What made these tracks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I concur, snowshoe hare. In the first photo the direction of travel is towards the camera. Here is a site showing almost identical track photos.

Tony

Agreed, snowshoe hare IMO. It's obviously a hopper by the track pattern. The print looks exactly like what I observed after seeing a hare, then observing the print.

Nice pictures, HikerBob. The object for scale is of the print is important. What a gorgeous day for hiking!

tonycc, nice website! Thanks!

When I first read 'snowshoe hare' I thought to myself...

'Self, are they serious??? 'I mean, come on - those prints are a good three inches+ across. I wouldn't want to run into a hare that leaves a three inch wide foot print!'

However, looking at the links and some additional Googling has me convinced. I wasn't sure what would leave a track that seemed to consist of merely pairs of prints, but the bounding hare track is spot on with the larger rear foot prints in *front* of the smaller fore foot prints.

Thanks folks.

Bob

Nope..

They are all wrong. Those are the tracks of a dreaded long toothed JACKALOPE!!!

Beware. :eek:

"It is the rabbit!"

"Right...Lancelot, lop it's head off."

Sorry for this rather obscure reference...but hopefully some will get a chuckle out of it. First thing that came to mind reading this post. ;)

Peace.

ARTHUR: What, behind the rabbit?
TIM: It is the rabbit!
ARTHUR: You silly sod! You got us all worked up!
TIM: Well, that's no ordinary rabbit. That's the most foul,
cruel, and bad-tempered rodent you ever set eyes on.
ROBIN: You tit! I soiled my armor I was so scared!
TIM: Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide, it's
a killer!
???: Get stuffed!
TIM: It'll do you a trick, mate!
???: Oh, yeah?
ROBIN: You manky Scot's git!
TIM: I'm warning you!
ROBIN: What's he do, nibble your bum?
TIM: He's got huge, sharp-- he can leap about-- look at the
bones!
ARTHUR: Go on, Bors. Chop his head off!
BORS: Right! Silly little bleeder. One rabbit stew comin'
right up!
TIM: Look!
[squeak]
BORS: Aaaugh!

Can't help myself..

"What manner of man are you that can summon fire without spark, or tinder"

"I am a sorcerer. Some call me..... Tim."

LOL

Those snowshoe bunnies sure have deceptive tracks. I found myself tracking them ... and a bobcat seemingly in hot pursuit ... near Indian Pond about 7 miles east of Greenville this past weekend. At first, bearing a similarity to a human handprint, I thought they were the abdominable snowman walking on his hands ... then I thought, can this be a bear (whose tracks are only slightly larger but have an extra digit plus occasionally identifiable claw prints ... kind of early for them to be out wandering isn't it?) ... then I thought, well, maybe it's Winnie the Pooh. Finally, I came to my senses and realized what they were.

I bushwhacked for about a quarter mile trying to learn the outcome of this event ... the bobcat tracks disappeared and I doubt the rabbit ate the bobcat ... though from the relative size of the tracks ... I don't know about the bobcat but I called off the chase when I found myself waist deep in a spruce trap.

First one is also a Bunny Rabbit. It's front legs are dragging as he/she swings them back to the front. I was going to guess otter on the 2nd but i saw you already have it labeled.

Rugger said:
First one is also a Bunny Rabbit. It's front legs are dragging as he/she swings them back to the front. I was going to guess otter on the 2nd but i saw you already have it labeled.
Whoops, forgot about the label on the otter tracks.
The bunny "ears" on the first one are the legs dragging and the bunny is moving toward the bottom of the photo then?

I would say moving toward the top of the photo as the outside prints (hind legs) seem to be going into the snow from the bottom.

I believe the first tracks are squirrel rather than rabbit. Notice how the front feet are next to each other, rather than staggered which is typical of rabbit. Without a size reference, I'm not 100% positive though, nor can't guess what type of squirrel. The direction of travel is up, the larger back feet are placed ahead of the front feet. Looks like fluffy snow where the front feet dragged as it bounded off the back feet.

The second is otter. While I have yet to see one make these tracks, a friend of mine did. He claimed it arched like an inch worm, with its backed up and all four feet close together. Then it would launch and slide along on its stomach, looking like a snow torpedo. I saw the tracks right afterward and they match his description perfectly, as do the photos you linked to. We saw a lot of otter tracks on our recent winter trip up north also. Sure would like to see one in the winter.

BTW, that looked like a great trip. Where did you go?

Tony

Kevin Rooney said:
Yes, but ... does its father smell of elderberry?

Or was its mother a hamster??

(sorry I couldn't resist)

LOL weird coincidence I just watched MP&THG last night.

tonycc said:
I believe the first tracks are squirrel rather than rabbit. Notice how the front feet are next to each other, rather than staggered which is typical of rabbit. Without a size reference, I'm not 100% positive though, nor can't guess what type of squirrel. The direction of travel is up, the larger back feet are placed ahead of the front feet. Looks like fluffy snow where the front feet dragged as it bounded off the back feet.

The second is otter. While I have yet to see one make these tracks, a friend of mine did. He claimed it arched like an inch worm, with its backed up and all four feet close together. Then it would launch and slide along on its stomach, looking like a snow torpedo. I saw the tracks right afterward and they match his description perfectly, as do the photos you linked to. We saw a lot of otter tracks on our recent winter trip up north also. Sure would like to see one in the winter.

BTW, that looked like a great trip. Where did you go?

Tony
The tracks were too big to be squirrel.
We were in Quebec about 100 miles NW of Mtl. We snowshoed all day long for 2 days and never saw a sign of humans other than the occasional old logging road.

Clearly I was wrong about it being a rabbit - it is the landing marks of a coconut laden Swallow but I can't make out if it was an African or Europeon Swallow.