Snow-Free Trails 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blueberry Mtn, Evans Notch, 3 Apr

We hiked the Stone House Trail up and the White Cairn Trail down. No snow of any consequence. From the summit it looks as though the Deer Hills and Pine and Lord Hills would also be snow free. The snow line seems to be at about 2000 feet in the southern end of Evans Notch.
-vegematic

Mt Pemi

you can add Mt. Pemi via Mt. Pemi trail, essentailly snow free except very short section near top. But it is totally barebootable, the little bit of snow could be gone by tomorrow

Welch and Dickey

Some snow off to the sides (for viewing purposes only and as a last reminder), and some water on the ledges (they were slippery). Would definitely consider the trail snow free.

Quietman said:
By Sunday it might have a chance. The S. Pack auto road which faces mostly south is almost clear as of today. 7 or so spots of 5-20 ft long areas that have up to 1' deep. The woods at the top still had 1'+ is spots. Another hiker said that the Wapack up S. Pack had a fair amount of icy, snowy areas. This is second hand info as I didn't have time to descend that way today. The north facing parts of the Wapack from S. Pack to Mountain rd. should still have fair amounts of snow from what I saw today, and the N. Slopes of Temple also was still showing fair amounts of whiteness. I'll update on Friday if I have a chance. One thing for sure, it will still be wet!

We did a 3 mile section of the Wapack today from NH101 (basically, the Pack Monadnock Parking area) up to Temple Mountain, both Holt and Burton Peaks. For the most part, the trail is clear. We barebooted the entire thing. The rain the last few weeks has done a pretty good job clearing a lot of the snow out. There's a few isolated patches of snow just below the north side of each of the peaks, but it's all easily negotiable (although you do need to just walk right through it in a couple of places for a few steps). The trail is definitely muddy in spots, although, given the amount of rain we've had the last three weeks, it wasn't as muddy as I expected it to be. There's at least one spot north of Holt peak where the runoff from this weeks storms was literally running right down the trail (until it finally hit a well placed water bar). There are a couple of spots of boot sucking mud, but they're pretty obvious. There is one blowdown that is just north of Burton Peak that has a bypass around it.

Overall, that section seems to be in good shape, despite the fact that the trail is mostly north facing.

South Moat today was almost entirely snow free save for a few yards of it here and there just below the summit.

Bald Knob (Ossipees) is snow-free...

...as most folks probably would have expected by this time, April 7.

The Shannon Brook Trail, Bald Knob Cutoff and Bald Knob Trail are all snow-free and more or less dry -- just a couple of wet spots in low areas.

When will the trails clear?

Abandoned the trip up Clngmans Dome due to deep snow on the AT...I can't escape the snow!!!!

AT to Holts Ledge and Lambert Ridge

The Appalachian Trail up Holts Ledge in Lyme, New Hampshire is snow-free, and also the section of AT leading up to Lambert Ridge (on Smarts)

Last edited:
Mahoosuc Trail from Gorham

Today I went up to Mt. Hayes via the Mahoosuc Trail. I went in Hogan Rd. off of North Rd. in Shelburne, hit a logging road to cut some time off. I maintain the Mahoosuc Trail from the summit of Hayes to Trident Col, and I wanted to do some today. Though a litte muddy, the trail is ok to the beautiful south viewpoint of Mt. Hayes. From the viewpoint to the summit of Hayes and to the junction with the Centennial Trail, there were snow patches, some containing deep snow that is starting to give away. I also went towards Cascade Mt. hoping to do some water bar cleaning and trimming if needed..once into the woods, deep snow! no water bars visible to clean..returned and did some trimming and debris clearing from viewpoint back down to the logging road..Mt. Hayes is on the 52WAV, save it for a nice day, you will value your time spent on the SW viewpoint...

Mahoosuc Trail from Gorham

The Mahoosuc Trail from either the Gorham trestle side or the Shelburne side, Hogan Rd., has no snow on it..it's well worth the trip to the beautiful viewpoint located on the SW flank of the mountain..continue past the summit to the Centennial Trail junction for west and northern views, though obstructed, are nice too..but there is some snow patches past the viewpoint!
Regards, Lefty E

Moat Mountain Trail to South Moat has been free of snow for some time, but there were reports of snow between South and Middle. Today I hiked over both peaks, just a few small patches of snow in the col and, surprisingly, a couple of patches on the ledges, fully exposed to the sun.

Just a heads up....

Some of these snow free trails could become temporarily snow covered again starting on Friday(4/16). Looks like a pretty good chance of snow Thursday night through Saturday.

Stinson Mountain Trail (both the hiking and snowmobile portions) were completely snow-free today (04/24/2010).

Also, as one would expect with it's low elevation, Rattlesnake Mountain Trail is also completely snow free.

Went to Owls head on Saturday. Lincoln Woods, Black Pond, Black Pond BW, & Lincoln Brook trails all snow free. Owls Head Slide was snow free to 3500 feet and then some monorail and snow up to 2 feet on the summit.

Liberty Trail on Chocorua snow-free for all intents (couple of ankle-deep patches in the shady saddle below the cabin). Summit cone dry. Others reported the ledges on Brook trail were wet and slippery, decided not to go that way.