Disappearing food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
Did anyone ever have food disappear? I'm not talking about some animal getting it either. I'm talking about hanging your food, then later retreiving it and finding something missing, No holes in the bag, and no crumbs.

I've heard about this happening, but I find it hard to beleive.

Nadine said:
Why, just last week I caught my friend sleepwalking at the lean to site, he ate 6 bagels and half a jar of valencia organic peanut butter

Are you sure? Did he have peanut butter on his breath? 6 begals are a lot to eat when sleepwalking. Not only that, but the strawberry one wouldn't have gone good with the peanut butter. Be careful about acusing someone.

No, I think what we are talking about is the food actually being STOLEN (I hate using that word). A bear bag is hung, and something disappears from it.

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:

Are you sure? Did he have peanut butter on his breath?

No, just beer breath!!

No, I think what we are talking about is the food actually being STOLEN (I hate using that word). A bear bag is hung, and something disappears from it.

Yeah, they were flat out stolen from the hanging bear bag. This makes me sad. I've always felt there's an unspoken code of honesty between hikers; respect each others property. It's really depressing to think that someone would steal food from somebody else, especially on a backpacking trip where your food is carefully calculated per person per day.

If someone was having an emergency, like being lost and starving, or maybe a hypoglycemic emergency, than that's a different story. By all means, take my food if it's going to save you. Leave a note if possible.

But we weren't around any lost, starving, or hypoglycemic people
:( Heck, we pretty much had the place to ourselves.

I guess I feel violated. I hike to get away from people who act like this.... I feel like one of things I enjoy most in this world has been infiltrated by bad people :mad: :mad: I hate feeling like that.

What's the world coming to?

I would go back to the same place, and make a couple of candy bars with Ex-Lax in them. If they get eaten again, at least you can find the perpetrator in the next Rivy. Ha ha.
Sucks to have your food taken :( What's next? Gear?

Pete, I used to have a ziptiop food bag - It was a Camptrails strap-on pouch for my daypack. It was very sturdy and I used it as a food bag for about a decade.
One winter night in 95 (or 96) I was at Flowed lands and heard some crunching. I shined my headlamp up at my food bag to see a pine marten sitting on the rope with a white package of poptarts (the cheaper no name toaster pastries) he had procured from an unzippered corner of the bag. He took off with the poptarts in his mouth. No marks, no rips & no crumbs.
(I believe it was the same PM that also swiped my soup crackers the next day on that trip)

Last edited:
Rick said:
Flowed lands and heard some crunching. .....a pine marten sitting on the rope

Must be a friend of the Feldspar Brook pine martin. I know that guy well.

I wish it had been a pine marten. These bagels and peanut butter were well in the sack, which was closed.

Here... look:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/food.jpg

The bagels and peanut butter were gone, but the pumpkin pie, rhubarb cobler, green chili enchaladas, etc were untouched.

That food should be stolen is distressing. But that a strawberry bagel be stolen may be genetic and perhaps inevitable as strawberries grow from stolons. I think you should pack some stollen in your food pack. Then if your stollen is stolen would you really care? But if the perpetrator hates stollen as much as I do you might find your unstollen food stolen and your stollen food unstolen, and that would be all the more distressing.

Pete/Nadine: I believe that giving each other the finger is against this board's policy!:D

Pretty low getting your food stolen. I've never had that happen and it is certainly a buzzkill. I had a thought: could it have been Pamola?

Then again: Pete, did you enjoy Nadine's Bagels and Valencia Organic PB?;)

SherpaKroto said:
Pete/Nadine: I believe that giving each other the finger is against this board's policy!:D

You need a little rimshot/drum-roll when you say something like that.

Then again: Pete, did you enjoy Nadine's Bagels and Valencia Organic PB?;)

That is really good PB... Hey... I don't sleepwalk... (or snore for that matter)

I had a thought: could it have been Pamola?

You know... I'll take that as what happened. Yep. It is more beleivable than having another hiker steal food. Thanks for the explanation!

Hey Pete, pull my finger!!! :D :D

Pamola it is! I can stomach that much easier than thinikng another hiker stole our food.

btw, one of my dad's friends in Millinocket is the grand nephew of Roy Dudley. He's pretty fun to talk with, and has some interesting stories to tell about his Great Uncle, and how he could spin yarns about Pamola.

Chimney Pond Tales is a great little book to read. I bought it for my daughter on our trip to BSP a few years ago and enjoyed reading it. Leroy Dudley must have been a hoot to talk to (BTW, Bill Snow, current Roaring Brook ranger is another guy with a good sense of humor.)

Sounds like Pamola has good taste in vittles ;)

I bet that racoon would have stolen your pb too if its mouth was big enough to hold the jar :p

Chimney Pond Tales is a fun read:)
My fathers friend Freddie (85 years old) talks about how he and Roy used to haul these huge, heavy hand sleds into Chimney Pond from Millinocket Lake. The trip would take 4 days in, and one day out. Roy used to entertain quite a few wealthy outdoorsmen and scientists in his cabin at Chimney Pond.