New High Peaks Shuttle Bus System

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puma concolor

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Coming to a trailhead near you ...

The roughly $1.2 million in state funding will be used to purchase four new, 24-passenger buses, expected to cost no more than $400,000. It will also fund the operation of those shuttles daily from around July through Labor Day, according to Keene town Supervisor Joe Pete Wilson Jr.

The buses will run 16 hours a day and stop at all major trailheads on Route 73 during that summer period, according to Gillilland. In the fall, the shuttle system may be pared down to weekends and holidays.

The shuttles will likely work in two cycles: One will run from Marcy Field in Keene Valley north to the Olympic Sports Complex at Mount Van Hoevenberg, in the town of North Elba. The other will run from Marcy Field south toward trailheads where hikers can access the High Peaks and Giant Mountain wilderness areas.

At the Essex County Board of Supervisors’ organizational meeting Monday, St. Armand town Supervisor Davina Winemiller asked if hikers would be asked to pay a fee to ride the shuttles. Gillilland said he wasn’t sure, but the discussions the county has had with the state so far indicate that it’ll be a “no pay” system.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/news/local-news/2020/01/state-will-help-essex-county-launch-hiker-shuttle-bus-system/

This is one of the better ideas 'they' have come up with. It allows parking at big lots, and it passes by a lot of popular trail heads. It seems odd to me not to charge for this, I would gladly pay a few bucks to be able to access these popular trail heads w/o having to worry about parking illegally, or not at all.

I may have to wait and see how the details will be worked out. Will people pay for parking at the larger lots? Will they eliminate or restrict the parking that is in place now? Will the fines help defray the cost.

In order above:

Not yet. The idea is that they will not have to expand the lots.

Some parking limitations have already been imposed.

Parking fines go to the local municipality (and the state whacks you with a surcharge), but I doubt there will be any direct correlation.

I think this fall will be the year I do the trail from Marcy Field. Will park there, take the bus to the higher traditional Cascade start and then walk back to the car.