Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Garmin 60CSx - disappointed

Quote Originally Posted by darren
    ...Looks like I am getting a PN-20 unless someone talks me out of it...
    Since reception shouldn't be much of an issue if you're sea kayaking and don't bushwhack, and the maps suit your purposes better, it sounds like a better choice.

For us hard-core backcountry hiker types though, unless I was a solid Mac user, I can't see a Magellen in my future.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rooney
    Since reception shouldn't be much of an issue if you're sea kayaking and don't bushwhack, and the maps suit your purposes better, it sounds like a better choice.

For us hard-core backcountry hiker types though, unless I was a solid Mac user, I can't see a Magellen in my future.
    I wasn't aware that you had to bushwack to be considered "hard-core". Most hard-core hiking to me occurs above treeline. But then that is a matter of personal preference. I did enough crashing around through trees when I was kid - mostly because there were no trails in my area and I was forced to make my own. Now, as an adult, when hiking in the vacinity of trees I tend to hike where there is a trail.

Not sure what a Mac has to do with a Magellan, but I do not see one of those in my future either. They do not even sell topo maps anymore.

- darren
    Kūlia i ka nuu

I should have pointed out before that the Magellen Triton GPS do not support macs. So even though National Geo Topo runs on macs, you don't use that to upload maps to the Triton, you need to run the PC software for the map upload. Plus if you have the Topo maps for the mac, you would have to convert them or buy them again to run them for the PC.

If you are buying this for kayaking, have you looked at the marine GPSs? Are you going to mount this? If you are navigating in high seas, you may not be able to dig out a handheld. I can read my geko strapped to my pack in my canoe, but that is just displaying a large arrow pointing to a way point. I can't see being able to read much on a map mounted several feet in front of me on a small handheld display regardless of the quality of the source map.

Does the PN20 have a compass? I don't see that. If you plan to stop and dig out the GPS to look at it, then keep in mind that the GPS will stay oriented to your previous direction of travel and will not correct itself if you rotate. So if wind or waves turn your boat, the GPS will not "look right" and can appear to be signficantly off. Even though I know this (and my geko has a compass, which when on will correct for this), I have at times caught myself getting confused at times.

There is something not quite right with the Magellan. Some of you will most likely know the specifics. EMS staff told me that the problem is projected to be rectified soon. REI is not selling these until whatever is wrong is made right because there were so many coming back to the store.
    I think it was something more serious than not being MAC compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by darren
    Not sure what a Mac has to do with a Magellan, but I do not see one of those in my future either. They do not even sell topo maps anymore.
    One of my friends is an inveterate Mac user, and would like to purchase a good GPS, but it has to run on his Mac. Garmin has promised Mac compatibility for a long time, but from what I understand it's still in beta. He tells me Magellan has supported Macs for a long time.

As for above treeline hiking - personally, I find it much easier to navigate there, assuming visibility is not a factor.

Edit - Maddy: As I recall, Magellen is having production problems with their new Colorado series. And, their packaging QC is suspect - people report missing cables, manuals, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelb
    Does the PN20 have a compass? I don't see that. If you plan to stop and dig out the GPS to look at it, then keep in mind that the GPS will stay oriented to your previous direction of travel and will not correct itself if you rotate. So if wind or waves turn your boat, the GPS will not "look right" and can appear to be signficantly off. Even though I know this (and my geko has a compass, which when on will correct for this), I have at times caught myself getting confused at times.
    Does the GPS have a "North up" display mode? If so, it is not subject to these problems.

FWIW, I always use north up on both my GPS and paper maps.

Doug

[l]
    Edit - Maddy: As I recall, Magellen is having production problems with their new Colorado series. And, their packaging QC is suspect - people report missing cables, manuals, etc.[/I]
    Are you perhaps confusing Garmin's new Colorado series with a Magellan product?

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul

Doug
    Good catch, Doug. Yes - Magellan's new product is not the Colorado (that's Garmin) - rather, it's the Triton. Thanks.

Doug
    I don't think so. It came to my attention when I heard an EMS salesperson extolling the wonders of the Magellan for hiking. I subsequently asked this individual about it and mentioned to him that the hikers on the boards really liked the Garmin 60 CSx. I then called REI and they told me they had taken the Magellan off the shelves until the problem is resolved.
    If I am in the EMS area this weekend, I will try to get more specific info.

Blairsville GA ......... Avatar-- On top of Starr King Mt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugan
    (I haven't looked at Magellan mostly because there's little or no talk of it among the hiking boards. Perhaps it is time to take a look.)

