Three Days In Maine - My NE67 Finish, 10/7-9/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
October 7, 2011: The Bigelows

Trails: Fire Warden’s Trail, Appalachian Trail, Horns Pond Trail

Summits: Avery Peak, West Peak, South Horn

Hikers: Solo

I was on my own this weekend and decided to take a shot at finishing up the New England Four Thousand Footers. The only remaining peaks I had on the list were all in Maine and they were all in the same general region of the state. I needed three days of hiking and two nights of car camping but everything, including the weather forecast looked good. I started with the hike located furthest from home, which was also the largest hike, and worked my way back. Up first were The Bigelows.

Initially, I was only interested in hiking the two 4K peaks (Avery and West) but there is also a New England Hundred Highest peak nearby (South Horn). I did the math and decided an earlier start would get all three. The alarm went off at 1:00am, I had packed the truck before going to bed, it wasn’t long before I was on the highway north. At ~7:30am I was parked at the end of Stratton Brook Road and hiking. The truck thermometer said 24 degrees but I knew the day would warm up once the sun went to work.

The early part of the Fire Warden’s Trail is a mild walk in the woods. With all of the fall colors the place is beautiful. Unfortunately, I’ve had my camera in to Canon twice for repairs and it needs to go back again. It will be interesting to see if they get it fixed before I run out of patience. Consequently, there are no pictures from the weekend. At 1.7 miles the Horns Pond Trail enters from the northwest and the Fire Warden’s Trail starts to gain elevation. Eventually, the trail is on a pretty steep climb to Bigelow col. I left the truck with two more layers than usual, by now they were in my pack and I was up to temperature. After passing the trail junction, everything generally dried out and there was very little mud or water on the trail. The footing is good and it’s just a matter of climb.

I hit Bigelow col and picked up the Appalachian Trail. First I headed east to Avery Peak. The final couple hundred feet of elevation to the summit is a very rocky stretch with some open areas. In these places the brisk north wind was making things uncomfortable. I decided my rain jacket was enough to take care of the wind. There were also areas of ice on the final approach and foot placement became important. I cleared the treeline, the wind was pretty strong and kept me moving. For a short section on the way across to the actual summit the trail drops slightly down the south side but it was enough to get a break from the wind. I made the final climb to the summit and wasted no time in a u-turn to head for West Peak.

From Avery Peak to West Peak is a short distance with ~450 feet in elevation along the way. After I passed through Bigelow col the gradual climb started and before long I was on West Peak in less difficult conditions. South Horn was waiting a little over two miles further west. I kept moving.

The ice never became significant but between West Peak and South Horn there was enough of it to require attention to foot placement. As I walked along I remember thinking how much this seems like the walk between Flume and Liberty. Eventually I was on the final moderate pitch to South Horn. I hit the summit and removed my pack to relax for a few minutes. While I was there another hiker approached from the opposite direction. It was a fellow named Ted from Derby, Vermont. His plan was to only hike South Horn and was then making a u-turn. At this point we were both headed the same way and decided to walk out together. I really enjoy hiking company and Ted was definitely a pleasure to walk with back to the trailhead.

After leaving South Horn we had a short walk to the Horns Pond Trail and then it was really our exit hike. The Appalachian Trail generally stays on the ridgeline of Bigelow Mountain and Horns Pond Trail heads down from the ridge to lower portion of the Fire Warden’s Trail. Only 2.5 miles back to the Fire Warden’s Trail and 1.6 to the trailhead and the Bigelow’s Loop was hiked.

It was a terrific start to the weekend of hiking. I managed to finish the hike a couple hours earlier than expected and made a new friend along the way. Thanks Ted, I really enjoyed walking along with you. Hopefully our paths will cross again.

