For spaced-out hikers. Hiking map of Mars.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Scientists using data from the HRSC experiment onboard ESA's Mars Express spacecraft have produced the first 'hiker's maps' of Mars.
If you consider yourself to be a spaced-out hiker you will want to take note of this new hiker's map of Mars.

I already know what food to take. Marsipam.

AFAIK there are no trees on Mars because if there were someone would have posted it on the internet.

There is water but I doubt you need to filter it.

Perhaps DougPaul could give us an idea as to the throw distance comparisons of LED headlamps and GPS functionality.

Would an Earth compass actually work on Mars? Seriously, I don't want to buy gear for nothing.

More likely have to worry about sand fleas.

Anyone got a 100 highest list started yet? No continents, so it's hard to subdivide...

I seriously doubt that anyone on this website will ever hike on Mars. It doesn't seem likely.

-Dr. Wu

Perhaps DougPaul could give us an idea as to the throw distance comparisons of LED headlamps and GPS functionality.
* A GPS would probably be pretty useless. It only works on or near earth. (For instance, the space shuttle uses GPS.)

* You could throw your LED headlamp about 2-3 times as far as you can throw it on earth. (Mars's surface gravity is only ~38% of earth's surface gravity.)

Would an Earth compass actually work on Mars? Seriously, I don't want to buy gear for nothing.
Probably not--Mars magnetic field is only ~.0001 times the field on earth.

Doug

* A GPS would probably be pretty useless. It only works on or near earth.

Have you tried yours anywhere else?

* You could throw your LED headlamp about 2-3 times as far as you can throw it on earth. (Mars's surface gravity is only ~38% of earth's surface gravity.)
I was referring to the distance that the light beam projects through space and maintains effectiveness. I hypothesize that you surmised that I meant the actual distance that an Earthling could throw his headlamp on Mars compared to the throw distance here on Earth.

DougPaul said:
* A GPS would probably be pretty useless. It only works on or near earth.
Have you tried yours anywhere else?
Don't have to. A back-of-the-envelope calculation based upon the relative distance between the satellites and the receivers (on earth vs closest approach of Mars) suggests that the signal will be at least 70db weaker on Mars than on the surface of the earth--far to weak to be detectable by a standard GPS.

You would need to have radio-telescope-sized antennas (eg a 30+ foot parabolic reflector) to receive the signals. It is probably much easier to analyze the doppler shift of signals between the surface and a Mars orbiter--similar to the Transit system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_(satellite) The Mars Rover uses imagery with ~20 meter resolution. (I don't know if it also uses radio-signal-based tracking.)

Neil said:
Perhaps DougPaul could give us an idea as to the throw distance comparisons of LED headlamps
DougPaul said:
Neil said:
I was referring to the distance that the light beam projects through space and maintains effectiveness. I hypothesize that you surmised that I meant the actual distance that an Earthling could throw his headlamp on Mars compared to the throw distance here on Earth.
You asked about the throw distance--I gave you an estimate of the throw distance... :)

Doug

You neglected to take into account the lower air resistance.
How do you conclude this? I didn't give detailed calculations.

Actually, one of the references said that you would be able to throw an object about twice as far as on earth. I gave a range of 2-3 times which would allow for differences in air resistance. And there are a whole bunch of other factors which neither estimate takes into account. (As you noted, clothing is one.)

Mars_gravity=.38 Earth_gravity
2.63=1/.38
If you assume no air resistance, the projectile is launched at the same speed and angle, and the flight distances are much smaller than the radii of the planets, the flight time will increase by a factor of 2.63 and thus the flight distance will also increase by a factor of 2.63. (This is all beginning physics.)

Doug

Last edited: