Mt Nancy question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lamerunner

Reaction score
I see occasional trip reports re Mt Nancy but I have a couple of questions. First, how far up from Norcross Pond to the summit on the herd path/?

And are those ponds suitable for a dip?

I was thinking it might be a fun warm weather hike.

THanks for any info

Hi lamerunner,

I was just up Mt Nancy not too long ago and if my memory is correct it's around a mile or so to the summit. I think it took us less than an hour to get to the top.

Not sure about the swimming.

-MEB

I swam in Norcross pond. It was OK, the water fairly warm but still refreshing as it was a very hot August day. The water was fairly shallow where I went in on the west end so you couldn't really swim full throttle if you know what I mean.... didn't have time to explore the whole pond for deeper areas. I guess it's a good excuse to go back there, isn't it? :)

The herd path to the summit is easy to find. It's located at an area that's closed to camping for revegation purposes (you will see the signs) near the big rocks at the western end of the pond. I only lost the herd path once near the slide but found it again soon enough, nice view at the summit! I hope this helps....... this is a great hike to do after a good rainfall as the Nancy cascades would be running well then.

The herd path from the pond to the summit is less than a mile (.6 I think?) It took my wife and I about 40 minutes to reach the canister at the top. The trail is easy to follow, but gets very steep after the slide.

Keep in mind that the path does not go up the slide, but instead follows along the right hand side.

I didn't swim in the pond while I was there, so can't comment on that. Don't miss the view at the pond outlet where it pours into the Pemi. That view alone is worth the hike.

I seem to recall an inviting pool below Nancy Falls. There is a hardened tentsite with fire ring nearby as well, legal too (at least at the time), and suitable for two or three tents.

See our Trip Report from our hike there on Saturday

http://rbhayes.net/nancy.html

The Herd Path ( really more like a trail) is .65 miles long and very steep.

At the end of Norcross Pond there is a clearing with a no camping sign. The trail to teh summit starts behind you to your right. Go a 100 feet or so and take the left folk which takes you up and over to the slide. Right before the slide you will see the trail to the summit. (be sure to walk out onto the slide for a nice view and cool breeze) The trail is 2 - 3 feet wide and only had one blowdown on it Saturday. It is not marked but is a very very clear trail which takes you all the way to the cannister and a lookout to the North.

The best spot to get wet would be the Cascade at about 2.4 miles from the start and the far end of Norcross Pond. There is also a run off here from the dam that you can soak your feet in or fill water from - it was nice and cold on Sat.