October 8, 2011: Abraham

Trails: Fire Warden’s Trail (aka Appalachian Trail)

Summits: Abraham

After spending the night on Stratton Brook Road I made the drive to Kingfield for my hike of Mount Abraham. I was enjoying my drive along West Kingfield Road until it turned to dirt and became Rapid Stream Road. Evidently, Rapid Stream got pretty wild when TS Irene came through. The road must have been flooded with a strong flow. There are many areas where fill has been used to help make the road passable but it’s very rough. There may have been a couple places where I hit 10 mph but mostly it was ~5 mph. In one section it appeared the current road surface was at least four feet below the previous road surface. I assume it was hit with a bulldozer to make it passable but it’s rough. I expected at any moment I would see Marc Howes in his Corolla OR Edition. It never happened.

I reached the location of the washed-out bridges, parked as much out of the way as I could, grabbed my things, and headed to the trailhead. The first crossing was easy with plenty of high rocks for a dry crossing. The second crossing made me pull out my sandals. I waded across in knee-deep water – refreshing! After I dried off and re-installed my hiking boots I was on my way. ~.5 miles and I was at the trailhead.

The Fire Warden’s Trail has been getting a lot of attention this year. At the trailhead there is a notice the Fire Warden’s Cabin was gone and the trail in the area was relocated to the south. On the early part of the trail I found two additional sections of trail that were recently relocated to the south. After crossing the logging road I came to a couple contractors that were working on erosion control; water bars, stepping stones, etc. They told me about the work they had been involved with over the past month and the trail relocation work.

This is a beautiful trail with easy grades all of the way to the area of the old Fire Warden’s Cabin. From there, the trail goes vertical all the way to the summit. After working through a section of conifers the trail breaks out on an upper part of a slide. From there, the trail is generally exposed for the remainder of the climb. The conditions on this hike were much better than the day before with less wind and warmer temperature. I was soaked with perspiration and the wind was blowing high enough to cause a chill. Out came the rain jacket for the final couple hundred feet.

As I arrived to the summit a couple young guys that blew past me on the climb were just leaving. I had the place to myself. The 360 degree views from Abraham are outstanding. I was able to view the area peaks that I had already climbed and the one that were still waiting. Not knowing how cell coverage was back in the valley I made a check-in call. Soon I was on my exit hike.

On the hike down there were a few others that had a later start; some near the treeline and others lower near the Fire Warden’s Cabin site. Eventually, I was back to the work zone stopping to talk with the pair of contractors. One told me that earlier hikers claimed to have bushwhacked upstream from the second washed out bridge and managed to find a rock-hop crossing place. I thought about that as I walked back to the bridge locations.

I arrived at the second bridge and noticed a few others on the far side looking at the stream and shaking their head. By then I decided to change to the sandals and wade back across. The change I decided to make was to pull out a hiking pole for a little stability. On the morning crossing I did not use a pole and was nearly taken out by the stream.

At the truck I had little to do before heading out; my hiking boots were off and my feet were washed. I grabbed a cold drink from the cooler and started driving the endless speed bump known as Rapid Stream Road.

Continued.........

Day 3 of 3.......

October 9, 2011: Saddleback Mountain

Trails: Ski Trails, Appalachian Trail

Summits: Saddleback, The Horn

After a noisy night in the trailhead lot at the AT crossing I managed to wake-up a little later than planned. The wind was blowing hard all night and it was loud enough to keep me up at times – and I don’t hear very well. After considering my options I decided instead of hiking via the Appalachian Trail from Route 4 over Saddleback to The Horn, I would drive to Saddleback Ski Area and hike from there.

When I pulled in to the Saddleback parking lot there was one other vehicle. I quickly got my boots on and took off. The hike route is clearly documented on a map that is available in a dispenser on the rear of the base lodge building. The route is also clearly tracked all of the way up. There is nothing too exciting about hiking up a ski slope. One nice point is any place you want to stop you can count on great views. I made quite a few stops on the climb. It’s quick, it’s direct, and if you need to finish early this choice will allow you to do that.

From the lot you simply go up; first Wheeler Slope, then Gray Ghost. By the time I reached the top of the first lift line (aka Royal Coachman Trail), which was also the top of Gray Ghost Trail, the wind was up. It was time for my jacket. At that point I made the turn and started up Tri-Color Trail. By the time I reached the top of the Kennebago Quad the wind was really up. I did some checking and the weather history indicates the wind was probably in the vicinity of ~45 mph, and very gusty from the northwest.

