Backcountry snowboarding question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdl

Reaction score
I'm planning on taking my son to the High Peaks in a couple weeks to ski/snowboard Marcy and/or Wright Pk. I'll have my tele skis and skins, but my son would never consider putting on skis -- shredding is the only way to go for him. So what do snowboarders typically do when in the backcountry ? I can't imagine my son's size 12 snowboard boots are going to fit in a snowshoe binding -- wear hiking boots and pack the snowboard boots ? How about those split snowboards, anyplace near Lake Placid that rents them ? Are the split snowboards worth renting ? Any other suggestions ?

Skis are just so much simpler...

Thanks,
Bob

The one snow boarder who was part of our BC trip last year used snow shoes for the hike up.

Skis & skins seem a whole lot easier than lugging a board AND snowshoes.

Skins are more sensible to those who don't snowboard, but as a former skiier, I can tell you that once you're going downhill it is a thing of beauty. The way you float on powder, hands free, feet warm and comfy. It's just simple pleasure. Much less cumbersome. That's downhill!
Uphill is another story. His size 12 should not be a problem. I snowshoe in size 13s. However, the beauty of snowboard boots is that they are comfortable enough to snowshoe in, with laces relaxed a bit. You don't have to carry boots or the board. You can snowshoe in the boots and use the board as a sled. Tie a rope tightly around the nose, about a foot back from the tip. From this, attach a dog leash. Now just drag it behind you and use it as a sled if you want to lighten your backpack load. Remeber bungies to attach the snowshoes to your pack when going downhill.
I enjoy cross-country skiing in the forest but I like to stay low, nothing anywhere close to steep.
Have fun out there! :)

I've done a lot of backcountry hiking up riding down on my shred sled this winter and found that my Burton Freestyle boots rock! They're hard to get snowshoes around because they're big so I just hike in them,(super comfy&warm) maybe post-hole a tad. I have a north face sack that my board attaches to which works awesome. Be sure to bring some backup binding components, it sucks having a plastic strap break due to cold weather at the top as your about to descend.

Another option are Approach Skis this pair by K2.

I've never tried them, but they seem light enough and short enough to do the trick. The reviews on the link seem pretty good too.

dolladoj said:
Another option are Approach Skis this pair by K2.

I've never tried them, but they seem light enough and short enough to do the trick. The reviews on the link seem pretty good too.

Only 3 of the 5 reviews are shown on the initial page--click on "see all reviews". The other 2 are highly critical.

IIRC, there has been discussion of these or similar skis in news://rec.skiing.backcountry or news://rec.backcountry. As I recall, comments were mixed.

Doug

Thanks for the replies...

I'll try to find some rental snowshoes that will fit his boots -- should be plenty of places in Lake Placid that rent snowshoes.

The Approach Skis look good in theory but practicality prevents me from dropping $200+ on them.

Hammerhead -- what North Face pack do you have for strapping the board on ? I saw a couple at the EMS online outlet website in the $40-50 range -- not large, but designed to have a board strapped on.

Bob

Snow-boarders post holing

hammerhead said:
I've done a lot of backcountry hiking up riding down on my shred sled this winter and found that my Burton Freestyle boots rock! They're hard to get snowshoes around because they're big so I just hike in them,(super comfy&warm) maybe post-hole a tad. I have a north face sack that my board attaches to which works awesome. Be sure to bring some backup binding components, it sucks having a plastic strap break due to cold weather at the top as your about to descend.

This is one of the main reasons people hate to see snowboarders on backcountry trails ! In general snowboarders are too lazy to carry snowshoes... so the "maybe post hole a tad" and ruin the trails for the people that aren't too lazy to carry the right gear.

Just my .02 cents,
Before I get flamed too badly I was a snowboarder for 7 years, and always carried snowshoes, before I was enlightened and switched back to skiing.

Ok flame away !
Bill

I'm a veteran skier but love to see anyone out having fun. It should be easy to get or modify snowshoe bindings to fit those boots. Then everyone :) will be happy! The snowshoes aren't heavy to carry when going downhill. I ski with them on a pack and hardly notice them.

(Almost all pack makers now offer packs with snowboard carrying attachments of some sort.)

Pin-Head said:
This is one of the main reasons people hate to see snowboarders on backcountry trails ! In general snowboarders are too lazy to carry snowshoes... so the "maybe post hole a tad" and ruin the trails for the people that aren't too lazy to carry the right gear.

"People" hate to see snowboarders on bc trails? You mean some stuck-up tele-skiers like you hate to see them. Guess what? the feeling's mutual, pinhead. If you saw a snowboarder in snowshoes you'd still hate him/her.

