Fake Petzl Climbing Gear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for the link. Playing devils advocate though: Fakes are normally not produced to such high standards that they are essentially indiscernable in look and performance from the original. I hope Petzl is not trying to cover up a bad batch. Regardless, as it would be easier to not buy their gear now, it won't help their business. Too bad.

I used to do a lot of work in China and what often happens is that factories will over-produce a run and then sell off the excess through back channels. Or they will run a second shift or assembly line in parallel with cheaper materials. They even order extra packaging so everything looks real and legit.

It's rare that they start from scratch to knock-off products, they usually have the plans and bill of materials (or buy them from a someone in the legit factory).

To my knowledge, the only product counterfeiters ever prosecuted by
the Chinese govt were people who made fake Beijing Olympic merchandise and therefore, competed directly with the Chinese government.

I used to do a lot of work in China and what often happens is that factories will over-produce a run and then sell off the excess through back channels. Or they will run a second shift or assembly line in parallel with cheaper materials. They even order extra packaging so everything looks real and legit.

It's rare that they start from scratch to knock-off products, they usually have the plans and bill of materials (or buy them from a someone in the legit factory).

To my knowledge, the only product counterfeiters ever prosecuted by
the Chinese govt were people who made fake Beijing Olympic merchandise and therefore, competed directly with the Chinese government.

So are you suggesting that this is a "Grey Market" situation?

So are you suggesting that this is a "Grey Market" situation?
It might be grey market for production overruns, but "assembly line in parallel with cheaper materials" would be fakes. (See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_market for a definition of grey market.)

The report from Petzl says that the gear in question fails at lower forces than the legitimate gear, so that would suggest that it is fake rather than grey market.

Doug