After leaving the top of Kennebago Quad there is a short trail that leads to the Appalachian Trail. From there it’s all A.T. over Saddleback and on to The Horn. It’s also generally all exposed except for a few areas of scrub. The walk over Saddleback, on to The Horn, and back again was real work. The temperature was comfortable but the gusty wind made staying upright a real test. It’s not a long walk and there are a few sections of scrub to offer a break, but unfortunately I was unable to really enjoy the ridge.

On my way back to Saddleback there is a large rock a short distance north of the summit that provided terrific shelter from the northwesterly wind. I parked there for a while, enjoyed the views, and had a quick snack. Soon the break was over and it was tome to get moving. As I left Saddleback summit and approached the turn back to the ski area I met four others also headed for Saddleback and The Horn; one guy said nothing and only shook his head, a woman asked about the conditions and wanted to know if it was windy on The Horn, the other couple were both making the most of the conditions and seemed happy.

Soon, I was back to the top of Kennebago Quad and headed down Tri-Color Trail. As I gave up elevation the wind decreased. When I reached the top of Gray Ghost I stopped to pack my jacket away. From there it was en easy walk down to the truck.

By early afternoon I was on the road home with the NE67 finished.

Unfortunately, due to a dead camera there are no pictures.

:)

You certainly had some gems of peaks to finish on, and in foliage season I can only imagine (sorry about the camera!) how spectacular it must have been. Congratulations, Earl!

Earl, I admire your daring and determination!
Congratulations on your accomplishment of completing the NE67!

You certainly had some gems of peaks to finish on, and in foliage season I can only imagine (sorry about the camera!) how spectacular it must have been. Congratulations, Earl!
Thanks MichaelJ,

The scenery in the Rangeley-Stratton-Kingfield area is outstanding at any time but right now there sure is a lot of color. I’m pretty disappointed about the camera. Earlier this morning I was on the phone with Canon and they are arranging for another return.

Third time’s a charm???? I’m hoping.

;)

Earl, I admire your daring and determination!
Congratulations on your accomplishment of completing the NE67!
Thanks.

I generally stopped thinking about completing the New England Four Thousand Footers over five years ago. Last year at Baxter got me thinking about hiking the remaining peaks again. Then, Sue and I had a free weekend recently and we hiked five of the remaining ten peaks.

Being free this past weekend and having an outstanding weather forecast for the period was all it took.

It was time.

Congratulations. You should have hit North Horn, too. It used to be on the list, and I think is a nicer peak than South. There is a 3000-footer somewhere along there between West Peak and South Horn, too, but Roy says it’s not on the trail, so you probably missed the summit of that one. As did I.

What model of camera, and what’s been wrong with it? My A720 continually drains the batteries, and my ladyfriend’s A720, which I used for about six months, stopped fully retracting the lens. I fiddled with it at home and the entire lens unit loosened up (fell apart, really) and is worthless.

Also, Earl, is your truck red? I think I remember a red truck with a VFTT sticker and some other stickers on it parked near EMS (Webster Square, I think it’s called; Michael’s, Five Below, etc.) a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
ne 67

Congrats on your NE 67 finish! I wish your camera was working. When I was on Saddle back and Horn in August we were socked in. You always take great pics. Would have been nice to see what I missed.

Congratulations Earl, nice report as always.

Thanks.

Congratulations.…….

What model of camera, and what’s been wrong with it? ……

Also, Earl, is your truck red?
…….
Thanks.

It’s a Powershot A640. There have been a series of problems but the initial reasons for sending it to the service center in mid-August were a lens error and trouble with the flash. The latest problem has to do with the battery door. It looks like it was damaged on the last service and it needs to be replaced. I’m confident they can handle the repair it just means another month without the camera.

The truck is metallic-beige. The only not-required-by-law sticker that is on it is a WMNF Annual Parking Pass.

:rolleyes:

Congratulations on your NE67 finish.

Those are some great peaks. :)

Thanks. Yeah, those are some good ones!

