Snappers and Swimming Holes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrOysterhead

Reaction score
Does anyone know if snapping turtles reside in Chapel Pond, I've heard several rumors that they do and I'm heading up there next week and want to swim. Also - what are the best places to swim on the Ausable in that area?

peace
Oysterhead

I would go to Boquet River not the Ausable to swim. Try Split Rock Falls near malfunction Junction. On the right as your going toward Elizabethtown.

Correction - I always get the Ausable and the Boquet confused. I mean Boquet. It's been a long week.

peace
Oysterhead

Though I don't know the answer I have never heard of a person being bitten by a turtle and am curious about it.

spider solo said:
Though I don't know the answer I have never heard of a person being bitten by a turtle and am curious about it.

Do not go skinny-dipping in water infested with snappers. Had I known that in the past, I wouldn't be suckered in by all of those 'male enhancement' ads.

Also, watch split-rock falls in times of high water.

Last edited:
Another nice swimming hole: Shoe Box Falls

Shoe Box Falls is on the N. Branch of the Boquet, off 73, about a mile or so up the trail. Check a map for where the N. Branch crosses 73. This is a couple of miles or so from the junction of Rte 9 & 73. There is a parking lot or you can park on the shoulder. The trail starts off on the left side of the stream as you head upstream. At one point, say a half mile down, you can either go up a steep bank or cross over and pick up a trail on the other side of the stream. Pick option #2, cross and stay right.

You will eventually reach a nice rocky area with a small waterfall dropping into an interesting pool, about 40 feet long, 15 feet wide, and who knows how deep, formed by a BIG crack in the granite. The water is pleasant, you can dive in. There is a little flume you can slide down. There is a stone arch you can swim under. Kids are thrilled by it. There are great rocks for picnicing.

My family (a pretty lazy lot I hasten to add) gave this an A+.

The hike in is suitable for just about any age, some mud and rock hopping will probably be encountered en route.

-David

I'm not sure if this is the same place as whitelief is talking about, but if your heading south on 73 after you pass Chapel Pond (but before 9) on the left side of the road you'll see a stream. Park on the side of the road and go down the bank. The pool is about 15-20 foot deep.

If you do end up going to Shoe Box, please keep your impact on the area to a minimum. I have picked up a lot of garbage at and near the falls and parking area over the past couple of years and have seen groups of 30 or more at the falls.

I doubt this was anyone from this board.

To the best of my knowledge, snappers won't bite in the water because that's their element. When on land, they feel threatened and will bite at anything that comes close. That said, I'll still second Pete's recommendation not to skinny dip :eek: