spring '08 wildflower pics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More...

Very nice stuff, Jason!

Until this spring I had thought that Starflowers were some of the first to appear in the woods. I have found that they are a few weeks behind what we have already posted. I returned to Sargent Wildlife Management Area this Sunday and found that most of them have not blossomed yet, though I found this one open.

starflower.jpg

I also had the privilege of meeting this little guy up close and personal. Luckily, Emma didn't notice him. :D

porky.jpg

KDT

Nothing new to post, still getting wake robin, wild oats, violets, wood anemone, dwarf ginseng and a few hobblebush down in the seacoast. Marsh marigolds and spring beauty are winding down. Waiting to find my first columbine, painted trillium and star flowers, though I see others have posted...

On the not so wild side, the crab apple and lilac are about to explode.

Three shots I like of recent are of the wood anemone and violets...
2489323932_2237359baa.jpg

and...
2487510727_b96fe043d8.jpg

/

2479600620_d72b500828.jpg

The following are from May 9th, near Steam Mill Brook at low elevation...

wake robin trillium

steammillbrook-17.jpg

painted trillium

steammillbrook-2.jpg

bellwort/wild oats

steammillbrook-1.jpg

hobblebush

steammillbrook-3.jpg

trout lily

steammillbrook-5.jpg

All of these species were about 1% flowered, and I'm guessing by this weekend would be perfect timing for these in this area. Champney Falls Trail is excellent for trilliums as well.

Kevin, is that a baby pocupine? Precious image!!!

happy trails

was out on....you guessed it....Moose Mtn. yesterday, and saw this guy while I was attempting to follow the AT boundary line.

leopard frog or pickerel frog?
2724693700099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

more spring beauty
2450609680099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

I also saw this gelatinous mass, along with 3 others, in a water filled tire rut in a logging road.....salamander eggs?
2001777690099656796S600x600Q85.jpg

RickB: Was that Dutchman Breeches shot in Pawtuckaway as well, I can never locate this wildflower...

Jason: Nice catch on the squirrel corn, the flower is interesting and you captured it very well.

I trudged through the Brentwood Migration Area today. If you live in the seacoast, this is a neat area. Manmade habitats designed to attract migrating birds, and they certainly do their job. I've never heard so many songbirds, and I spotted a few that I rarely see...

As for wildflowers...I got some interesting ones today. First off, I found LUPINE whose small cones were starting to turn purple...amazing considering it's three weeks plus until they start to look like this in Sugar Hill...

Others were this red stemmed violet...
2498267802_c9189877a2.jpg

And I'm most proud of this five petaled bluet!!!
2497438861_536a44bc3e_o.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent

More excellent stuff on this page. Interesting to see the paintbrushes from MO, Jason. Also great frogs, snakes and efts. Also great shots of the Dutchman's Breeches and Squirrel Corn along with more great stuff from Jim. This is a great thread! Gonna play with my new D-80 today, I'll see what I can find!

KDT

w7xman, Dutchman's Breeches were on the Cherry Mountain Trail, about a mile up. They are also common on the Starr King Trail and, the best I've seen, on the lower Underhill Trail.

Kevin, Judy and Emma, I use a D-80 a lot. Go to Ken Rockwell's site and read about his exposure comp. and preferred custom color/saturation settings. Easy and makes a huge difference shooting wildflowers.

This is a great thread. Keep shooting!

Just got back from a hike around Pawtuckaway with Kevin of Kevin, Judy and Emma fame. I'm sure Kevin will post a complete report tomorrow, but we had a great time, found lots of flowers we hadn't shot yet this year, and did a bushwack to a seldom seen view...

As for the flowers...
Early Saxifrage...
2499976131_35f7f611b6.jpg

Pale Corydalis...
2500801652_9058d8af10.jpg

Lady Slipper (FOY)
2499971453_f5bbc004a8.jpg

Columbine...
2500801606_3e43bb7de8.jpg

And my artsy shot of the day...
2500806222_db0790760c.jpg

In addition we found the usual violets, hobble bush nearing the end of its run, a red trillium past prime, and blueberry in full bloom. A great day for wildflowers!

Shootin' with the master...

Not sure I should even post these after seein' Jim's. :) Well, as he said, we were out shootin' in Pawtuckaway. I was shootin with a new camera. Gotta work on my depth of field.

Early Saxifrage Saxifraga virginiensis

sax.jpg

Pink Lady's Slipper Cypripedium acaule

ls1.jpg

Pale Corydalis Corydalis sempervirens

pale.jpg

KDT

Great shots at Pawtuckaway! You've inspired one to roam the Ossipees this week and feed the ticks.
Depth of field is the major issue with this subject matter, at least in macro or close-up. I get only a couple of mm's in focus at 1:1 with my macro lens at f32 (I know, we're flirting with getting bounced to the Photography Forum!).

Excellent thread! Keep posting. As Jim S. said, this can be a great reference for next year. We are noting what is blooming where and when.

May 21st, I hiked the Rocky Branch Trail from Rt. 16 to the height of land. Red trilliums, spring beauties, trout lillies, bellwort are abundent and fully bloomed. There are many patches of huge indian poke, and the hobblebush is close to full bloom.

rockybt-6.jpg

happy trails :)