Colorado Equivalent of VFTT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PShaw

Reaction score
I'm moving to Denver for work and wondering if any of you knows of a forum similar to VFTT out there. An online search has not yielded anything close. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Paul

Second 14ers.com. There's plenty of talk of lower elevation, and they've been pretty nice to New Englanders (including myself.) The site admin is on the board of CFI (14ers.org), which is a lot like the 46ers.

Summitpost FTW! The Colorado community on SP has always been pretty active (unlike the midwesterners or easterners :(). If nothing else, they can steer you towards a Colorado-specific forum. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for the advice. I checked out the sites and they are just what I'm looking for.

co

Your in for some good peakbagging thats for sure. Im very familiar with the 14ers and 14ers.com is a great site Ive used for years. If there is any specific question you can pm me and I would be glad to fill in any gaps that websites leave for you. Heres a short list of recommended 14ers to start with progressing in difficulty. I would start with Bierstadt, then Quandry, moving on to a double of grays and Torries. Watch the class ratings if you just a hiker, I would bag a few class 2 routes before trying class three to feel them out. Lastly, if your from the east, aclimating is very important, my advice is to sleep high, as in at the trailheads, they run around 10,000ft and that really sets you up for the climb to 14,000. Good luck, oh one more thing, unlike NH, the rule of thumb on western 14ers is to summit by NOON, or you will be in the zone for lightning and thunderstorms after that and its no joke.

Good luck, oh one more thing, unlike NH, the rule of thumb on western 14ers is to summit by NOON, or you will be in the zone for lightning and thunderstorms after that and its no joke.
Do you mean Noon, or 1 PM (Sun Noon)?

Be prepared for RAPIDLY changing conditions! Last year in July, we had snow, sleet, hail, lightning, wind, beautiful, etc. all in 1 hour! :eek:

Do you mean Noon, or 1 PM (Sun Noon)?

Be prepared for RAPIDLY changing conditions! Last year in July, we had snow, sleet, hail, lightning, wind, beautiful, etc. all in 1 hour! :eek:

I thought noon was 12.00 o'clock p.m.

I thought noon was 12.00 o'clock p.m.

For something like Longs Peak, get started by 3:30 AM.

The nice part of Colorado hiking is that you can get up above treeline by sunrise and still have 3 miles to the summit. :)