Problem with Cresta Boots

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy V

Reaction score
I am having a problem with my Cresta all leather Boots that I purchased from LL Bean. The First pair I have taken back to them because the tongue kept on pulling to the left on the left boot to the point it would over lap my left ankle causing me much pain. Same for the right boot but not quite as painful. I had them for a few years and the situation got worse and worse over those years. LL Bean was a great sport about it and gave me a partial credit towards a new pair of boots. I have worn these boots two days in my business, on rugs, and the tongues are starting to move off to the right and left on their respective boots.

Does anyone out there have this same problem with CrestaGoreTex leather Hiking Boots?

Has anyone solved this problem?

TIA
Billy V

cresta boots

I have worn Cresta boots for many years now. One tongue did move slightly but not anything like you're describing. The only problem I have had was an eyelet popped and they replaced the boot for full credit. Could it be the way your foot moves? Are they straight (tongue) when you lace them up?
They are great boots, hope it works out for you.

Over 4 years and 1500 or so miles with no problems except the soles are pretty worn they are losing their grippyness (my mother and father bought me a new pair this Chrristmas...bless their souls! :D ). As with KRobi I had SLIGHT movement with the tounges, but nowheres what you describe.

Brian

(Disclaimer - I've only seen Cresta boots on the llbean site.)

Any fully gussetted tongue should stay centered. If the tongue is "free" (not gussetted to the outer all the way to the top) then a good boot design should feature a lace tab on the tongue to cross laces through, to keep the tongue centered. If the Cresta is not fully gussetted, and does not have a lace tab, then it's missing a design feature. Maybe you can improvise a lace tab to fix it.

(The migration of the tongue has more to do with your particular foot shape and gait than with the boot. The foot and the gait cause it; proper boot design controls it.)

Good luck!

TCD

My first pair of Crestas went for 7 years and way beyond their tread life (with several thousand miles) before I retired them from mountain duty. The second pair is only two years old. Neither had tongue migration. My son's pair are fine also. The tongue is fully gusseted. I'm thinking that TCD is quite correct about it being a function of gait and foot structure. Glad Bean's helped you out. LLBean is always doing its best to please the customer.

I agree with the others. Many years and the tongues are still pretty much in the middle. I like TCDs idea about the lace tab but might want to think about a few of them all the way up to keep the tongue from flexing too much.

Last edited:
Tongues tend to set during the break-in of the boot. I have read of cases where the tongue had to be sewn in position to prevent it from setting out of position.

Doug