40 MPH Speed Limit Today 1/28 on All NH Roads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this year the first year they've done this? I never even heard about the previous day they referenced.

The state has posted a driving advisory because of the snow, dropping speed limits, even on the interstates, to 40 mph today.
Never heard of this before, and not sure an "advisory" is ticketable particularly on a road without the message signs.

Of course you can always be charged with "driving too fast for conditions", and unless the driving improves I won't be going much over 40 today :-(

Is this year the first year they've done this? I never even heard about the previous day they referenced.

This is the first I've heard of it too. Maine has dropped speed for years on the ME Turnpike (I-95). There was a large trailer parked north of Franconia on I-93 with the 40 MPH warning blinking on it at noon today. I suspect it's a liability as well as public safety issue. What isn't, these days?

May have something to do with this?--
http://theunionleader.com/article.a...rticleId=fb39fa6c-7cbc-4016-9176-0e76a6cb9a87

Last edited:
I bet your right, Waumbek...

There (unfortunately) isn't much question in my mind that different district crews have very different levels of ability to keep roads clear. There are portions of 93 from Exit 28 south where you can pretty much count on the road being scraped and well maintained, almost regardless of how hard the snow is falling -- and there are sections where you're almost guaranteed it will be treacherous, even in moderate snow events. As you drive along and pass from zone to zone (you know when you pass into a new district, because the plows turn around at the crossovers), you can't help but wonder why the variations are so noticeable.

I guess slapping a 40mph speed limit across the board at least reduces the probability someone will lose control or slide into another vehicle.