RMC sign auction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandolphTrails

Reaction score
For those who might be interested in acquiring a bit of trails history and supporting one of the trail clubs, RMC is starting a new sign auction, shortly.

Details are here:

http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/stuffwesell/auction.html

The auction will be hosted by eBay and will begin on December 5, 2007. It will be a 7-day auction. Proceeds will support RMC's efforts.

Thanks.

Good news. I made what I thought were a couple of pretty aggressive bids last year, only to get shut out. I'll try again this year.

skibones said:
Does anyone know what price range the signs went for in previous years??

Last year, at least, it was a silent auction type set up... you emailed your bid and had no idea what others were bidding. (Don't know what the final bids were because I didn't win the sign I bid on.)

However, this year I suspect the signs are going to sell for a lot more since people will be able rebid if they see someone else is trying for the sign too. The AMC signs last year were sold in a public auction and went for anywhere from $200 to $500, if I remember correctly.

- Ivy

There were a few signs that no one bid on either, they were orphaned. You could get in touch with RMC afterwards and get one for like $10. I doubt that will happen this year assuming the bidding process is more public on ebay. At least that will raise more for the RMC.

Ivy's right. I bid on a couple of RMC signs in the $80 range, and on a couple of AMC signs for $100+ and got completely shut out.

RMC Trail Sign Auction

Last year, the average winning bid was $90... highest bid was $330. But, that was a silent auction.... Good luck to everyone!

If you've been lucky to get one of these signs and you hang it in your house, does anyone look at it wondering if you ripped it off the trail. I do have a friend that has a trail sign and she does get suspicious looks -she usually ends up explaining how she got it.

Stolen signs

There are plenty of signs out there that have been stolen. Just a side note - the RMC was planning on have the Lowe's Path sign from the summit of Mt. Adams up for auction this year. When Doug Mayer went up to replace the sign, he discovered that it had been stolen.

I'm sure it's hanging on a wall somewhere, making it's owner proud.

Years ago ('70s and '80s), a sport shop in Gorham, no longer in business, sold retired, beat-up AMC and RMC trail signs for $5. Not worth much; they sold slowly if at all, as I recall. (Presumably, the shop acquired them legally.) Auction is a much better fund raiser, but it also makes the signs more valuable, hence "collectible."

Moriah Sports in Gorham used to sell retired signs a few years back, he is most definitely still in business (and a good resource for the Northern Presidentials especially backcountry skiing).