Lakes of the CLouds Hut ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghassert

Reaction score
Matawan, NJ Avatar:Harriman Stae Park, NY
Does anyone know whats up with the Lakes of the Clouds Hut ?

We stopped by it this past Tuesday and it was gutted out. There were a bunch of power tools outside and it lookes like major renovations are going on.

Glenn

I was up there last weekend and the crew working outside told us they were putting in a new toilet system!! I guess the toilets are going to be where the kitchen was and vice versa.

Composting toilet installation

They were supposed to install composting toilets at Lakes after the hut closed for the season. The composting toilets will not fit under the existing bathrooms. The kitchen will allow toilets beneath so they are effectively moving the toilets to the kitchen area and moving the kitchen elsewhere. My understanding was that there would be no change in the footprint of the hut. Under the hut permit renewal there is pretty strong language prohibiting any footprint increases at either Lakes or Madison, for any reason.

Interesting - I thought they couldn't use composting toilets there because of the cold, damp climate...

What I heard is that the composting toilet probably won't compost effectively, the collected material will be periodically shoveled out and transported elsewhere. But the system will stop the use of the lower Lake of the Clouds for flushing the current toilets and should decease the impact on the current leach field.

I stayed at Lakes of the Clouds a couple of days before they closed for the season. The staff said that pretty much everything was going to change except for the dining room. I believe that they have composting toilets at Mizpah Spring Hut, and I think they are putting in a similar system at Lakes.