Don't climb every mountain - This year's climbing season on Everest and hazards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fascinating indeed. I saw that Discovery Channel series with Russell Brice, Beyond the Limit, and it was very interesting. He doesn't fool around with people's lives; so much so that his Sherpas have the entire route roped and groomed before the climbers do any ascents. For him to say no to sixty clients, wow, the movement of the fall must be quite severe.

Thankfully I have no desire to climb Everest, but I can't stop looking and wondering in awe.

Yes, I read that this morning, Alan. I thought his decision was a very gutsy thing to do.

Respect to anyone who puts life before cash.....How will this effect the other expeditions?

Under the expedition agreement, he may still get most of the cash from those who have already arrived as long as he allows them to stay at base camp for the requisite number of days.

One can imagine that some people from other outfitters will cancel on this news - but their places may be filled with his former clients who may still want to go!

I'd rather be turned back and live, but a 73 year old woman did just summit; http://worldnews.msnbc.msn.com/_new...d-as-oldest-woman-to-climb-mount-everest?lite

And my friend/former Kili guide Wilfred made the summit this year, becoming the first from Tanzania and the first native African male to do so.

In my photo, Wilfred is on the left. Frederick is on the right. Though he looks shorter in this picture, the two friends are having fun for the camera. Wilfred is actually much taller than his pal.

Attachments

• People - Fredrick and Wilfred.jpg
    People - Fredrick and Wilfred.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
If I had the time, talent and funds to consider this trip, the possibility of being stuck behind others and not summiting or dying there...because they couldn't move...should convince me to attempt something else.

Kinda ruins the experience doesn't it? Pay all that $, spend all that time, and effort to wait in line. :mad: Especially if someone shouldn't be there but with the aid of porters, and more money, the ...almost make it.

Isn't that special. :rolleyes:

It's not everybody's cup of tea, but wouldn't "you" be tempted if you had the funding and the right athletic ability? What if all the stars aligned for you to go and make a real attempt? What's a bit of discomfort and overcrowding and danger if, if, if...

I'm sure that's why my friend Wilfred is there. He is strong from years on Kilimanjaro, he has connections through clients he's led on Kilimanjaro, he's heard from many, many people from all over the world that he could do it (even if they have no idea what an attempt is truly like), and here's a chance to travel beyond his dreams for himself while growing up in a realtively poor environment.

Last edited:

Wowwww I think this picture says it all:

Everest_line.jpg

And I thought Franconia Ridge was crowded in the summer. :D