If you are looking for info on the Magellan Triton this is the website you want. http://www.tritonforum.com/index.html The Triton at this point has quite a few bugs but a lot of potential. If the firmware updates continue to come in it should end up being a good GPS. I have a Triton 400.
    I used to look at my dog and think 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what your were thinking', and he'd look at me like he was saying 'If you were a little smarter I wouldn't have to'. Fred Jungclaus

Some of our greatest historical and artistic treasures we place with curators in museums; others we take for walks. Roger Caras

100/100 NEHH with Duffy
    48/48 NH 4000 Winter Ed with Duffy and Lauky
    48 X 4 including 1 winter Lauky
    48 X 6 Ed
    12 X 12 Belknaps with Lauky

Avatar: Castle Peak, CA; Home: Bay Area, California
    Thanks, Doug - I wonder as well. The Colorado I tested doesn't do this. I called Garmin about it and sent them a tracklog, and they seemed to think it wasn't outside the norm. However, a friend's 60csx doesn't exhibit the same extent of wandering when stopped.

A side effect of this is that I often can't stop to get a compass reading with the built-in magnetic compass; it keeps shutting off, thinking I'm moving above the threshold I've set. What they really should do is turn off the compass if you're moving at that speed for some number of seconds...

Great thread, everyone, by the way.

I've never seen this. I wonder if you have a problem with your GPS.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Maddy
    I don't think so. It came to my attention when I heard an EMS salesperson extolling the wonders of the Magellan for hiking. I subsequently asked this individual about it and mentioned to him that the hikers on the boards really liked the Garmin 60 CSx. I then called REI and they told me they had taken the Magellan off the shelves until the problem is resolved.
    If I am in the EMS area this weekend, I will try to get more specific info.
    I have read some reports that there are some problems with the Garmin Colorado line. There have been early problems with other Garmin products which have been fixed with software updates. The same will likely happen with the Colorados.

Magellan may have its own problems with the Tritons, but I haven't been following them.

So the correct answer might be that they both have problems...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by nazdarovye
    Thanks, Doug - I wonder as well. The Colorado I tested doesn't do this. I called Garmin about it and sent them a tracklog, and they seemed to think it wasn't outside the norm. However, a friend's 60csx doesn't exhibit the same extent of wandering when stopped.

A side effect of this is that I often can't stop to get a compass reading with the built-in magnetic compass; it keeps shutting off, thinking I'm moving above the threshold I've set. What they really should do is turn off the compass if you're moving at that speed for some number of seconds...

Great thread, everyone, by the way.
    You also didn't say anything about the environment--if you were at the bottom of an urban canyon you wouldn't expect good performance due to poor skyview and heavy multipath. If your problem occurs in the middle of a nice open field, then it is indeed a real problem.

Check to see that you have the latest software (for both the GPS chip (GPSChipsetTypeG_290.exe) and the unit (GPSMAP60CSx_350.exe). If not, try upgrading.

You could also try a hard reset (enter+page+turn_on)--this has cured a number of funny behaviors. Warning--it will erase your settings and may erase your waypoints, routes and tracks. Also, it might be a good idea to remove the memory card before resetting.

I personally set the threshold speed for using the magnetic compass at 0mph so it will never turn on automatically. (If I want it, I turn it on manually. FWIW, I rarely use it in preference for my mechanical magnetic compass.) Automatic switching between the magnetic compass and the GPS-derived compass only makes sense if you hold the compass flat with the antenna oriented in the direction of movement and have calibrated the compass. As I use a north-up display, I don't have to worry about spinning displays... (None of this should affect the position found by the GPS.)

BTW, the thresholds for automatic activation of the compass do include both speed and a duration. Both user-setable. (Check the menus...)

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 04-11-2008 at 09:42 PM.

Portland Avatar: Eating my supersized 99 cent snow cone from the 14/411 store.
    Hey Darren.

I think it would cool to have the NOAA charts on a GPS.

I saw this site that has the NOAA charts on a Google map. Of course a GPS screen will be much smaller. But you get the idea of what it would be like.
    "People who use quotes for a signature are suckers." - Adrian Payeur

Avatar: Castle Peak, CA; Home: Bay Area, California
    BTW, the thresholds for automatic activation of the compass do include both speed and a duration. Both user-setable. (Check the menus...)
    Hi Doug -

Yes; I wasn't being entirely clear about what I was suggesting. Those settings tell the compass to turn on if you're below x speed for y amount of time. So, with the problem my unit has, the instant it jumps to a spot that makes it think it's going 18 or 20 or some other large mph, it turns off the compass. So, I'll be standing still, trying to take a reading, and boom, the compass shuts down. And, if I set the speed value to something high, it means that the compass is essentially on all the time.

That's why I'd rather see the settings done differently (or an option added) so that the compass is turned off only if moving above x speed for y seconds. Then it could jump around all it liked, and it wouldn't likely exceed those thresholds.

The jumping occurs everywhere, though of course is worse when under tree cover or other limited-view settings.

(Thanks for the reset procedure - I'll try that and see if it does anything. The unit is definitely up to date: 3.0 for the GPS firmware (not 2.9) and 3.5 for the software. And I'll try the 0 mph setting and see if I'm happy just turning it on and off manually - sounds like a reasonable solution as long as the unit doesn't shut down the compass when I turn it on because it thinks it's moving > 0mph, which seems like it would happen every time!)
    Last edited by nazdarovye; 04-12-2008 at 12:56 PM.