Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reservation System At Popular NY Trailhead

Seggos added that the DEC was "excited to announce this unique pilot reservation system, which will help protect visitors and our natural resources, while also ensuring equitable access and educating visitors about sustainable use.”
    Kind of chuckled reading the article.......equitable? .....is it really? when club members will not need reservations.

Did building the AMR and the road have a negative impact on the area?....Yes the original owners had good intentions when they purchased the land..but what positive aspects is it really having now?....just a structure that is grandfathered in.

....Luckily there are many less popular places in the Adirondacks that are just as beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by cragway View Post
    Kind of chuckled reading the article.......equitable? .....is it really? when club members will not need reservations.
    Most club members are not hikers, (but I know some are), and they would pass thru the inner gate to their residence, or other common property, where there is ample parking. They are not part of the parking problem, which IMHO, is the big issue here, not 'protect our natural resources'.
    Tom Rankin
    Web Master - NY Forest Fire Lookout Association
    Volunteer - Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President - Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO - Views and Brews

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Ominous development in NY. Hopefully the idea doesn't catch on in NY or elsewhere.
    Since it's about NY, I assume you meant NH or elsewhere? At any rate, it's happening in ANP. Starting this year, May to Oct, you will need a reservation to drive up and park on Cadillac Mtn. From what I understand, in 2022, the same will apply to all the popular lots/roadside parking from Sand Beach to Otter Cliff Road.
    Last edited by JustJoe; 04-01-2021 at 10:15 AM.
    Joe

Everyone going to climb Mt Katahdin in Maine has to have a day use parking reservation or a campsite reservation in the park, this system has been in place for quite a while. The system had bugs early on but seems to work well these days. I hear far more complaints about the dog ban than the day use parking system. Folks have a choice, book a spot far in advance or take their chances as the date approaches or show up at the gate in the AM. If there are open slots in the AM the gate sells the open slots and then waits until 7:30 when they resell the passes of no shows. There is also the side benefit that the 7:30 AM cut off for reserved passes encourages hikers to set off earlier in the day which cuts down on hikers running out of daylight. To further the insult to some, they have to pay a road fee if they are not a Maine resident to drive on the park roads.

The claim is the day use fee was established as the cost of administering it but given its largely managed electronically and by the staff at Togue Pond gate, I suspect its really just a additional revenue stream.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    Since it's about NY, I assume you meant NH or elsewhere? At any rate, it's happening in ANP. Starting this year, May to Oct, you will need a reservation to drive up and park on Cadillac Mtn. From what I understand, in 2022, the same will apply to all the popular lots/roadside parking from Sand Beach to Otter Cliff Road.
    I meant other trailheads in NY like the Garden or the Loj, as well as other states like NH, ME, etc.
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

Some good follow up info in this article:
    https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/s...mTUZaamW4fW4to
    “Sometimes when you’ve lost something in your life that matters, the only thing left to do is go and find it.” Renan Ozturk

I meant other trailheads in NY like the Garden or the Loj, as well as other states like NH, ME, etc.
    There already is a parking fee at the Loj and The Garden. Reservations can't be far behind. Bring it along sooner than later at Pinkam Notch, Appalachia, Falling Waters and Lincoln Woods!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    There already is a parking fee at the Loj and The Garden. Reservations can't be far behind. Bring it along sooner than later at Pinkam Notch, Appalachia, Falling Waters and Lincoln Woods!
    I know. Paying a parking fee and needing a reservation are two different things.

I know. Paying a parking fee and needing a reservation are two different things.
    Absolutely..but if your going to have to pay to park why not have it reserved in advance.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Everyone going to climb Mt Katahdin in Maine has to have a day use parking reservation or a campsite reservation in the park, this system has been in place for quite a while. The system had bugs early on but seems to work well these days. I hear far more complaints about the dog ban than the day use parking system. Folks have a choice, book a spot far in advance or take their chances as the date approaches or show up at the gate in the AM. If there are open slots in the AM the gate sells the open slots and then waits until 7:30 when they resell the passes of no shows. There is also the side benefit that the 7:30 AM cut off for reserved passes encourages hikers to set off earlier in the day which cuts down on hikers running out of daylight. To further the insult to some, they have to pay a road fee if they are not a Maine resident to drive on the park roads.

The claim is the day use fee was established as the cost of administering it but given its largely managed electronically and by the staff at Togue Pond gate, I suspect its really just a additional revenue stream.
    I was unaware of the change at BSP for Katahdin, does that apply to hiking the other peaks within the park? Maybe on the way back from the Allagash I could end up at the gate. Since the Roaring Brook lot is also for South Turner, it would probably be, at least, any lot that services a Katahdin trailhead.

On DT's post, I assume he means the High Peaks Info Center at Heart Lake as the Loj lot is just for guests of the Loj. Staying at the Loj or the campground may be the best way to hike out of Heart Lake very soon.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Absolutely..but if your going to have to pay to park why not have it reserved in advance.
    Would paying for a reservation in advance have some hikers going up and hiking in questionable weather because they paid for that date already? Would some people pay for lots of spots and sell them at a premium? (Stub-Hub, ticket scalping?) How much could I sell 7/4 parking spots for if I had them all? (And to be utterly stupid, If I won the lottery, Could I buy every spot at the Pinkham lot and have an almost wilderness experience in Tuckerman Ravine?)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Would paying for a reservation in advance have some hikers going up and hiking in questionable weather because they paid for that date already? Would some people pay for lots of spots and sell them at a premium? (Stub-Hub, ticket scalping?) How much could I sell 7/4 parking spots for if I had them all? (And to be utterly stupid, If I won the lottery, Could I buy every spot at the Pinkham lot and have an almost wilderness experience in Tuckerman Ravine?)
    I imagine reservations would be tied to your plate, making them non-transferable and limiting you to 1 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    How much could I sell 7/4 parking spots for if I had them all? (And to be utterly stupid, If I won the lottery, Could I buy every spot at the Pinkham lot and have an almost wilderness experience in Tuckerman Ravine?)
    Great fantasizing!

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    I imagine reservations would be tied to your plate, making them non-transferable and limiting you to 1 spot.
    Unfortunate reality check!

I can see why there is so much hiker angst. You can only book your reservation two weeks in advance. I suspect the Friday, Saturday and Sunday spots will disappear in just a few minutes. (I signed up /created a profile already.) Not sure how the late hiker exit will work. The lot is open from 5AM to 7PM with an overnight section (3nights) and there will be personal onsite until 10PM. Sunset around the solstice is 8:42 with last night at 9:19. It appears you will be sleeping in your car if you get back after 10:00 PM. I can only assume there will be a gate with a combination or a key lock.

When I was actively chasing the peakbagging list, I would plan the next year as far as vacation days and which peaks to climb in December. I see that Keene and Keene Valley Residents still have access. Bus riders for now have access with a bus ticket within 24 hours of your hike. I just have the one hike left in that area for the list but in past years I was in that lot twice in a week that I was actually staying the ADK Loj.

If you are staying in the area, I have to make my reservations more than two weeks in advance. If I have two or four peaks left in the AMR area and a few over in Corey's, I'm staying in two different places for those two destinations unless I have a friend who's house I stay in. As someone mentioned, that's going to drive traffic to places like Cascade, Hurricane and possibly others. (Not the Garden, that will already be full) Sounds like they may be building some type of trail from the Van Hovenberg Center to Cascade, which might actually be a nice option.
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    For the AMR site, at least for now, I did not have to put vehicle info in my profile and for people renting cars, you wouldn't know your plate until you picked your car up.. (is there still car sharing outfits?)
    Have fun & be safe
    Mike P.