spring '08 wildflower pics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More from hikes in Southern NH, but quite a cool morning this morning...

Marsh Marigold in full bloom, also found bluets and wood anemone in full bloom last night...

2459286256_3b1fc06e3e.jpg

Tim Seaver said:

[URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_ginger][I]Asarum canadense[/I][/URL][/QUOTE]

Wow Tim,

That is a great find, and a great shot of it. Fantastic!

Tiny white flowers...

Took a walk in the Kingston Town Forest today. Saw these...
Hobblebush Viburnum lantanoides

hobblebush.jpg

Red Stem Violet Viola blanda

redstemviolet.jpg

Goldthread Coptis trifolia

goldthread.jpg

Dwarf Ginseng Panax trifolius

dwarfginseng.jpg

KDT

Last edited:
Arghman,

Great shots, and I concur with Kevin, I haven't seen any of those yet this year...

I'm suprised the columbine is so early...
Were you in Goffstown when you shot these???

I got out Tuesday for a walk in Pawtuckaway, saw all the usual suspects, and found Wood Anemone for the first time this year...

2469498388_8907896ff5_o.jpg

As a cautionary note, the black flies are now TERRIBLE!!!! in southern NH...

More...

Beautiful shot of the anemone, Jim! A true eye looks at things from all different angles. Almost every shot of a flower you see is a front angle, but this shows there is much beauty to be seen if one looks a little closer. :)

On Tuesday I hiked in the Sargent Wildlife Management Area in Newton and East Kingston, NH. I took these unimaginative, front angle shots of the following... :D

Wood Anemone Anemone qinqueuefolia

woodanemone.jpg

Bluets Houstonia caerulea

bluets.jpg

Wooly Blue Violet Viola sororia (I think)

woolyblueviolets.jpg

Painted Turtle Chrysemys picta (not a flower) :)

paintedturtle.jpg

KDT

Shots

I believe it is Canada Mayflower, also known as False Lily of the Valley.
Sessile-leaved Bellwort and a garter snake I believe to be correct. Nice shots!

Jason , I don't believe I've ever seen Fringed Polygala before. Nice shot!

KDT

Last edited:
thanks Kevin.The garter snake was so calm, I hung out with it for about 10 minutes!
I'm a beginner on wildflower ID, so I'm glad I'm in the right ballpark with these.

The first picture.....I'm not sure about Canada Mayflower.....I saw a bunch of those today that were just about ready to flower. It's impossible to tell with my picture, but the leaves are coming directly from the ground, not off a stem, and they are bigger than Canada Mayflower. To me, they looked more like Lady Slipper leaves.....but I don't think that's what they were, given what I can see of the budding flower in the middle of the leaves........of course, like I said, I'm a newbie. :eek:
could it be Clintonia?

Last edited:
Clintonia

I think you guys are right, most likely Clintonia. I have a tough time with ID before there's an actual flower. I think you're right on.

KDT

On a hike in the Catskills this past weekend, we came across meadows of trout lilies. This cluster was along a herd path heading towards Little Pisgah Mt.

Last edited: