Proposed Donation for a Maine Woods National Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
A proposed donation of 70,000 acres east of Baxter to the federal government to establish a national park adjacent to Baxter State Park

http://new.bangordailynews.com/2011...founder-quimby-wants-to-donate-national-park/

I havent seen a map of the proposed area, but its sounds like its the area north of the Katahdin Lake parcel. It would be a plus for the Patten Maine area (which is very depressed) as the access would be via the east side of the park through Patten a few exits north on the interstate rather than through Millinocket.

I believe that the Baxter State Park deeds of trust explicitly are set up to prevent BSP from becoming a national park given Baxter's actions against this possbility many years ago, so not sure if the proposed parcel has enough attractions to draw folks up there by itself.

The proposed area is somewhat west of the Park proposed by Restore the North Woods several years ago by various conservation groups which tended to be focused between Moosehead and the westerly boundary of Baxter, but this area was in the boundaries.

I havent seen a map of the proposed area, but its sounds like its the area north of the Katahdin Lake parcel.

... not sure if the proposed parcel has enough attractions to draw folks up there by itself.
I thought a map of the Quimby holdings was in one of the previous notes but couldn't find it, some of the land went to the state lands bureau not Quimby or Baxter

Anyplace with a sign "National Park" will draw visitors whether it is special or not

national forest

I think that a National Forest would have a better chance of being accepted by the natives than a national park. No hunting in a national park. But a national forest is the land of many uses, so the traditional activities could continue, at least in a managed way.

I've heard talk of a national park for decades. I wonder why no talk of a national forest.

Ugh. I hope it doesn't turn into a National Park, unless they design it to be one of the more low-key national parks with little or no visitor services (i.e. canyonlands, teddy roosevelt, north cascades, great basin, etc.).

The best part about Maine is that it is so ridiculously wild. Where else in the lower 48 can you find a huge expanse of roadless area? Where else can you find free campsites along pristine lakes that don't require any reservations and are always available?

I'd love to see the Nature Conservancy step in and buy 1/2 of Maine. They keep things as basic and wild as possible. Not likely to happen though.

I'll take national park over a gigantic Plum Creek development any day though.

Get out and enjoy backwoods Maine over the next few years as much as possible because it is not going to look the same in 10-20 years. Change is inevitable here.

Last edited:
That actually seems like a very well written article. Maybe that's just because I'm so used to only hearing people get all up in arms about the national park idea. As if it'll be the end of the world if the national park happens. The more important thing is that there should be more conservation to guard against more Plum Creeks situations.

I agree with Roadtripper and Peaks-- national forest would probably be a better idea, as would the Nature Conservancy buying a lot more land. But for the most part I don't care which organization makes it happen, because it's probably going to continue much as it has been-- piecemeal. It would be nice if all that adds up to more recreation/conservation opportunities, and more sustainable revenue for northern maine.

I'm totally against a North Maine Woods Natl Park, agree with the others about a National Forest being a better option.

A small quibble: I've never heard anyone describe northern Maine as "roadless".
Yeah, unpaved would be a more accurate description for that area.

More of a rhetorical question but, given that Ms. Quimby had lived in Maine for many years and has a keen interest in land conservation, I am curious why she wouldn't consider donating the land to the state as an addition or complement to Baxter State Park?

Could be federal tax incentive or break. I really don't know and I'm not expecting an answer. Simply something I was pondering.

I don't think there are many people from northern Maine who would like either a National Park or a National Forest ... most in favor are from south of Portland or Boston!

In my travels, especially out West, I always look first at National and State Parks for outdoor destinations. They generally have the best of natural wonders and trails. Forests, refuges, preserves, reserves etc. are also part of my research.

A National Park in Maine would be disasterous for outdoor pursuits as they now exist in Maine and which I enjoy repeatedly. North Maine Woods has an efficient system for maintaining remote campsites accessible only by either trails or boats. They also have fairly decent logging roads. The federal government cannot properly maintain what they've got now and I would expect a loss of access to several areas.

Maine has a unique and growing network of conservation lands and easments that preserve the best of all worlds: access for a variety of recreational purposes, sustained forestry (not subject to politically inspired fads or payoffs), conservation, and no cost to taxpayer.

Let's heed the desires and experience of those closest to that land and not be so arrogant as to think we know best what's good for Maine.

That actually seems like a very well written article. Maybe that's just because I'm so used to only hearing people get all up in arms about the national park idea. As if it'll be the end of the world if the national park happens. The more important thing is that there should be more conservation to guard against more Plum Creeks situations.

I agree with Roadtripper and Peaks-- national forest would probably be a better idea, as would the Nature Conservancy buying a lot more land. But for the most part I don't care which organization makes it happen, because it's probably going to continue much as it has been-- piecemeal. It would be nice if all that adds up to more recreation/conservation opportunities, and more sustainable revenue for northern maine.

I've never heard on anyone donating a national forest. Donations have resulted in national parks, such as Acadia.

I've never heard on anyone donating a national forest. Donations have resulted in national parks, such as Acadia.

It's a brave new world we're living in. Just a few years ago I'd never heard of playing scrabble over the internet on my phone with random people around the world, but somebody thought it was a good idea and... well. You know. Anything can happen :)

S&P has just ripped the govt a new one on spending, and they have
$$ for this??