Sandwich Notch Road Condition ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocahontas

Reaction score
With such a rainy spring & summer season,
I was wondering if anyone
has any recent info on Sandwich Notch Rd conditions

Is it badly eroded & washed out ?
Drivable to Algonquin Trail?

Thanx in advance

This information is probably of limited value, but here it is, just in case you might find it useful.

Just on a lark, this Tuesday (11-August), a few friends and I took a short ride on Sandwich Notch Road from the Waterville Valley end. However, we only went as far as the turn off for Hall Pond. I have a 4-wheel drive vehicle with decent ground clearance and had no problems. Having 4-wheel drive probably isn’t essential. However, if your vehicle has low ground clearance, you might have to do some artful “weaving & dodging”, but just in a few spots here & there.

Please bear in mind that I did NOT go all the way to the Algonquin trailhead. Therefore, I don’t know what the conditions are beyond the turn off for Hall Pond.

Last edited:
Thanx Happy Hiker

after reading your reply we figured we'd just
drive it & see
(with a backup in mind just in case)
sounds do-able
we do have a 4WD CRV so it mite help for any tough spots

To the Whites tonite rite after work for 5days
if we make it to SN Road I'll post what we find

thanx so much again

On July 19 we drove the full length of the road. I wouldn't take a car over it, at least not my car - somebody elses car, perhaps. It's pretty rough.

A vehicle with good ground clearance should do fine. Even with my truck I was making moves to avoid rough spots.

Good luck.

Hi

I drove through the Sandwich Notch Road July 30th and except for the first rough section climbing to the height of land from the Waterville side the road was in fine shape and had recently been graded in stretches..really some of the worst sections were the paved ones Easily passable in my Tacoma..might be a little rough in a couple of spots for a passenger car in that one stretch. Area by the Algonquin trailhead fine and the Sandwich end in real good shape..enjoy

I drove through the Sandwich Notch Road July 30th and except for the first rough section climbing to the height of land from the Waterville side the road was in fine shape and had recently been graded in stretches..really some of the worst sections were the paved ones Easily passable in my Tacoma..might be a little rough in a couple of spots for a passenger car in that one stretch. Area by the Algonquin trailhead fine and the Sandwich end in real good shape..enjoy

Agree with Silverfox . . . yesterday (13-August) I drove Sandwich Notch Road from Waterville Valley to the Algonquin trailhead. The road is very rough (as indicated by BIGEarl). However, in my humble opinion, I think it’s probably doable for even a passenger car if you take it very slowly and weave around some of the deeper potholes. (Click HERE for Trip Report.)

Last edited:
As you all know by now
the Sandwich Notch Road is really not that bad
for driving if you're careful.

Like SilverFox mentioned it looked like the gravel sections had recently
been nicely graded,
the terrible potholed sections that we had to maneuver around were all on the small segments of pavement.
>>>Friday August 14th

So we drove VERY Slowly & maneuvered around the bad areas
& were fine in our Honda CRV
(I wouldn't want to drive it in a low rider)

The Algonquin Trail was also in great shape all the way to Sandwich Dome !

PS:
Also I forgot to add that we saw Peak'n ...
a VFTT'er heading down from the Dome
(So nice to meet you!)
He had on his VFTT shirt
I HAVE to remember to wear mine too!

Last edited:
A warning - there is a blowdown on the road near the powerline crossing. Someone has limbed the tree so that vehicles can squeeze through, but nonetheless be careful, as it is blocking much of the roadway!

How is sandwich notch road this year? I plan to go through it tomorrow, have a 4x4 truck.

I took it to the Algonquin TH back in June I think it was. Things can change with heavy rain events and it had just been graded but the worst sections were where the pavement is. My Subaru Forester made easy work of it.

As has been stated previously, with a little care it isn't that bad.