Beta on Whitecap and North Kennebago Divide

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docross

In Memoriam to a Deceased Member
Reaction score
I have been told that the road toward the col between NKD and Whitecap is driveable with a passenger car, and plowed to within 1/2 mile of the col. Can anyone else confirm that is so?

Anyone have info whether Wiggle Brook Road is plowed and driveable to the vicinity of Cupsuptic Snow?

Thanks. DocRoss

I have been told that the road toward the col between NKD and Whitecap is driveable with a passenger car, and plowed to within 1/2 mile of the col. Can anyone else confirm that is so?

I can't confirm this, but I highly doubt it. I was last in that area 4 weeks ago, and Tim Pond Rd wasn't safely drivable with 4WD let alone Canada RD and Bear Brook Rd. Last winter when we did White Cap and NKD, the closest we could drive to those peaks was the junction of Tim Pond Rd and Canada Rd. Canada Rd and Wiggle Brook Rd were both snowmobile trails with 6 feet of snow on them :eek: . We did a 3 day backpack to do those peaks.

We did Boundary a month ago, and were able to drive down Cyclone Rd (with Maurice Peppin, the land owner's prior permission). We hiked/whacked to the Swath via Crystal Cavern Rd, and though we parked there, Cyclone Rd was plowed farther towards Camp Dam. This looks like the shortest way to do White Cap and NKD, but certainly has more whacking than doing the long hike up the road that goes to the col.

Maurice Peppin # 207-297-2555

they might be able to give you some info on canada rd. Not sure who to call for Tim pond rd.

Do not be surprised if whoever picks up the phone does not speak much English. Most of the loggers there are from Quebec.

Last year at the same time you were up there we drove down Cyclone Road and did a 'whack to Boundary via White Cap Pond and Dennison Bog. At the time I noted the road was plowed further south.

On the DeLorme there is a gate on the road, east of the col between NKD and Whitecap. In former days, people 'whacked from there. Is that how you did it last year?

Any info on the road to East Kennebago? Thanks! David

Frodo said:
I can't confirm this, but I highly doubt it. I was last in that area 4 weeks ago, and Tim Pond Rd wasn't safely drivable with 4WD let alone Canada RD and Bear Brook Rd. Last winter when we did White Cap and NKD, the closest we could drive to those peaks was the junction of Tim Pond Rd and Canada Rd. Canada Rd and Wiggle Brook Rd were both snowmobile trails with 6 feet of snow on them :eek: . We did a 3 day backpack to do those peaks.

We did Boundary a month ago, and were able to drive down Cyclone Rd (with Maurice Peppin, the land owner's prior permission). We hiked/whacked to the Swath via Crystal Cavern Rd, and though we parked there, Cyclone Rd was plowed farther towards Camp Dam. This looks like the shortest way to do White Cap and NKD, but certainly has more whacking than doing the long hike up the road that goes to the col.

KND & Whitecap

The last 2 times I bagged these peaks in winter it was via Lincoln Pond road and Bear Br. road. Lincoln Pond road is plowed up to Kennebago River because there is a large camp on the west side. The bridge over the river was out so forget coming in from Tim Pond road, even if it was plowed. It means a several mile ski/walk up the west side of Kennebago River to Wiggle Br. and then up to Bear Br. However, the advantage is these roads are part of a well used snowmo corridor and are easily walkable/skiable. There is no need to go all the way up to Coburn Gore and down. The snowmo trail goes right up between the 2 peaks, over to the west side and branches. One branch goes up to the boarder swathe and the other goes back down to Wiggle Br. Makes a big loop. Not all of the roads are shown on my old DeLorme's and some of the dotted trails are actually wide, graded roads. Also the bushwack to the 2 peaks from the snowmo trail is trivial. You should be able to get Cupsuptic Snow the same way.

I have a question about these routes: Cyclone Road isn't in my 2001 DeLorme. I'm guessing it's the one that comes down from Coburn Gore. I always thought that Canada Road went all the way up to there. Does Cyclone Road become Canada Road somewhere between Crystal Cavern Rd and the Wiggle Brook bridge?

But the real question is, doesn't that road start right by the customs station, like maybe right behind the US station? Do the border patrol guys notice or care about cars or trucks that take off down that road? Not that a lot of terrorists or illegal Mexicans are sneaking across into northwestern Maine (maybe following the winter blueberry crop?).

I guess this is the winter version of the summer question that arises more and more about issues for traveling and hiking to and along the border.

