What's the shortest and fastest way to do Doubletop, Catskills?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EarthNsky

Reaction score
I have two more peaks to finish the 'skills, Doubletop and Halcott. Both are trailess and both are in different areas of the park. I plan to basecamp at some free campsites near Phoenicia and I would like to get both peaks in one day, Saturday.

Is the shortest and fastest route for Doubletop via the YMCA camp?

Thanks for help.

ENS

The Frost Valley YMCA is private and they may or may not like you tresspassing, however, that's probably not even the fastest way anyway since the canister is on the north peak which you'd either have to go over the south peak or sidehill around. The fastest way to Doubletop is from the Seager Trailhead on Dry Brook Road in Margaretville. It's on the TC maps and you would simply hike down the dry brook trail to flatiron brook and head almost due south to the peak. The only issue is how hard the two feeder stream crossings are. Flat Iron brook and the one that is close to the trailhead. Also, the trail does cross the Dry Brook at one point. Usually it's manageable though sometimes the dry brook is impossible to cross (w/o wading) at the leanto. Fortunately, though, for Doubltetop, you'll see that you wont need to go as far as the LT...

Jay

I second Seager. It's quite easy. Granted there is a nice fir spruce patch to wander through/around at the top. Other than that it's a nice, uneventful hike.

thanks!

Any guestimates on the r/t mileage?

Do you think it is reasonable try and get that and Halcott in one day?

thanks!

Any guestimates on the r/t mileage?

Do you think it is reasonable try and get that and Halcott in one day?

Perhaps a more fitting evaluation of the size of the task is elevation gain rather than milage. For instance, I would doubt Halcott is more than 2 miles, but a 2 mile walk to the store is not the same thing. Considering elevation gain, some folks are completely tapped after 3000 ft, others can do 4000, Extreme hikers can do 10000+ feet.

So, completing both peaks really depends on you and your capabilities.
That said, for some or many it is posssible to do these two in one day.

Perhaps a more fitting evaluation of the size of the task is elevation gain rather than milage. For instance, I would doubt Halcott is more than 2 miles, but a 2 mile walk to the store is not the same thing. Considering elevation gain, some folks are completely tapped after 3000 ft, others can do 4000, Extreme hikers can do 10000+ feet.

So, completing both peaks really depends on you and your capabilities.
That said, for some or many it is posssible to do these two in one day.
ENS, if you are still in the shape I remember, this is very doable. Heck even I could do it! :D

I did Doubletop one New Year's day with snowshoes the entire trip one winter when the snow was nicely packed in like 3 hours solo. and the drive from Seager to 42/Halcott isn't too bad, straightforward at least..

Jay

thanks for the info

sound like a doable day, but a long day.

does anyone know if the campsites along Rt 28, near Phoenicia are still open and still free, and/or do you need to register anywhere?

You mean the ones by Allaben?? Not aware of campsites along Rt 28 near Phoencia. There is the Sleepy Hollow campsite on Rt 28 but that is a private campsite. Black Bear on Bridge street, again private. The free ones on Sundown off Peekamoose road are still there, no registration needed, port o potties are there.

Jay

There were some free sites on 28 a few miles west of Phoenicia, near 42 maintained by the preserve. I am not sure what they are called.

I think those are what I'm referring to as Allaben.. North side of Rt 28? Forest Preserve? By the Copperhead Spa i think??? Anyway, if it's forest preseve anyway, I don't think they are reserved or anything, first come, first serve.

Jay

that's the place... just want to make sure it's still ok to camp there. hahaha copperhead spa... are there a lot of copperheads there in the summer months?

thanks for the info everyone. This seems very doable. Hopefully all will go as planned and after nearly 5 years, I will have the Catskills 3500 done. My wife and I had a baby 13 months ago and my progress slowed dramatically on the Catskills.

If anyone wants to come out, the hike s planned for the 19th of April.

Is there any snow left in the Catskills? I did some backpacking on the Mid State Trail in central PA around US 322 and there was only snow and ice in the very shady spots.

By April 19th, I'd imagine most of the snow will be gone and we'll be down to just some icy patchs in the shady spots (and Sugarloaf's west face... :p)..

Last weekend, there is snow but not terribly deep below 3000ft and was hardpacked that you didn't need snowshoes, just crampons or traction aids.

In 4 weeks, I'd imagine even the snow may be gone in most places.

Jay

probably won't hurt to take crampons along. I haven't had mine on since I tried to climb Rainier in 2007, dang.

It's going to be great returning to the Catskills! Woot!

Thanks for all the info!

thanks for the invite Tom. I can't make it that weekend. I'll watch for your trip report though!

final question

what is the best beer to drink while camping in the Catskills? Any good "I just finished the 3500" recommended celebratory beer?