A visit to the Owl

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
After a wet Saturday it was nice to start Sunday with some nice weather. Jeremy offered to lead a hike to Owl's Head and I really wanted to learn the Black Pond and Brutus bushwhacks. So Jermey, Skip, Dave, and I met at Lincoln Woods for a 7:30 departure.

After the rain Saturday afternoon and evening the Pemigewasset was flowing swiftly and the fall colors were wonderful.

We made quick work of the trail out to Black Pond and began the bushwack. We undershot by a bit and hiked up the Fisherman's path to correct. It wasn't long before we reached the crossing over Lincoln Brook just before the Owl's Head Slide. The water was still flowing pretty fast and since we were unwilling to unboot, we spend sometime locating a good point to cross.

After that long walk in the woods the slide seemed never ending. We stopped on the slide for a bit and enjoyed our lunches and the great views.

When we finally reached the top we dropped our packs to visit the old summit and then the new summit, before heading down the Brutus bushwhack.

Lots of good photo ops on the way out with some patches of blue sky and the fall colors.

On the way back we hit a nice straight line on the Black Pond bushwhack, staying a littler higher than we did on the way there. At Black Pond we were rewarded with this great view.

Really a great day to visit the Owl.

Owl's Head

Nice report Ed, and it was a fine day. I think you could have devoted a whole thread on Jeremy's bridge making abilities.