Despite your ignorance, I won't hold it against other tele-skiers out there or generalize that they are all so ignorant.

Last edited:
I knew that would get you going

I knew that would get you all going.
I know it sounded generalized... I apologize for that.
Unfortunately I have just seen too many post-holes that could have been prevented, by people carrying the right gear.

Again sorry for the generalization
Bill

forestnome said:
"People" hate to see snowboarders on bc trails? You mean some stuck-up tele-skiers like you hate to see them. Guess what? the feeling's mutual, pinhead. If you saw a snowboarder in snowshoes you'd still hate him/her.

Despite your ignorance, I won't hold it against other tele-skiers out there or generalize that they are all so ignorant.
On this one Forestnome hit it dead on. . If a tele skier cannot handle a post hole how do the ever manage to ski though all the trees around rocks and all sorts of obstacles do you carry a chainsaw to remove blowdowns? What happens if a moose puts holes in your trail ? If you want groomed trails go to a ski area that grooms trails. Not to mention the stuck up attitude.

Well, you did request a flamin'. ;)

I've been guilty of stereotyping before :eek:

I'm not clear about something; wouldn't it be stupidity more than laziness to not use snowshoes? It's far easier to snowshoe than to posthole.

Also, why would a boarder carry snowshoes? If you start your day going uphill and into the woods, you would wear them not carry them. Then strap them to your pack for the ride out.

Last week, I said hello to a couple bc skiers at the Oliverian Brook trailhead, while putting on my snowshoes. I asked "how was the skiing?". The man said it would have been nice if not for the snowshoers, as if the trail belonged to the skiiers.

I said "it is a hiking trail, isn't it?". They just kept walking away. I said "have a nice ride back home!"

These things happen, you have to just let them ride and not hold others accountable for it.

Last edited:
forestnome said:
Well, you did request a flamin'. ;)

I've been guilty of stereotyping before :eek:

I'm not clear about something; wouldn't it be stupidity more than laziness to not use snowshoes? It's far easier to snowshoe than to posthole.

Also, why would a boarder carry snowshoes? If you start your day going uphill and into the woods, you would wear them not carry them. Then strap them to your pack for the ride out.

Last week, I said hello to a couple bc skiers at the Oliverian Brook trailhead, while putting on my snowshoes. I asked "how was the skiing?". The man said it would have been nice if not for the snowshoers, as if the trail belonged to the skiiers.

I said "it is a hiking trail, isn't it?". They just kept walking away. I said "have a nice ride back home!" Sure enough, they got into their Volvo with Mass tags and sped away.

These things happen, you have to just let them ride and not hold others accountable for it.

You should have directed them to a ski area where the trails are groomed nice and smoothly for them. Or wise remarks like national forests are the lands of many uses. What would these guys have done before the days of light weight easy to put on snowshoes and hikers often only used snowshoes when absolutely necessary? . They should stay on the nice groomed trails I thought the idea was to be in the backcountry. Some one should remind them of that.
One thing though some of the VFFTrs are from Mass and are good folks too. !
That attitude makes it tempting to punch some nice big holes in their trails with plastic double boots. But I am nice guy.
I ski a bit and I can ski right over the postholes and snowshoe paths. And I am not that good at it.
I am starting to really agree with what Bruno said on another thread about postholing and wearing snowshoes.
( Sarcasm alert!) Or if you really want to play on stereotypes tell them some Redneck place is giving out free granola

did it again!

Oops. i did it again. :eek: ...stereotyping :eek:

Sorry about the Mass tag thing... I am a native Rhode Islander, I should know better.

Actually, I'm always quick to defend out-of-staters whenever I hear locals crying about them in general terms. Tourism is the backbone and heart of the economy around here.

Sincere apologies to all.

Last edited:
forestnome said:
Oops. i did it again. :eek: ...stereotyping :eek:

Sorry about the Mass tag thing... I am a native Rhode Islander, I should know better.

Actually, I'm always quick to defend out-of-staters whenever I hear locals crying about them in general terms. Tourism is the backbone and heart of the economy around here.

Sincere apologies to all.
Forestome After reading some of your post I think it is part of your writting and or talking style . Not intentional stereotyping.
I did like the volvo part. Ok they are good cars and my folks own one .
I guess I would be sterotyped as a redneck driving around in a Red 1 ton pick up compleate with plow and gun rack . Most would think redkneck not a person who likes being out doors with college degrees .
I have to admit reading about people whinning about postholes makes me wonder what they expect when the go out to the mountains ? Not mention makeing me laugh.

I think I notice stereotyping more when I'm on the butt end of it.

Happy trails, freind! :)

Last edited: