Best approach to Scar Ridge East

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabberwalk

Reaction score
I have searched (the best I can) through this site and learned that the crazy ones try to traverse from Loon over West, and all the other humps in the ridge to East. Then there are the hale and hearty wacky winter hikers who head up the ridge from the Kanc near Big Rock. I took a look at this peak a few weeks ago from the height of land on the East Pond Trail, which looks like the easiest wack to me. But, I chickened out, because I saw NO human evidence of a herd path - not one trampled fern - no deer or moose had left their mark. So, I patiently walked over to Little East Pond to the NW corner where I had once managed to b/w to the West Peak. After about 30 minutes the spruce seemed to grow arms and became octopi, grabbed my legs and hat, and tossed me out! Strike two!

So, has anyone tackled the peak from the East Pond Trail lately, or should I try it from the Kanc?

We did it from the East Pond side 4 years ago and would not recommend it. It was extremely thick with numerous blowdowns. Looking back at our trip report it appears to have taken us 2 hours to travel 1/2 mile at one point.

http://rbhayes.net/scarridge.html

Sine then we have done the approach from the Kanc and found it much easier.

Thanks for the guidance and especially for the map and trip report. That's a big huge help. I think I will need my Ovaltine for this one!

A few years ago I whacked west from the height-of-land on the East Pond Tr and didn't find the going too bad. There was some cliffy scrambling on the East Bump and some blowdown over to the East Pk summit. It's all fun.

I saw in Yogi's report of July, 07 that there are two bumps on the east side of the ridge, and two cannisters. Thanks for the picture of the correct 'jar'. If I come across a nalgene - there will be some bad word spoken aloud! But, it sure helps getting a clue as to where NOT to go. . . .

Bob, I saw your TR and map to the West Peak, NE100, and noticed that I did the same route to the top exactly 2 years ago today, on October 4, 06. From what I can tell that route is very overgrown today - I am sure there are some wackers who would just call it fun, but I still bleed!

Last edited:
We did East and Middle some years ago from the height of land on the East Pond Trail. It wasn't bad - the descent from the ridge to Little East Pond was the nasty part. As with most whacks, you can try following the 50-foot-rule left or right and may get lucky.

I recall doing "Scar Ridge East" about 2 years ago in late fall. After the height of land on the East Pond trail, it was about as thick as I've ever seen it for a good ways up. There was a group of 5 of us, and it was quite amusing being all dispersed through a thick, sprucy section. You would hear curses coming from various directions, and once in a while you would have to ask someone to shake a nearby tree so we knew where they were in relation to the rest of us. After regrouping a bit closer to the false summit bump, it got a little better, but not much.

If and when I do this traverse again, I will most likely start where Marc indicated and try to contour to the north and stay below the worst of it. After the true summit of East Scar, it wasn't as bad - still pretty darn thick but we made much faster progress and even found a few animal herd paths.

I’ve been up there twice and only managed to get to the southeast summit. The first time, I didn’t realize my mistake until I was home. The second time, I tried to follow the compass magnetic north from the false summit to the true summit, but gave up after spending several minutes trapped in a box canyon of blowdown and spruce.

I was hoping to try again this year, now that I have a GPs receiver, but didn’t get the chance — it was too wet during my vacation last week. I preferred to get soaked bushwhacking to a different summit.

Marc, your map is most helpful. How many years ago did you do that peak? I have found that herd paths and b/w avenues seem to ebb and flow, and close up completely in a short time.

Thanks to all for the good advice.

Betsy