Idaho - Sawtooth Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arm

Reaction score
got some snowshoeing in last weekend, after attending a training course in Eagle, Idaho

wasn't easy finding out about outdoors options, snow depths, or someone to hike with, before heading out there, so it was PIBE mode all weekend

drove north from Boise on Route 55, then turned right onto Banks Lowman Road, which followed the Payette River through scenic canyons that reminded me alot of Poudre Canyon in Colorado

passed a few hot springs on the roadside - pretty cool checking out steam gushing out of the ground

spotted a large bald eagle flying along the river, then a herd of deer grazing just off the road - dusk set in, and had me wondering if deer crossing the road (with patches of sketchy black ice) would send my car into the river

stayed at a lodge in Stanley Idaho, grabbed dinner and settled in for the night

woke up the next morning and i was socked in - couldn't see 30 feet - the sunny forecast had me wondering if i'd cruised out here to be denied of seeing those enormous jagged mountains

driving up snow-covered Iron Creek Road was sketchy, but i reached the trailhead, and started up towards Sawtooth Lake - followed boot prints in the snow as morning fog burned off and blue skies opened up - awesome mountains came out of the sky and stood there

threw on the snowshoes as snow depth grew over knee deep, then switchbacked up through the valley to Alpine Lake, which was frozen and surrounded by huge mountains - decided to hang out here and skip breaking trail up to Sawtooth Lake, another mile of deep snow in unmarked territory

kept the snowshoes on back to the car to break a wide trail, for anyone who might back-country ski here, and for two guys who had barebooted up to Alpine Lake in their wet sneakers that morning

drove down toward Redfish Lake, hoping to take pictures, but the road (and Redfish Lodge) was closed - cruised down to Sun Valley, grabbed a room to gear up for the next day's hike

woke up hoping to drive over a mountain pass to reach Borah Peak (12,662'), Idaho's highest summit, but found out on the way that that mountain pass was closed - backtracked to Sun Valley and decided to go with my second choice, Hyndman Peak (12,009')

walked past the gate at the trailhead, through leafless aspen groves, across snowy meadows, surrounded by sagebrush covered hills

views of snow-covered Cobb Mountain and Old Hyndman opened up and made me happy to be there

spotted large cat tracks, visions of mountain lions danced in my head as i treked up through the valley

the path leading in towards Hyndman had been barebooted for the first two miles, and was unbroken after that - i threw on snowshoes there, and broke trail up to the frozen lake at 8724' where i chowed lunch at the cabin and admired alpine scenery

doubt i would have gone far beyond there, breaking trail in deep snow solo, so i decided to head back

spotted elk and fox on the way back to Boise

posted a few pics online: http://community.webshots.com/user/armmon

hope the admins don't mind me posting a trip report outside the Northeast, but i figured this might help folks plan a trip out there - beautiful country !

Great Pics, Thanks.

I've wanted to check that area out for awhile, but like bigmoose, I don't get training classes like that put me anywhere close to anywhere that cool :(

Sawtooths

Great pics, Arm :)
I hiked in the Sawtooth Wilderness area with AMC August Camp, and found it to be a great place to be. I think that we went into Sawtooth Lake, but of course, being summer, we didn't have to break trail.

One of my most memorable trips there was an overnight backpack into the White Cloud Wilderness Area. The next day we hiked up to two beautiful alpine lakes at 10,000 feet, and then went cross country and looped back to the camp. It was a magnificent area.
:)

Thanks , Arm!

I spent many evenings at the Redfish Lodge and in Stanley, ID. Thanks for bringing back the cool memories!

Nice Pics!! :) :)

Hey Are,

Great Pics, you lucky dog!

Looks like you are trained....for winter in New England now.

See you on the trails.

cb

Sawtooths

The Sawtooth Range is ace, like a mini-version of the Tetons.

A bunch of forest fires have triggered debris flows in recent years, some of which have added some Class 5 rapids to the South Payette.