;)

Congrats on your NE 67 finish! I wish your camera was working. When I was on Saddle back and Horn in August we were socked in. You always take great pics. Would have been nice to see what I missed.

Thanks Skip.

The views from all of the peaks all weekend were terrific, with outstanding fall colors. I’ll think about this weekend and the lack of pictures for a while.

There’s always winter. It will be here soon and the pictures should be nice. I should have the camera back in time for winter.

:D

nice work Big Earl! I did all of those this past summer except Abraham which was 2 summers ago. Had really good views on both Bigelow range and Sadlleback/Horn. No wind. Congrats on finishing 67, I've only got the 3 in Baxter left. figures, I'm from Maine and never been to Baxter:)

congrats big earl!

haven't been a viewer of this forum for too long, just last couple of years.. I've always enjoyed your reports, great way to finish the 67, some of my favorite hikes! I'll be finishing someday when I get around to the VT peaks.. Wish u had pix for us, u hit an awesome weather window & foliage, way to wait for it!:)

Last edited:
nice work Big Earl! I did all of those this past summer except Abraham which was 2 summers ago. Had really good views on both Bigelow range and Sadlleback/Horn. No wind. Congrats on finishing 67, I've only got the 3 in Baxter left. figures, I'm from Maine and never been to Baxter:)
Thanks Keith,

As I mentioned earlier, I haven’t thought about the NE67 for over five years. Last year I hiked the Baxter peaks with Sue. With those done I was once again considering finishing the list. Everything in Maine was hiked either last year or this year.

There were also a couple Vermont peaks that landed on the back burner for the same reason. I went there with Sue and hiked a couple peaks leaving one. A week or two later I was in a similar position with a free weekend and returned to Vermont and hiked Mansfield.

The Rangeley-Stratton-Kingfield area sure has some terrific hiking!

:cool:

haven't been a viewer of this forum for too long, just last couple of years.. I've always enjoyed your reports, great way to finish the 67, some of my favorite hikes! I'll be finishing someday when I get around to the VT peaks.. Wish u had pix for us, u hit an awesome weather window & foliage, way to wait for it!:)
Thanks natron,

Yeah, yeah….. I wish I had pictures too. Maybe I just need to bite the bullet and purchase a cheap back-up camera. It sure was nice weather and nice foliage.

I’m sure it won’t be more than two or three weeks and I’ll have my old friend the A640 back.

;)

Hi Earl, Congrats on finishing a list. Ellen and I finished the 115 on the Horn going up the way you did. It was way down to the col between those 2. Glad you had nice views on the Bigelows. We did them the first time in bad weather and we went back again after finishing the 115 on a beautiful day. Your trip report on the Traveler loop in Baxter is a great read. Keep hiking, Mike D.

very encouraging...so what's next Disney world or ADK?

Congratulations BigEarl on the NE67! The Rangeley area is a fantastic place. Nice job!

Petch

Hi Earl, Congrats on finishing a list. Ellen and I finished the 115 on the Horn going up the way you did. It was way down to the col between those 2. Glad you had nice views on the Bigelows. We did them the first time in bad weather and we went back again after finishing the 115 on a beautiful day. Your trip report on the Traveler loop in Baxter is a great read. Keep hiking, Mike D.
Thanks Mike,

Yeah, that’s a pretty good drop from Saddleback to the col. The gusty high wind made for some interesting dance steps along the way.

The Traveler Loop is definitely a terrific way to spend a day. Next time, I’m having some blueberries.

;)

Way to Go, Big Earl!
Thanks Sabrina.

very encouraging...so what's next Disney world or ADK?
Hey Puck,

Beats me. Unless something unfortunate happens, Sue and I have some hiking to get through before we worry about new targets. Last weekend Sue wasn’t able to hike, and nobody was interested so it was stay home or go solo. We missed the previous week and I wasn’t really interested in missing two in a row.

This NE67 side trip was a great way to fill the weekend. Hopefully we’ll be back on our hike plan this Saturday.

:cool:

Congratulations BigEarl on the NE67! The Rangeley area is a fantastic place. Nice job!

Petch
Thanks Petch.

Good hiking.