Wright-Algonquin-Iriquois 12/30/07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
This was Mimi's idea and a decision to do something more moderate today (or supposedly moderate) just so we could sleep in a bit. We didn't start our hike til 9am from the ADK Loj, with Pete, Cantdog, Mimi, and I snowshoeing out. We met (not) Bob or !bob (computer geek speak) at the Ark, !bob and Prino started a bit later cause they were XC Skiing, perhaps we'd run into each other but we never did.
Anyway, making good time to the Marcy Dam/Algonquin turnoff, Mimi and I would take short breaks and we'd gather Pete and Cantdog together for the trip to Wright Peak. We would all summit Wright together and at this point Pete and Cantdog decided to go out, so we parted company and Mimi and I continued onto Algonquin. Ran into some hikers returning but nobody going to Iriquois that day.

The strange thing was that the winds on Wright was almost or close enough to be completely calm, it was really odd. A lot different than Ajtiv's climb of Wright last winter where we turned back on Iriquois because of 50mphish winds directly in our face coming from the direction of Iriquois.

However, both wright and Algonquin were pretty much breezeless, enough so that no goggles or balaclavas were used and I even got some timed shots of Mimi and I.

We could see at least 2 cairns ahead so I took a compass bearing to I just to be safe and it concured with the cairns (and that is a good thing.. :D) with where I and Boundary are.. Couldn't see Boundary but we could just make out the col between them...

Found some old windblown tracks onto Boundary but nothing once we started to climb so we followed cairns and I would occasonally doublecheck my bearing. Going over Boundary and between B and I, I plunged my foot into a semi spruce trap which we would run into later.....

Summit of I was again, a bit breezy but nothing to sneeze at... I took some shots, pointed out where marshall, wallface, Cliff and Redfield, and MacNaughton would be and a nice impressive shot of the climb up Algonquin would be if we could see it.... ho Hum... and back we went.

it was 2pm on the summit of I and 2:30 on our return to the trail and it was an executive decision not to go back via Colden and Avalanche pass (even though we were told that the lakes are frozen enough)... and up we climbed A to get back the 3 miles to the Loj... Some wicked butt sliding off of Algonquin is awfully fun! And back we were..

Prino's got a good story about him and !Bob's day, but I'll wait for them to tell it.

I had to leave first thing Monday, but Cantdog, !bob, Mimi, and Prino left to ski the Whiteface autoroad in the fresh powder... jealous! They'll hopefully have some input here with their skiing adventure!

Pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/cycleslug/AlgonquinWrightIriquois

Oh, BTW, Mimi and I found a non-frozen GPS on the descent down from Algonquin towards the Algonquin/Boundary col. If you can describe the make and model... we should be able to return it to you. I tried to turn it on but it appears dead.

Jay

Forgot to mention that I fell into the same spruce trap on the way back! I tried to step over it but I guess it was bigger than originally thought and I lost my right leg up to the hip in it.. I managed to swim my way out as it wasn't too deep...

I think we were pretty good on navigating the herd paths but this short section on Boundary, we just picked our way through...

Oddly enough, is it me of does the new ADK guidebook map show that this is actually a marked trail to Iriquois. I always through it was a herdpath though with cairns on Boundary and the summit cairn on Iriquois. The trail that goes down to Lake Colden actually has a trailsign that somebody put an arrow and "Iriquois" on it to mark the herdpath which seems to me is indicated wrongly in the ADK guidebook...

Jay

Butt sliding in winterland

I very much enjoyed our hike on this wonderful second day of winter peakbagging. Iroquois was for me the highpoint of the day as it stands to be one of my favorite mountain in the DAKs. The first & last time I hiked this peak in early Dec/06, the conditions weather wise & herdpath were very similar. White-out vision & snow-filled herdpath by the prominent winds & the lack of travelers made the hike even more special. There is something special, almost enchanting, to be said about an untrodden path. After an excellent compass bearing from Jay from the big summit of the day, we proceeded with confidence knee-high snowed steps toward the little brother of Algonquin.

As for the many butt slides on our way down to the trailhead, well beside being a lot of yelling & yooping fun, it was so cool feeling like a kid again !!!

!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL & MANY HAPPY NEW TRAILS IN THE MONTHS TO COME !!!

Last edited:
Hey guys and girls, it looked that you have had a great weekend. I like the butt sliding Mimi, it seems that you had fun doing it. :)
And by the way, from Annie and me, Happy New Year 2008 to all. :)