Winding our Way up to Mt. Adams - with Val C

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca M

Reaction score
May 19, 2012: Val C and I zig-zagged our way up Mt Adams and then zig-zagged back down. It was a full day, about 10.5 hours and probably around 16.5 miles, give or take.

Trails included: Air Line, Link, Amphibrach, Beechwood Way, Valley Way, Randolph Path, Spur Trail, Knight's Castle Branch, Lowe's Path, Gulfside, Israel Ridge Path, Emerald Trail, Castle Ravine Trail, The Link, Cabin-Cascades Trail, Log Cabin Cut-off, and Short Line.

Along the way we kind of decided to go for as long a trail list as possible to see if the trails would ALL fit into the New England Trail Conditions website trails textbox but alas were still unable to fill it. Dang!!!! We still had fun trying to do as many trails as possible. The real fun only lasted so long...until the end of the day, when we took the Cabin-Cascades Trail which led 450' back uphill - KILLER!!!!! Eh, still fun!

We each took pictures of the trail signs along the way but I won’t bore you with the unique variety of old and new trail signs we sampled!

Our first point of interest is this bridge, the Sander’s Bridge. It was missing a good chunk of the handrail so what was left looked like a turnstyle! The missing handrail is hard to see - it's the back right-hand section.
P1010148-sandersbridge.jpg

Next we came upon Chandler Fall (no “s” on any of these falls which is kind of interesting!) – the only “Fall” I’ve seen that seemed to have a right angle:
P1010163-chandlerfall.jpg

Here’s Crag Camp where we attempted to help a woman wrap her blistered heal with moleskin and purple duct tape. I was NOT carrying superglue so that was the best we could do. Still, better that than nothing!!! Hope she made the summit!!
P1010170-cragcamp.jpg

Crag Camp’s outhouse – can you imagine having a toilet named in your honor? Is that a good thing?
P1010168-cragcamptoilet.jpg

At the Knight’s Castle – I just LOVE that name – just had to go there – COOL!!!
P1010177-knightscastle.jpg

From the Spur Trail, we could see these snowfields near Lowe’s Path and Adams 4 – looked like a nice run – I REALLY wanted to ski it – maybe next year!!!!
P1010184-snowfieldsonadams4.jpg

The cairn at T-storm junction looked like a crucifixion device from the angle we saw it – hmmmmmmm
P1010185-crucifixattstormjct.jpg

Yay! We’re on the summit of Adams. We knew a few folks would be up: Jim T, Sabrina, Eric, etc., and were hoping we might run into someone we knew… nope!!!! Just a bunch of bugs and a group we leapfrogged a few times.
P1010186-bothonadams.jpg

We think this was Storm Lake – looked a little like a puddle but what else could it be?
P1010199-lakeonisraelridgepath.jpg

Heading on down Israel Ridge Path, we didn’t see anyone except for an older gentleman who had separated from his friend and called to us thinking we had seen his friend. We didn’t tho we continued to look. Here’s a look into the beautiful Castle Ravine:
P1010203-lookingintocastleravine.jpg

At Emerald Bluff we took in the outstanding views. Truly breathtaking!
P1010219-emeraldbluff.jpg

In the Emerald Bluff area we happened upon this little fellow left by the leprechauns. I swear it’s real…..??????
P1010223-fourleafwhatever.jpg

~cont.~

Last edited:
cont.

On down the beautiful soft Emerald Trail:
P1010226-unusedpath.jpg

And further down into the bottom of the cirque/ravine, we took the Link to the Cascades. These falls reminded me of Thoreau Falls – there’s a nice dropoff. Here’s what you see when you get close:
P1010233-bluffonlinktrail_1.jpg

And when you look OVER the edge, here’s what the rock looks like:
P1010234-bluffonlinktrail_2.jpg

Looking back up to the castles through old birch trees:
P1010227-thrubirchestocastles.jpg

And… on the drive back, Val spotted this moose roadside:
P1010242-moose.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope you enjoy this journey!!!! It was a very fun day with AWESOME company!!!!!

Nicely done, hiking sistahs!

I'm sorry we missed you! We had to bail earlier than intended.

In case you are wondering - the older gent you came upon sounds like the friend of an older gent WE met at the Castellated Ridge TH - they had been in telephone contact.

Very nice! You aren't kidding when you say zigzagged! What a bunch of great spots and trails you hit! A little work with the red sharpie afterward? ;)

Crag Camp’s outhouse – can you imagine having a toilet named in your honor? Is that a good thing?
It's no longer standing, but I'm proud of the one named after me. :)

We think this was Storm Lake – looked a little like a puddle but what else could it be?
Yup, that appears to be it.

Hi All!

@NH Tramper - thanks!!!

@Sabrina - interesting about that guy - the one we met didn't appear to have a phone!!! Not to offend anyone, but, his plan was questionable!!!!! We were really afraid we might come upon the friend in a bad situation!!!!

@mtruman - red sharpie was busy!!!! ;)

@david - so that WAS the lake!!!! About the outhouse... sounds like there's a story there - LOL!!!

Nice zigzaggy loop! You hit some of my favorite vantage points in the northern Prezzies.

I believe the outhouse is named in 'honor' of the guy who helped dig it out after a particular large spring snowstorm a few years ago.

That digger-out was Giguere. Looks like LaChappele and Neubauer were responsible for the research (and presumably design) of that outhouse: http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/compostingtoilets.html

However, did you happen to read what else was in the linked log from the same weekend as the outhouse dig-out? A bit of VFTT history:

On Sunday April 22 I witnessed a proposal on the summit of Adams. Ok, didn't 'witness', but I was the first person whom they told. They were guests from Crag the night before, members of the hiking community named Seema and Brian.

:)

Last edited:
That digger-out was Giguere. Looks like LaChappele and Neubauer were responsible for the research (and presumably design) of that outhouse: http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/compostingtoilets.html

However, did you happen to read what else was in the linked log from the same weekend as the outhouse dig-out? A bit of VFTT history:

:)

Awww, how exciting !!! I remember the "dug out" outhouse and I DEFINITELY remember the proposal :)
Thanks MJ for the heads up on this post . . . a walk down memory lane is JUST what I needed today. :)

Less we digress from the very excellent out house history

how cool is that Brian and Seema..

looked like a fine day Valerie and Becca..lots of good trails and places..never been to that Emerald place..guess I will have to solo it now;)

some excellent photos which really captures the day