dry river status? Reopened as of 9/25/2014

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natron

Reaction score
anybody hike dry river trail lately? heard there's been work done, clearing blowdowns, etc. very interested in the dry river shelter #3, is it technically open? and is the dry river trail navigable end to end without to much blowdown suffering? hoping to do a backpack trip out that way next month... thanx for any advice! :)

We did the middle section last month - here's that report -

http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=17730

Last year when I did the section up to Lakes of the Clouds, it was a blowdown $hit$how. I cannot imagine those being cleared out without mechanized firepower, and, that is a wilderness area so that won't happen. The shelter was in decent shape, though, somewhat rough. I remember thinking I could stay there if I *had* to... there was *some* protection. I wonder if Forest Service has removed it as part of the renovation?

Last edited:
I just got an update from a good source:

The Saco Ranger District is preparing a press release...

Also, separately, concerning the upper stretch - "The upper stretch of blowdowns was punched through." - presumably excellent ax-work!!! :)

I'm stretching my neck out a bit on this, but believe a big announcement about Dry River will coincide with the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Wilderness Act, which is Saturday Sept 27th.

It WAS ready-to-open 2 weeks ago, but there have been some new faces and position changes in the Saco Ranger District and those new personnel have been afforded some time to become familiar with the area.

Breeze

I'm stretching my neck out a bit on this, but believe a big announcement about Dry River will coincide with the 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Wilderness Act, which is Saturday Sept 27th.

It WAS ready-to-open 2 weeks ago, but there have been some new faces and position changes in the Saco Ranger District and those new personnel have been afforded some time to become familiar with the area.

Breeze

I mentioned in another thread last week that I ran into a Saco Ranger on top of North Tri. She indicated that they were close to done with that area (both DRW and the Isolation - West trails). She alluded to the new status as a lower-level wilderness trail (I forget the nomenclature) saying that the new trail sections are more like a heard path. Either way I look forward to exploring the area.

Does this mentioned work include the entire Dry River Trail? I have always wanted to do this trail, particularly the upper section that comes out on the flats near Lakes Of The Clouds hut. Does anyone have the link to the site that describes the scope of work? And as a side question I assume this would be an excellent trail to view fall foliage that wouldn't be as crowded as other trails?

Does this mentioned work include the entire Dry River Trail? I have always wanted to do this trail, particularly the upper section that comes out on the flats near Lakes Of The Clouds hut. Does anyone have the link to the site that describes the scope of work? And as a side question I assume this would be an excellent trail to view fall foliage that wouldn't be as crowded as other trails?

From what I heard they went over the entire trail (but only rerouted for better routes to avoid the washouts).

As for foliage, I find the that high peaks offer fantastic views in general, they climb through the evergreen and ledge and look down on the foliage. I prefer to be in the foliage and pop-up closer to the deciduous treeline. If you are similar, then the lower part of this trail might be nice, but that uppers parts won't have the same color.

You will definitely be avoiding crowds though!

This is very exciting news. Thanks for the update. It is an area I have been wanting to explore. Back on the list now.

Thanx for all the beta on this folks. This is great news. Kudos to everyone who made this happen. It could have been very easy for the whole project to be put on the back burner or not even on the stove at all.

The shelter was in decent shape, though, somewhat rough. I remember thinking I could stay there if I *had* to... there was *some* protection. I wonder if Forest Service has removed it as part of the renovation?
That's disappointing. Just before Irene the shelter was solid, in great shape even though supposedly not having been maintained for awhile. Was always nice to know it was there if needed.

Hooray! I was thinking Southern Presis this weekend and this news has potential to spice things up.:D

TJ did the ranger mention anything about if any work is being done on the Rocky Branch Trail from the shelter down to Jericho Road trailhead?? thanks

TJ did the ranger mention anything about if any work is being done on the Rocky Branch Trail from the shelter down to Jericho Road trailhead?? thanks

If I recall correctly she said that was next on the slate, but didn't say when it would be done - my guess would be next year, but I'm not sure how extensive that work is.

Related, John and Pepper filed a trail report a couple days ago saying that the bridge is still under construction, but they still have a lot of work to do, so even if the trail were open, it is still another couple miles of road walking from the road coming via the southern end.

Quoted from the above link on the news release. " Work on the Rocky Branch Trail is expected to occur in the summer of 2015. If you are interested in helping NFF with this effort please visit www.nationalforests.org for more information.

For more information about the Dry River and Isolation Trails, please contact the Saco Ranger District of the White Mountain National Forest at (603) 447-5448."

Any news on the tent sites that were along the trail? I am thinking of hitting one of them next month.

They are still out there. You just have to look for the small wooden signs. Dry River Shelter #3 is in excellent shape as well.

That's great news.

I <3 DRS #3 (although it kinda tilts down toward the front, so I like to sleep with my head toward the inside!)