Busy weekend for rangers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the report it sounds more like too many unprepared, inexperianced hikers rather than Irene realted problems.

Is this any different from any other holiday weekend with nice weather?

It just sounds like there were a lot of less skilled people than usual out on the trails. If the percentage of people that needed help was "normal", it would still result in a larger number of SAR missions than usual.

Doug

Sounds like half of the problems could have been eliminated by simply carrying a flashlight or headlamp. That never ceases to amaze me. You can be surprised by a lot of things out on the trails, but not sunset.

"Everything is energy and that's all there is to it. Match the frequency of the reality you want and you cannot help but get that reality. It can be no other way. This is not philosophy. This is physics." ∼ Albert Einstein

Experience is the best teacher so these folks must be learning volumes. How good is that!!! ;)

Nothing like losing your offspring in the high peaks to sober you right up.

Happy they all escaped tragic consequences.

Last edited:
Yikes. Look like too many folks from my hometown area (Binghamton, Vestal) where well represented in the reports.:confused:

Funny and serious at the same time. Jim, is "tough" at times so many are going to get a maniacal little laugh out of this but the guy has also saved many peoples lives or got them out of the worst situations they have ever been in. Your head ranger not on duty with an already short staff at what I and many consider the most dangerous time of year affects the whole safety net out there. Calls go through the roof so to speak in November with hunting season in full swing, combined with all the normal activity.

Certainly not the first or the last LEO to take an accidental bullet at a range exercise. I know one NYPD guy who took a richochet shot in the posterior courtesy of a range instructor trying to clear a jam.

Hope the Ranger heals up well.

I had previously heard stories that Jim was one tough ranger (but rightfully and fairly so if you are caught in the wrong). Since then I have worked with Jim on several SAR missions and training events. I now know that he is fair and not so bad as some say of his reputation. I certainly appreciate his dedication and knowledge, and look forward to our next working encounter (with maybe a bit of ribbing from me on his current "adventure"). :D

It is both funny and serious. Funny as I'm sure Jim will hear this for years and serious because the outcome could have been so much worse.
I've been a pistol competitor for years, and ADs( accidental discharges) are very, very serious occurrences, and things that range officers and shooters are vigilant about.
Glad Jim is OK and shudder to think what could have happened.

DEC ranger recovering from injuries
KIM SMITH DEDAM
Press-Republican Plattsburgh Press Republican Fri Nov 04, 2011, 03:28 AM EDT

LAKE GEORGE — Department of Environmental Conservation officials said a forest ranger is on leave after injuring himself at a practice firing range.

According to DEC spokesman Dave Winchell, at about 3:45 p.m. Oct. 28, Jim Giglinto was participating in an annual training exercise at the Warren County Firing Range "when his firearm accidentally discharged as it was being holstered."

The bullet passed through Giglinto's thigh, Winchell said.

The injury was not life-threatening.

"First aid was administered by fellow forest rangers, while all firing-range activity ceased. The Lake George Emergency Squad took Giglinto, 47, to Glens Falls Hospital, where he was treated and released.

Giglinto has been a forest ranger for 17 years, working primarily in the Eastern High Peaks wilderness.

He is on administrative leave pending medical clearance to return to work, Winchell said.

Both the Warren County Sheriff's Office and DEC forest rangers are investigating the incident to determine the exact cause of the discharge of the firearm.