Keeping Score

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
This question is probably best sent to the AMC FTFC Committee, but their mailbox is full and everything gets bounced back.

I’m curious about list completion score keeping guidelines. I understand some hikers consider a winter hike to also qualify toward their three-season completion of the various lists. In other words, hike Lafayette in January and you can take double credit for it as a Winter peak and a three-season peak. This logic probably continues on into the Hundred Highest, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn this is not the intent. Specifically, Winter means Winter; and, Three-season means Spring-Summer-Fall.

The Winter rules are very specific but the three-season rules are a bit vague in this area.

Can somebody help clear this up for me?

Thanks.

:confused:

Think of it as "winter" and "all-season" rather than three-season.

So that way it makes sense as a hike in February qualifies as both a "winter" hike and an "all-season" hike. You can count it for both lists that way... at least that's my understanding of it.

- Ivy

According to the rules (see page 2 of the PDF), there is a "White Mountain 4000 Footer" list (a.k.a. NH48), for which there is also a "winter award", "given to those who climb all peaks of [the] list during calendar winter." The AMC does not appear to recognize such a thing as a "three-season list." (I have no affiliation with the AMC, will be happy to be corrected by an insider.)

It seems clear to me that you could climb all 48 for the first time in winter, thus qualifying for the 4000-Footer Club and the Winter Award at the same time.

If that's too easy, you can always set your own goals. (For example, some folks go for 12x48: each peak during each month.)

Last edited:
nartreb said:
According to the rules (see page 2 of the PDF), there is a "White Mountain 4000 Footer" list (a.k.a. NH48), for which there is also a "winter award", "given to those who climb all peaks of [the] list during calendar winter." The AMC does not appear to recognize such a thing as a "three-season list." (I have no affiliation with the AMC, will be happy to be corrected by an insider.)

It seems clear to me that you could climb all 48 for the first time in winter, thus qualifying for the 4000-Footer Club and the Winter Award at the same time.

If that's too easy, you can always set your own goals. (For example, some folks go for 12x48: each peak during each month.)
This is certainly the way the Catskills and ADKs work, FWIW...

poison ivy said:

- Ivy

Thanks Ivy, that adjustment in perspective clears it up. ;)

I'll make it official

BIGEarl said:
This question is probably best sent to the AMC FTFC Committee, but their mailbox is full and everything gets bounced back.

I’m curious about list completion score keeping guidelines. I understand some hikers consider a winter hike to also qualify toward their three-season completion of the various lists. In other words, hike Lafayette in January and you can take double credit for it as a Winter peak and a three-season peak. This logic probably continues on into the Hundred Highest, etc.

I wouldn’t be surprised to learn this is not the intent. Specifically, Winter means Winter; and, Three-season means Spring-Summer-Fall.

The Winter rules are very specific but the three-season rules are a bit vague in this area.

Can somebody help clear this up for me?

Thanks.

:confused:
The answers here are correct although I might nitpick and say "any-season" rather than "all-season" as the latter might suggest having to do them in each season (e.g. 48x4).
There have been cases where people have submitted a winter list and were surprised to find themselves inducted into both clubs simultaneously - although they only get the second (any-season) scroll and patch if the check has extra to cover the second application fee ($3).

I apologize for the problems with our mailbox; I'm still not having any luck sorting this out but hope to have some time to tackle it again during the Thanksgiving weekend. (At the moment I'm mostly trying to keep up with applications, which have only just now slowed down.) Until then, I can be reached by email at [email protected]

Eric Savage
Chair & Corresponding Secretary
AMC Four Thousand Footer Committee

poison ivy said:
It is more correctly "any-season", for "all-season" you need to climb them 4 times :)

nartreb said:
I finished both lists simultaneously not climbing them all in winter but over half had been climbed in winter only including the finishing peak. In fact I did a couple more rounds that way.

For more confusion, I did a similar thing with the SRK Greenway but they only gave me a winter # and certificate, so officially I am only a winter finisher but not any-season.