Tunnel Ravine?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ask Metsky. He knows the mountain like the back of his hand.

I've bushwacked to the summit years ago via Tunnel Ravine. It was pretty difficult bushwacking but I'm not a huge fan of bushwacking to begin with so take that with a grain of salt. There's a headwall up there that is difficult to negotiate. IIRC, I went to the north and hooked up with the Benton trail before it got nasty.

I was up there today, and didn't have enough time to get all that far, but I didn't really see any trail at all, except for moose trails.

I got to about where the "arms" of the two ridges on either side close in on the ravine. The only evidence I found of any trail was a blaze on a rock at a beautiful waterfall. It was vertical stripes...two white stripes on either side of a red one....I also saw some LARGE trees that had been girdled with a chainsaw seemingly a long time ago..... Is there any semblance of a trail?
I didn't have much time to prepare for this trip....the route in was to head east at the 2nd water crossing on Tunnel Brook Trail, form the Tunnel Brook Rd. side....

SO, I guess my questions are, is there anything left of the cabin, and the trail for that matter.....

Oops, sorry, I was thinking of Tunnel Brook Ravine, to the north of the Benton Trail. I haven't done Tunnel Ravine but it was hiked regularly by members of the DOC until the early 80's then only sporadically after that. A common approach was to summit South Peak and drop down into the Ravine from there. Supposedly that's the easiest way to come across the old cabin site. In the 80's it was mostly just wreckage, I'm not sure how much remains but I'm sure it's still recognizable as a former cabin.