No good deed goes un-punished

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about you big spenders, I carry a pair of $4 headlamps from Ocean State Job Lots (as mentioned, might as well carry 2nd lamp as spare batteries & bulb) which have got me back from several miles in the woods - even I would give one of them away although more commonly I walk out with people in distress

As a NH taxpayer, I'm grateful that you saved me paying for a rescue that with overtime might have run into 4 digits - maybe I should offer to chip in for the new one :)

As a NH taxpayer, I'm grateful that you saved me paying for a rescue that with overtime might have run into 4 digits - maybe I should offer to chip in for the new one :)
Excellent point! And it's worth pointing out that bignslow should have known better than to trust his headlamp to a couple of flatland cityslickers from out of state... :)

I carry one of these

http://www.walmart.com/ip/MAG-Instrument-K3A096/19349743

Bought it from Walmart. I hang it around my neck before it gets dark (I hate looking for a light when night has crept up) and when I sleep in case I have to get up in the middle of the nigh

I have one of these too clipped to my pack:

http://www.chinagrabber.com/mini-2-...-with-snap-hook---solar-flashlight-torch.aspx

Got it from Party & Card Outlet Store for $2. Should have bought them out. I use it often to save batteries and it hasn't run out on me yet.

Last edited:
Actually, no one can say for certain that the women didn’t make an effort to return it. It could have been lost in the mail. Probably wasn’t, I know. Or, maybe they never made it back to civilization.

I agree with Raymond's take on this.

The women could have been in an auto accident on the way home.

One of them could have had a heart attack, diminishing the urgency to be concerned about the headlamp.

The headlamp could have malfunctioned the minute they turned it on and the could have cursed you as they tossed the worthless headlamp into the woods.

Anything could have happened to the women, or the headlamp.

I think it's a stretch to think that they negelcted to return it because of forgetfulness, malice, or hubris.

I agree with Raymond's take on this.

The women could have been in an auto accident on the way home.

One of them could have had a heart attack, diminishing the urgency to be concerned about the headlamp.

The headlamp could have malfunctioned the minute they turned it on and the could have cursed you as they tossed the worthless headlamp into the woods.

Anything could have happened to the women, or the headlamp.

I think it's a stretch to think that they negelcted to return it because of forgetfulness, malice, or hubris.
She could have accidentally swallowed it too.

Best bet by far: she forgot (and we all know that "forget" is an action verb). :D

Breaking News

Breaking News:
A package arrived on 11/1/12, no return address, no note, and inside of it was...

THE HEADLAMP!

Faith in humanity restored (maybe I'm a little disappointed in myself for being so impatient) :)

Breaking News:
A package arrived on 11/1/12, no return address, no note, and inside of it was...

THE HEADLAMP!

Faith in humanity restored (maybe I'm a little disappointed in myself for being so impatient) :)

Wow. And you doubted them. What a D@CK !!! Hope you haven't spent all that Karma yet.

Wow....my faith if also restored.

OOPS...just had a thought. Maybe they really liked it, used it for the rest of the hiking season, plan to ski this winter, and won't need a headlamp! How is the battery? ( I am having doubts again.)

Last edited: