Man killed in Moose collision in Pinkham Notch

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unfortunately the second one in about a week on the same stretch of road. This time of year moose are very active along the sides of the roads and can be out at all times of the day and night, unfortunately they are hard to see in the evening.

A few weeks back I encountered 4 different moose driving from Franconia Notch to Gorham, all of them were real hard to see until the last minute and all 4 would have totaled my civic.

Unfortunately the second one in about a week on the same stretch of road. This time of year moose are very active along the sides of the roads and can be out at all times of the day and night, unfortunately they are hard to see in the evening.

A few weeks back I encountered 4 different moose driving from Franconia Notch to Gorham, all of them were real hard to see until the last minute and all 4 would have totaled my civic.

where they driving SUV's? :D

but seriously, that stinks. pretty sad reading about this kind of stuff, could happen to any of us at anytime.

I have to say, when my in-laws last hit one, they were in a Corolla and it went right over the top. My father-in-law still says if he was in hit truck, they would'e been much worse off as they would've taken it right in the grill.

Damage was, relatively speaking, minimal.

Curious; I have heard that in the spring, moose are attracted to the salt washed onto the side of the road from the previous winters road treatment. Don’t know if it’s true or not.

Curious; I have heard that in the spring, moose are attracted to the salt washed onto the side of the road from the previous winters road treatment. Don’t know if it’s true or not.

I've seen them on the road over Mousilauke licking salt off the road in winter, so I think there is substance to that.

Collision with a convertible, that had to have been an terrible sight for the emergency personnel.

It has become rare not to see a moose in the Bethlehem/Twin Mountain border area on route 3 N, usually on the west side of the road in the bogs. I saw one in each of the two prime spots Sunday AM. Last time I went up there, I also saw two - one had been hit and killed.

The other spot I often see them is on the corner of 115 and 2, in Jefferson, en route to Appalachia. Dawn and dusk are the most-common times as well, so be even more careful in low light conditions.

Tim

Sorry to hear about the crashes.

Saw moose both days I was up around the holiday along 302. Both (same one?) in a swampy area a little east of the Cherry Mt. Road turn.

Also saw another one early AM crossing the Mt. Clinton Road, just a little north of the Crawford Connector.

Also read they have had Moose car collisions on Merritt Parkway in SW, CT.

Last edited:
Passed a collision today at 420 am on the Flats in Randolph on 2, eastbound 18 wheeler hit a young bull which ended up in my westbound lane. I knew something was up when I turned the right corner just before the Flats leading to Lowe's and one headlight was pointing straight up and the other was pointing straight into the pavement. Then I saw the brown mass in my lane.