Trail conditions for Bigelows and Saddleback?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikes-with-him

Reaction score
Just wondering...how are the trails for these peaks?

Saddleback: The AT all the way over to the horn

Biggelows: Firewardens to Avery, West, Horns (both), Horn pond trail down: PARTICULARILY the water crossing right at the start.

Thanks.

I went over Saddleback and Horn via AT on 4-30-12. There is a trip report posted on here. The trail was essentially snow free with exception of very short stretches that could be stepped around. The area around the first pond was first spot that was slightly tricky. On the climb to treeline there was quite a bit of hard ice coating trail but could be stepped over and side stepped. As well as on slopes coming down Horn and North side of Saddleback. It was a little tricky coming back down Saddleback but no traction was needed and I'd probably leave it at home. It was in the 20s most of the hike at elevation so on a warm day some of the ice is likely to be flowing water. There was hardly any mud either.

I haven't been to the Bigelows this year but I imagine they are similar.

Sorry, I'm new to this site so I didn't see the message on my page. But yes, the Saddleback/Horn trip via the AT is definately a hike that will work fo you free of snowshoes or traction.

I was on the Bigelows last weekend. The water crossing on Stratton Brook Pond was a little high but totally doable. There were a few patches of ice here and there but no snow to speak of. I had microspikes but never needed them.

Hope this helps!

-MEB