do overs

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I would like to do dix, dial and rocky peak over again becouse I had bad wheather on them. I would like to do Big slide again becouse it was my favorite. What peaks would you "do over" if you had the chance?

1. Jefferson
2. Liberty
3. Old Speck, ME
4. Washington (in winter)
5. Bondcliff, Carrigain, and W. Bond I would do ever year if I had the chance

Focusing on the 30 NH 4Ks I've done:

Yes:

Adams (A favorite, maybe the favorite)
Eisenhower (done numerous times, will be done many more)
Isolation
Jackson (see Eisenhower)
Jefferson
Lafayette (special to my wife and I for personal reasons)
Lincoln
Madison (took me several tries; I'll be back)
Monroe
Moriah
Pierce (see Jackson)
Tom
S. Twin
Washington (Don't know why, I just like it)

No:

Cabot (But I'll do The Horn again)
Carters (But I'll do Hight again)
Field
Galehead
Hale
Hancocks
Owl's Head
Tripyramids
Waumbek (But I'll do Starr King again)
Willey
Zealand

Steve

Just about done them all over again! Or will have by the time my body calls it quits.

As for Blake, the first time was a tough haul over Colvin...

The second was up the Lake-to-Blake trail through an unbroken barricade of snow...

The last was another dose of pain up the Lake-to-Blake trail--on the last day of a 5 day solo with a FULL backpack...

And just to prove my insanity, the next ascent will be a traverse from Elk Lake over all nine false summits of the Pinnacle Ridge.

If the thunder don't get you, then the lightning will!!!

SherpaKroto said:
All of them.

forth,

Yes, even Cliff and Blake. Ive done 19 over again and a few more again, again. My lungs will never get enough of that rarified 4000' (or therabouts :)) air. After all, does it really matter what the vantage is?

Being honest with myself, there is no "if I had the chance." I DO have the "chance" to do them all over, but we won't. We have other mountains and places to go that we haven't seen before ("so many places, so little time," and all that). I had a love-hate relationship with Cliff. The more I think about it, the more I think that was a peak that had "character" (not sure how to describe it, really). I said once that I probably wouldn't hike it again, and I probably won't. I'm going to enjoy the memory and the pictures we have of a trail that after this year may no longer exist. There was nothing about Emmons that particularly drew me to that peak. Many we've done multiple times, and we'll return to some that we liked but have done only once (Seymour, for example). Some are simply on a "do-over" list to enjoy the views we didn't get the first time: Rocky Peak Ridge and Haystack, our 46th. Strangely, Joanne and I have done Marcy several times, but only once did I have views, and Joanne wasn't with me, so that one's on the list, too. It also might be fun to try some new approaches to some of them.

rhihn said:
Being honest with myself, there is no "if I had the chance." I DO have the "chance" to do them all over, but we won't. We have other mountains and places to go that we haven't seen before ("so many places, so little time," and all that). I had a love-hate relationship with Cliff. The more I think about it, the more I think that was a peak that had "character" (not sure how to describe it, really). I said once that I probably wouldn't hike it again, and I probably won't. I'm going to enjoy the memory and the pictures we have of a trail that after this year may no longer exist. There was nothing about Emmons that particularly drew me to that peak. Many we've done multiple times, and we'll return to some that we liked but have done only once (Seymour, for example). Some are simply on a "do-over" list to enjoy the views we didn't get the first time: Rocky Peak Ridge and Haystack, our 46th. Strangely, Joanne and I have done Marcy several times, but only once did I have views, and Joanne wasn't with me, so that one's on the list, too. It also might be fun to try some new approaches to some of them.

Second. :)

I to would like to move on and do the green/whites when I am done. So considering that you might not have the time to repeat all 46 is what I meant. I know we would like to do them all again. (I am 47 and only have time enough for 6-8 peaks a year. Hopfully I will be like the gentleman who got his 46th at age 82, but who knows what holds in store)

Adk_dib said:
I to would like to move on and do the green/whites when I am done. So considering that you might not have the time to repeat all 46 is what I meant. I know we would like to do them all again. . . .
I'm 60 years old, and who knows how much longer I have to hike in the mountains? Not me, for sure. As it happens, I'm not a "list" guy, and so my choice of ramble for any given day is pretty random. Might be something new to me or something I've done before. I like new and I like familiar. Might be something over 4K or less than 3K. No matter. I've not climbed a mountain yet that I wouldn't visit again if chance and mood strike together.

G.

You have to try blake from the other side. After an all day up and down slog, you finally get to the top. On the way are some pretty views of the Ausables, and the view overlooking Elk Lake from Pinnacle is worth the extra mileage.

-percious

I'd like to re-visit several peaks I hiked this year so I can see the views I missed. Most noteably: North Brother, Saddleback, Horn, South & Middle Moat and Kersarge North. There really aren't too many I wouldn't hike again.

On the other hand, I was fortunate enough to visit Mt. Nancy in NH and Mt. Abraham and Katahdin in Maine on perfect days. On Abraham I could see Mt. Washington and Katahdin at the same time!! I remember telling my friends I'll never have to hike up there again because the view will never be better than it was on that day.

Would I do them over again? I have been again and again. Somebody stop me! :D

Mountains to do over!

Not all of them, but definitely ones with interesting trails and good views.
NH
Carrigain
Mt. Moriah - Never had a view summer or winter due to weather
Shelburne Moriah
Adams
Jefferson - In the winter. I was up there on a foggy day.
Madison
Eisenhower

Maine
Kathadin
The Bigelows
Cranberry Peak
Saddleback and the Horn

VT
Mansfield
Camels Hump
East Haven - Interesting views of the Northern Presidentials

NY
Rocky Peak Ridge to Giant
Have 23 more to do in NY, so I won't add anymore

I've done Knife Edge twice. I could never get sick of that section of trail. I guess that counts as a peak, since it leads to Katahdin's summit, eh? :D

The cure for hiker's guilt

Algonquin, Giant, Rocky Peak Ridge, and Colden are the Adk 46 peaks that I have done over most, although I have redone little Noonmark more than any Adk peak. I have purposely avoided redoing the trailless peaks (not that there is anything wrong with that). I figure I have had my fun on the herd paths and I will try to leave them as untouched as I can for the other first timers. Although I may redo Iroquois when I whack to the Shepherd's Tooth (Wart).

I suppose the best way to get over any such hiker's guilt would be to volunteer on the trail crews. Like dogs, all trail maintainers go to heaven. And unlike dogs, trail maintainers can hike and rehike all Adk trails and herd paths as many time as they like.

Tough question!

Definite yesses:

_ Liberty, just one of my faves because it was the first 4K where I actually got views, and where I started to feel comfortable hiking and backpacking
_ Pierce: I'd like to see it when there are actually views
_ Owl's Head: believe it or not!
_ Ike: Great payoff for very little effort (relatively speaking of course)
_ Jefferson: Another, "believe it or not!" Now that I've done Caps Ridge, I'm in love with this trail. Funny how that happens.
_ Adams
_ the Bonds
_ Moosilauke

Well, I could go on and on because I truly believe each peak has its own charm

Nos (the list is much shorter and none is a definite)
_ Tecumseh, unless it's winter
_ Zealand
_ Cannon

IThere are two that I missed out on a couple of supposedly great views due to the fog, namely:

Mt. Moosilaukee

Sugarloaf/Spaulding via Caribou Valley Road

The one peak I opted for a do over this year was Goose Eye (my current favorite). I plan to do it from a different route in 2005.