and might be dangerous if icy. If you are careful, I don't think it would be a problem crossing it wet. The lower Middle Sister trail can be pretty brushy, wet and is definitely less traveled than Carter Ledge. I've done the Carter Ledge, Middle Sister Trail loop from Rt. 16 and this is a very definite second to the Carter/Piper loop.

The Brook Trail, Liberty Trail loop is also very nice and worth doing.

rocksnrolls said:
Maybe up Piper to Nickerson Ledge to Carter Ledge, bag the peaks and then descend Piper?

Of the many possible loops this one is my favorite.

A longer variation on the loop suggested by carole, also starting and ending at the Piper lot on 16, is Piper-Nickerson-Carter Ledge-Middle Sister-Brook-Liberty-Hammond-Weetamoo-Piper. I did this on a fine September Saturday a couple of years ago, but in the other direction. If you are tired of the summit of Chocorua, however, or don't like the crowds there, this woudn't make sense.

Otherwise, you experience the excellent and lesser-hiked beauties of those Ledges (including the rare stand of jack pines mentioned in the AMC Guide), the summits of Middle Sister and Chocorua and the dramatic ledges south of Choc. going toward the Liberty Cabin.

Carter Ledge Trail can be a bit overgrown in places, but not bad. I believe that is the same trail where a rockslide/small avalanche nearly took out a portion of the trail. I wasn't sure (in July when I was there) whether the trail continued across the slide or switchbacked. After a few minutes, I found the trail switchbacking and off I went. The ledges can be pretty interesting, but ascending them won't be nearly as difficult.
Either way, hard to go wrong on Chocorua and the Sisters -- a great hike no matter which route!

sapblatt said:

That was our trip report - midweek in mid August. The Carter Ledge Trail was easy to follow although the newish slide that blacknblue mentioned is a little confusing - just stay to the right. The trail is quite spectacular. There is one short scramble traversing a small ledge near the jct with Middle Sister Trail where care is required, particularly if wet - others have also mentioned it. However, I could have descended this trail if conditions deteriorated wet or dry, (versus others such as Huntington Ravine that i wouldn't attempt). The Middle Sister trail back towards 16 is downright annoying - there are long sections where the trees/brush completely engulf the trail but even then it is not hard to follow since there is a well worn treadway and blue blazes. We had the three sisters to ourselves while over on Chocorua there had to be 40-50 people. What amazed us were the number of snakes we encountered - all of them in the woods (all garters and except one that we couldn't i.d.). When we do this hike again we'll go up Carter Ledge and over to Chocorua and down Piper connecting back to Carter Ledge. Bring lots of water - there is lots of sun exposure with all of the open ledges and dearth of water sources.

A highly recommended hike! I do remember a confusing herd path, probably on the Carter Ladge Trail, but you'll find your way. Nice views, and miles of exposed hiking by the time you get to Chocorua's summit. The Jack Pines, as mentioned by Amicus, are beautiful with views of the summit behind them. Keep your eyes peeled for bear and others foraging the abundance of berries and mast along this route.

Happy Trails :)

I like the Piper/Nickerson/Carter/Middle Sister route too. But there are a couple places where you may have to cast about a bit for the trail. Happy trails: