Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best winter Sleeping PAD?

sort of related to this thread, if I plan on using my 3 season tent in winter does using or not using the footprint make any difference in insulation value? I know a three season tent doesn't have the structural benefit of a winter tent but I'm not concerned about using a footprint for damage by rocks, sticks, etc in winter. any other concern about using a 3 season tent in winter? most likely not above treeline
    Keith
    NE 4k 67 x 2

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    The footprint adds nothing to insulation. But you will discover its merits in the morning when you break camp. Without it, your tent floor will be frozen to the snow surface -- or worse, to the ground if there was insufficient snow for insulation.

With the footprint in place, packing the tent is much easier in the morning. You won't need to break off clumps of ice from the tent floor and the tent stays drier. (Water is evil in winter in all its forms, except for traveling on and imbibing.) The footprint can be shaken (not stirred) to relieve it of any ice/snow cladding it acquires.
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Re a footprint:
    Just buy some plastic drop cloth (available in a number of thicknesses) at your local hardware store and cut it to match your tent floor. Much lighter and cheaper. Thinner is lighter but less durable--I think I use ~1mil thickness.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul View Post
    Re a footprint:
    Just buy some plastic drop cloth (available in a number of thicknesses) at your local hardware store and cut it to match your tent floor. Much lighter and cheaper. Thinner is lighter but less durable--I think I use ~1mil thickness.

Doug
    Tyvek can be free if you don’t mind dumpster diving.

Product specs to the right
    Enjoy your best

Quote Originally Posted by sardog1 View Post
    The footprint adds nothing to insulation. But you will discover its merits in the morning when you break camp. Without it, your tent floor will be frozen to the snow surface -- or worse, to the ground if there was insufficient snow for insulation.

With the footprint in place, packing the tent is much easier in the morning. You won't need to break off clumps of ice from the tent floor and the tent stays drier. (Water is evil in winter in all its forms, except for traveling on and imbibing.) The footprint can be shaken (not stirred) to relieve it of any ice/snow cladding it acquires.
    I like to inspect the area under the tent after packing up: The person who melted more snow/ice under the tent was less well insulted from the snow/ice overnight and was probably colder.

I don't use a footprint at all. One thing I have done is to cut 3 Walmart blue eggcrate pads to fit my winter tent floor precisely for full floor coverage. These can be duct taped together in the tent, if you want. Actually only the 2 outside pads needed to be cut, I think. I share these with whoever else will be in my tent that night as our bottom/first pad layer. We then also pack whatever we want to use as our second pad. This system works well to assure at least one full layer of insulation throughout the tent. I also like this system if I'm sharing the tent with a dog, as it guarantees the dog some pad and protects the floor from claws.

If there'll be 3 people in the tent, we each have one of my pieces and our own 2nd pad. If there'll be 2 people in the tent, 1 person carries the full/middle pad and their own pad and the other carries the 2 outside cut pads and their own pad.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.