Thanks

On the DeLorme there is a gate on the road, east of the col between NKD and Whitecap. In former days, people 'whacked from there. Is that how you did it last year?
Last winter, we drove down Tim Pond Rd to the junction of Canada Rd (at the bottom of Little Kennebago Lake). Since there were 2 major snow storms within the last 10 days which resulted in about 4+ feet of powder, there was some serious trail breaking (good thing there were 8 of us!). :D We went for the backpacking option and pulled our sleds full of gear 3 miles to the Wiggle Brook intersection crossing the Kennebago River (which was quite frozen and very easy to cross). From there we went about another 2 miles up Bear Brook Rd and set up camp.

The next day we hiked up Bear Brook Rd to the col (about another 3 miles of DEEP snow) and bushwhacked to both WC and NKD.

Overall it was about 20 miles RT, and could be day hiked in good conditions (which is not what we had!) :eek:

Any info on the road to East Kennebago?
I have done this peak twice in winter, and once the road was completely unplowed, and the other time we could drive down for about a mile (which was sketchy). I would plan on not being able to drive down it...

Does Cyclone Road become Canada Road somewhere between Crystal Cavern Rd and the Wiggle Brook bridge?
In my 2003 DeLorme Canada Rd turns into Cyclone Rd just after Rock Pond (me thinks). And yes, you are correct about Cyclone Rd starting from Coburn Gore. I also think that some of the names of these roads are incorrect, and change over time.

Do the border patrol guys notice or care about cars or trucks that take off down that road?
As far as customs goes, I think they realize that there are far easier ways to smuggle stuff over the border than to bushwhack in winter for 10 miles over a mountainous ridge, which is why they focus on the road border crossings… Also, when you call Maurice to ask for permission, be prepared to answer many questions (exact date, how many people, how many vehicles, what exactly are you hiking, how long you expect to be there, etc). They sound a lot like custom agents :D

Any current map(s) that can be linked to?

If someone was able to do that it would be great! Maybe that would help clear up the names :confused:

This is of great interest and I personnally thank all of you for contributing!

Hoping to complete NEHH winter list...some day. Have all but E Ken of the 6 pack, all in Baxter and the Bigelows. I'm not in any rush and have been thinking of exploring these areas in none winter to get familiar with everything.

Sounds like a great way of checking it out(if you had the time, etc) would be by snowmobile :p

Just to clarify, the naming problem is not that the maps are out of date necessarily but the problem is more that most roads in that country have multiple names, depending on 1) who you are talking to and 2) which way you are headed.

DeLorme's are redone about every 3 years and it pays to get an updated one as many things change between editions. Sitting next to my desk here I have 2006, 2003, 2001, 1998 editions and I just thew away a 1976 edition a few months ago. For instance in the 2003 edition, one main route up through that country used to be the cupsuptic road but then things changed and now the lost brook side of cupsuptic is the primary route.

To answer an earlier question, the northern end of the Canada Rd. hits Rt. 27 just shy (east) of the border gate proper. It's sort of around a small corner so that they don't really pay much attention (and may not even see) cars turning down the Canada Rd. Besides, they aren't charged with keeping US drivers off US private land.

One on winter trip some of us hit Boundary Peak from the northeast, starting on the Canada Road north of Big Island Pond and crossing what I think was Grants Pond. We found a huge antler shed half frozen in the ice. We were a tad worried there was a moose attached to the other end!

Another time we camped on the Canada Road just south of Long Pond and did WC and NKD going over the northwest-southeast arm of WhiteCap and hitting the top of the Bear Brook Rd. just below the WC/NKD col. That was a doozy, but a fun way to bag the peaks, nevertheless...

I seem to remember the first time anyone [on VFTT] really talked about the Bear Brook approach was at Gathering 6.0 when several of us went from the then common approach starting at Porter Brook while Stan and Eric were at the Kennebago crossing and said, "hmm, where's this road go?" and ended up on NKD and WC. I'm sure other peakbaggers had done it before but that event and subsequent advertising seemed to "open" it up.

Were any of you using the Bear Brook route way before then?

Spencer

spencer said:
I seem to remember the first time anyone [on VFTT] really talked about the Bear Brook approach was at Gathering 6.0 when several of us went from the then common approach starting at Porter Brook while Stan and Eric were at the Kennebago crossing and said, "hmm, where's this road go?" and ended up on NKD and WC. I'm sure other peakbaggers had done it before but that event and subsequent advertising seemed to "open" it up.

Were any of you using the Bear Brook route way before then?

Spencer
Not before, but just after. I first did it with Audrey and Pat (and Marge and Cantdog) in July of 2004 and we went up Bear Brook Rd which Audrey called "Stan and Eric's route". That was the first time Audrey had done it that way. At that time the Wiggle Brook bridge was still intact but scary looking. I guess they took it out the next year.