No good deed goes un-punished

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignslow

Reaction score
Back in late August (8/26/12) we were on Jackson for the last mountain in our pressie traverse when we met 2 ladies with a dog at the summit. They were novice hikers (their gear indicated a general lack of hiking experience) but they were in good spirits and very nice (nice enough to take our picture on the summit). They descended ahead of us and we left the summit about 10 minutes after they did. We caught them a short way down the trail and I had a feeling that they weren't adequately prepared for the conditions (darkness) so I asked if they had any lights, to which they replied "no". They had admitted that they though the AMC hike time was round trip rather than one way and were not prepared to be out after dark. I knew it would be a challenge for Nicole and I to get out before dark so it was very unlikely that they would be getting out before dark. I offered them my headlamp knowing that I had a spare in my pack. The people assured me that they were trustworthy and that would send it back so I gave them a card with my name/address/phone on it so they could contact me and send me the lamp. Nicole and I continued on our merry way making it within 1/4 mile of the trailhead before it got too dark (for me) to hike, so I put on my spare and we hiked back to the car at the crawford trailhead without any drama.

Needless to say it is October and I don't have my headlamp back. I try to see the good in humanity, so I'm assuming something happened to the piece of paper, and having no way to contact me they're unable to send the lamp back (seeing as how it probably saved their butts, it would be a little selfish to keep the lamp). So some pointers for those in a similar situation:
1) Get their contact information in addition to giving them yours
2) One of the ladies had offered to put the information into her phone rather than take my piece of paper, considering how things went, that would have been a good idea

If this story sounds familiar to anyone (While i was pointing out the summits one of the women says she lives near the end of the ridge that Isolation is on, I think one of them mentioned living very close to the trailhead (maybe Conway area)) I would appreciate any help in contacting the women (though I'd bet $100 that they're not on views...). Also if anyone has any suggestions of places to try and call for lost and found, It would be worth a try as well (I tried calling the highland center a few weeks ago, but they didn't have anything at their lost and found). I realized I've probably waited too long to ever get the lamp back, but I figured I would give them adequate time to send it out first.

Major Update
See post 32

Last edited:
I was recently a guest at Big-n-Book-time's house. (He says he's getting faster! :D ) I won't tell you how many backpacks I counted in his gear closet, but it was double digits! :eek: I assume you have an impressive collection of headlamps for all situations as well. :D

I too would be miffed at this situation, but at least you have some karma points in your favor.

My backup headlamp is sort of like one of these, clipped to my main headlamp strap. It weighs 1/4 oz, and costs a lot less than the primary. I could part with it a lot more easily than a $100 headlamp.

I agree, at this point write it off as karma.

I have observed that especially with novice hikers when they have a "bad hike" (rain, darkness, tired, more than planned for) , they sometimes want to forget about the entire event and unfortunately that might be the reason for the missing headlamp, as the event "didnt happen" . I am not advocating this approach, but I have seen it in effect.

I have picked up some cheap spare headlamps on occasion over the years, but I admit I rarely would normally bring them given current LED technology ( I do carry spare batteries).

Still good of you to have helped out or we may have had another lost hiker debate to "chew" over. Unfortunately for some folks, the only way they will be prepared the next time is to get caught in the dark.

You are a far better person for the loss, much greater than the cost of the lamp. You good man and did good and I bet you'd do it again if in a similar situation. Now you've learned to carry a small cheap backup lamp or two. Don't change. Bee happy. :)

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...41673&003=4239056&camp=CSE:GooglePLA:12565257

My sister gave me one of the above awhile ago, the thing is great, and it actually uses replaceable "watch" type batteries that are replaceable. You can remove the base (w/ the legs) so you can clip it to a keychain but the legs are great to attach to tent poles and use as a tent light. I've used it as a light source too when I don't have my headlamp handy...

jay

It was a nice thing you did, too bad you didn't get it back. I know I wouldn't part with my nice $100 headlamp, but my $15 backup from Wal-Mart I would. Although, I would still be upset if I didn't get it back. I still use that on some occasions around home/camp.

In the US, most trail signs have mileage. In the Alps, most trail signs have hours. Perhaps we should be innovative and start creating trail signs that have mileage AND hours. I think this would work well if the hours were VERY conservative aka based on a 10-25% slower than average pace.

I usually carry three or four Eveready headlamps that I get at Wally World. No great loss if I give one away. I doubt I would even ask for it back. But kudos to you for making sure that got out safe.

... the book is very clear and even has reverse directions for some trails.

Book time is merely a suggestion anyway.

To state the obvious - I doubt most hikers have "the book", or read this website.

As a conservative rule-of-thumb - one mile = one hour. Some will take less, some will take more. It depends upon the grade, condition of the trail, and the age/fitness of the hiker.

