spring '08 wildflower pics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Berard

Reaction score
N. Thetford, VT Avatar: Cabot, winter 2011
spring '08 wildflower pics- post 'em here!

I went out hiking a couple days ago, and saw my first wildflower of the season near the trailhead.
coltsfoot
2830011400099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

I figured this could be a thread for people to post pics as things begin to bloom this spring.....

Last edited:
Colt's Foot

Was surprised to come across this Colt's Foot today as far north as Oqossoc, (Rangeley) Maine. Especially considering there's still 2-3 feet of snow covering everything! Even more surprised to see it here on VFTT when I got home. Great shot, Jason!

coltsfoot.jpg

KDT

That "spring beauty" looks like Hepatica. The flowers on mine were consumed by a (rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk, other) last night.

It does look like hepatica, but the leaves nailed it for me ( which you can't see in the photo very well). They're pointy narrow leaves, two of them per flower stem. I had to do some digging through my wildflower book, I thought they were an anemone of some kind at first, or wood sorrel, but they all have the wrong leaves.

Last edited:
Karst said:
That "spring beauty" looks like Hepatica. The flowers on mine were consumed by a (rabbit, squirrel, chipmunk, other) last night.

The stamens are different in hepatica. This shot of it is from last year, but it is in bloom in seacoast nh now...found some yesterday, as well as marsh marigolds and trout lillies...

1193817647_bce90db949.jpg

Nice!

My guess for the violet, (and it's only a guess as there are several types of yellow violet), would be the Smooth Yellow Violet judging by what I can see of the stem and leaves.

#2) I think Spring Beauty is correct.

Remember, I'm not tryin' to sell myself as some sort of expert. I've just looked at a lot of flowers and have tried to identify them as best I could.

KDT

George Burrows Brookside Wildlife Sanctuary 4/27/08

Took a stroll in this small sanctuary in South Hampton this morning. There is a marsh with a small Heronry as well as many fine examples of wildflowers, including:

amarshmarigold42708.jpg

Marsh Marigold, Caltha palustris

aredtrillium42708.jpg

Wake Robin, (Stinking Benjamin), Trillium erectum

KDT

Flowers

I think it is Hepatica, but don't quote me. The next post I believe is Trailing Arbutus, commonly known as Mayflower. Nice shot!

KDT

Last edited:
Kevin said:
I think it is Hepatica, but don't quote me. The next post I believe is Trailing Arbutus, commonly known as Mayflower. Nice shot!

KDT

That is Hepatica for sure. The deeply lobed leaves are the give away...

I went for a hike in pawtuckaway and another along the lamprey river today. Lots of Marsh Marigolds, spring beauty, and wild oats. I found a few trillium as well...

Here's the best shots of the day...

Spring Beauty...
2455503648_2bec5e9e3f.jpg

Wake Robin Trillium...
2455525872_55a2564f14.jpg

And not a flower...but this guy was neat...
Gray Tree Frog...
2454697747_32b2460ee1.jpg