Folding Cup

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Satterlee

Team Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find an old drinking cup that I used years ago, it was two pieces of flat plastic that slid on rivets to make a drinking cup.

I cannot find them on line.

collapsiblecups.jpg

I think I remember what you're referring to. Check out this link. These have more than one section.

I'm interested in the design. 2 flat pieces of flat plastic sliding on rivets ? Intriques me.
Can't picture how it works. An envelope or origami would be simpler, no ?
Perhaps you could draw some simple pics and post to illustrate ?

I remember it too.

When "expanded" for use, it looked a bit like a cone (with the seam running down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side). The rivets were near the edge close to both ends of the seam. (The rivets served as pivot points when changing shape from flat to cup.)

Doug

Last edited:
My mother has one of these from her childhood back in the 1940s, when each kid had to bring their own cup to their one-room country school. Looks like the one in the far left of KR's photo.

I've seen the cheaper plastic ones at national park gift shops.

I have one from my dad's hiking equipment collection but would never take it hiking with me. I've also tried the plastic ones Chip referred to and they are "garbage."

I have a couple of stainless ones.
They were called The Bob Lane cup
Folded up flat, I use to carry one right in my White Mtn. Guide

pix3890715265.jpg

pix3890715484.jpg

pix3890715078.jpg

They were very handy to carry in your shirt pocket
When you wanted a drink, you'd just pull the two pieces apart and let them snap back together, forming a watertight seal.
Dip it in the spring, and you're good to go.

Of course if you tried that now, the hiking police would track you down and take it away :eek:

Bob Lane Cup

That's the one I remember although I don't recall that name. They used to be in the LL Beans catalog in the 60's as the "hikers cup" or something. I wish they were still around.
Bob

Thanks, those are cool pictures Dudley: that is exactly the cup I was thinking of.

I was hoping to get a few to use as a compact water dish for my puppy because they would be perfect to have in the pack or pocket.

That's the one I remember although I don't recall that name. They used to be in the LL Beans catalog in the 60's as the "hikers cup" or something. I wish they were still around.
Bob
I'm fairly sure that the ones that I have came from Bean's, Freeport.
That's probably why I have two..... late night stops :p