Backpacking in Carter Notch.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

averagejoe

Reaction score
Hi All,

This March, either the 13th-17th or the 20th-24th, I am planning a four day three night trip around the Wild River Wilderness. I want to start from Pinkham, go over the Wildcats to Carter Dome, and traval anti-clockwise on the Rainbow Tr, Wild River Tr, Shelburne Tr, Kenduskead Tr, Carter-Moriah Tr, and back to Pinkham.

Has anyone done this, or been on all these trails in the winter. I have heard the Wild River has some schetchy crossings.

There are a number of shelters/campsites listed along this route, though I would prefer to camp in my tent. Anyone have any info on good backcounty campsites.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Joseph.

In all my winter trips on the Carters, I have never seen evidence for any of the trails into Wild River basin being broken out. So, I think that your planned trip will be challenging, to say the least, given the heavy snowpack this winter. However, there are plenty of folks on this board who have spent more time in this range during the winter than I, so they might have a better perspective.

Well I was considering my skis and a sled:D

Seriously though, I will be joined by my brother. I have no desire to do this solo, and due to my "limited" experience I don't think it's a good idea.

I've done a number of winter trips (expeditions) into the WR valley and have one coming up. Check your private messages.
-vegematic

I can give a little data, but not for the winter. I will say that I wouldn't expect much traffic in that area.

We did a trip by going in the Wild River area and the Rainbow Trail (I think), camping on a flat knob about 20 minutes east of the summit of Carter Dome, following the ridge until we got near Moriah, then headed west back into the valley. We camped along the trail along Wild River.

There was one tough crossing (this was in October) around a shelter (again, can't think of the name), but there where a few places to camp down low. This ended up being a 30 mile loop over three days. Day #2 was a 17 mile slog that we had to go that far due to getting a good camping spot.

Once I get my maps and book back in front of me I can clean up the details a bit. More details to follow...eventually