Such a sad expression

I guess "no good deed goes unpunished" can be classified along with "nice guys finish last".

Revisionist history might come up with these famous quotes:

I can and shall tell a lie.
Dishonesty is the best policy.
A friend in need is no friend indeed.
A penny borrowed is a penny earned.
Never do unto others as you would have the government do a handout unto you.

And so on.

When you handed the headlamp over you should have known there and then you would never see it again.

Last edited:
Take a survey this weekend while you're out hiking. You can even play dumb and say "I was wondering if you have a map or a guidebook - I'm wondering how far it is to <the next interesting point>".

Tim

Remember the advice on airlines and in other emergency situations: Help yourself first. In those cases it means so that you will be better able to help others afterwards. I suppose it could be said in this case, too. Give the others your backup to use (which is usually inexpensive, not the more expensive ones we want to count on to assist us). Then it won't matter so much if you don't get it back, and having some assistance, while not the greatest, will help them be grateful for what you shared. Keeping your best light means you are still able to share the beam with someone else you might encounter. Be glad for the good you did. Don't hold back from helping another. Let us know when someone has done you a favor, so we'll all feel better. (Like in the Sunday school children's song, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I'm not so much bummed about the loss of the headlamp (if I had dropped it, no big deal, though it did have a bit of nostalgia attached to it), but rather, the fact that they didn't take the effort to get it back to me.

I was recently a guest at Big-n-Book-time's house. (He says he's getting faster! :D ) I won't tell you how many backpacks I counted in his gear closet, but it was double digits! :eek: I assume you have an impressive collection of headlamps for all situations as well. :D

Quiet you! It was (one of) my nicest ones (princeton tec apex).

I have observed that especially with novice hikers when they have a "bad hike" (rain, darkness, tired, more than planned for) , they sometimes want to forget about the entire event and unfortunately that might be the reason for the missing headlamp, as the event "didnt happen" . I am not advocating this approach, but I have seen it in effect.

I never thought about the "blocking the traumatic experience" angle, thanks for the perspective

I have picked up some cheap spare headlamps on occasion over the years, but I admit I rarely would normally bring them given current LED technology ( I do carry spare batteries).

I used to carry spare batteries, and then I realized that the majority of the weight of a headlamp is the batteries themselves. Plus 1 experience of attempting to find all 3 batteries scattered in my "in-case" bag in the dark was enough to justify the convenience benefit for weight penalty.

Plus if I didn't have a whole 2nd headlamp with me that day, then what would we be talking about right now :D

you don't think most people have the AMC Guide who are doing White mountains hikes? They just drive to a random trailhead and start walking?

The women in the OP apparently did and they read it wrong, which is hard to do if you pay attention.

Actually I believe (from our conversation that I'm trying to recall from over a month ago) they received all their information at the highland center where there was some sort of "hikes in the area" handout and/or sign.

When you handed the headlamp over you should have known there and then you would never see it again.

I didn't, which is why I gave them the nice one ;)

I suppose it could be said in this case, too. Give the others your backup to use (which is usually inexpensive, not the more expensive ones we want to count on to assist us).

Yeah, hindsight is 20/20 in this situation, plus the primary lamp was in the top of the pack, while the backup was in a dry bag at the bottom. The other problem (my own fault) is that I don't own a "cheap" headlamp, my primary was a princeton tec apex (which I got on uber-sale, but to replace it will be $60 to replace) while the backup was a petzl zipka (which despite its smaller package, actually weighs more than the tikka with the elastic headband) which costs $30ish.

Last edited:
They were novice hikers (their gear indicated a general lack of hiking experience)

Pink packs ? Please expand so we can make fun of the ingrates ;). Agree with Karma comments. Multiples of good coming to you and away from them...as a matter of fact, if Irving sells headlamps I still have credit there :D.

BigandSlow.. EMS has Club Day this weekend if you need to find a replacement on sale.

Plus $5 off $5 or more if you sign up for their rewards program. I'm searching for something I really need :)

BTW, I keep a $10 LL Bean pinch light on the headband for the main light - to let me easily change batteries... I would give that away if I felt someone really needed it. I never squabble over a $5 inner tube-I've given plenty of those away over the years.

Tim

Revisionist history might come up with these famous quotes:

I can and shall tell a lie.
Dishonesty is the best policy.
A friend in need is no friend indeed.
A penny borrowed is a penny earned.
Never do unto others as you would have the government do a handout unto you.

And so on.

Funny but sad. There is some truth in the above for sure but I like to think this is the exception rather than th rule. I think the people just forgot to send it back, stupid, not very nice but not malicious or so I hope and maybe just maybe this story isn't over yet, just delayed.